LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 345 users in the forums

ESPN: Sam Bradford best in NFC West for 3rd down passing, Alex Smith worst

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Yes, here it is... now what, haters?

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/10/move-the-chains-niners-converting-under-new-oc.html

Quote:
Raye was the OC during this season's first three games. The Niners converted 10 of 41 third downs under Raye. That is 24 percent. Not too good. Mike Johnson has been the IC the past three games. The Niners have converted 21 of 42 first downs under Johnson. That is 50 percent. Very good.

With Raye, Smith had an overall QB rating of 66.2. His rating on third down was 31.6 (15 of 33, 154 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT). With Johnson, Smith has an overall rating of 82.7. His rating on third down is 72.7 (18 of 32, 202 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT). With Raye, nine of Smith's 15 third-down completions (60%) did not result in a first down. With Johnson, four of Smith's 18 third-down completions (22%) haven't resulted in a first down. It's very annoying when QBs complete third-down passes short of a first down. Don't you think? It's been said that the Niners have done a better job of putting themselves in "more manageable" third-down situations under Johnson. Kind of. Under Johnson, 17 of their 42 third downs (40%) have been in third-and-short (less than five yards). Under Raye, 14 of their 41 third downs (34%) were in third-and-short.

Yes, now he is kicking Hall and Anderson's ass, dominant QB's from the finest division in the league. Championship!
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by boast:
i wonder what the avg. yards to gain first down on third down is per player? i bet Alex's is the longest.

good point, but the trick is, if it is the longest, it is partly his fault as well. It's not like Sing only inserted Smith on 3rd downs. Gore has been having a good year overall, so you can't really say it's because the running game has stunk. But I do agree that would be an interesting stat to look at.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Joecool:

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/10/move-the-chains-niners-converting-under-new-oc.html

Quote:
Raye was the OC during this season's first three games. The Niners converted 10 of 41 third downs under Raye. That is 24 percent. Not too good. Mike Johnson has been the IC the past three games. The Niners have converted 21 of 42 first downs under Johnson. That is 50 percent. Very good.

With Raye, Smith had an overall QB rating of 66.2. His rating on third down was 31.6 (15 of 33, 154 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT). With Johnson, Smith has an overall rating of 82.7. His rating on third down is 72.7 (18 of 32, 202 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT). With Raye, nine of Smith's 15 third-down completions (60%) did not result in a first down. With Johnson, four of Smith's 18 third-down completions (22%) haven't resulted in a first down. It's very annoying when QBs complete third-down passes short of a first down. Don't you think? It's been said that the Niners have done a better job of putting themselves in "more manageable" third-down situations under Johnson. Kind of. Under Johnson, 17 of their 42 third downs (40%) have been in third-and-short (less than five yards). Under Raye, 14 of their 41 third downs (34%) were in third-and-short.

Well we all know Johnson is a better OC.

Now think how much better he will look with Troy Smith than Alex Smith.

I'd love it if Troy was much better, but lets not make the assumption he's better. ONE game is a very small sample size and Troys stats look alot different if Walker doesn't catch that prayer throw at the one.

Don't get me wrong...I'd LOVE it if Troy because the next great QB for the Niners, but saying he's better than Smith right now is kinda ludicrous. Its ONE game.

Tom Brady 6th rounder coming in for the injured Drew bledsoe ..we all know what happened there.

Not saying this will happen for us but don't knock it out just yet
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Quote:

Yes, now he is kicking Hall and Anderson's ass, dominant QB's from the finest division in the league. Championship!

Way to deliberately side-step the whole reason for this article being posted... or is your thought process otherwise challenged?

Quote:

deflection from failed theory... how very cute

Nice find oldman. Now they will debunk the very statistic they tried to use. LOL.

On another note...I cant wait for Alex to be gone so we can all stop b*ching and debating each other over such miniscule stupid sht.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Quote:

I'd love it if Troy was much better, but lets not make the assumption he's better. ONE game is a very small sample size and Troys stats look alot different if Walker doesn't catch that prayer throw at the one.

Don't get me wrong...I'd LOVE it if Troy because the next great QB for the Niners, but saying he's better than Smith right now is kinda ludicrous. Its ONE game.

Tom Brady 6th rounder coming in for the injured Drew bledsoe ..we all know what happened there.

Not saying this will happen for us but don't knock it out just yet

I'm not...its too early to judge either way.

Quote:

No assumptions yet. However, he has shown some nice intangible abilities than what we have seen. Alex is able to play in two weeks and the coach has decided to go with the "unknown" QB. In fact, not just Singletary. This includes Mike Martz and we all know how Nolan felt about Alex.

Nolan and Singletary are coaches who want that "safe" play and even they didn't like the play they were getting or not getting out of Alex. Look, I'm turning this into Alex again.

OK, the fact is, it can't get any worse for a 2-7 team who just got their 2nd win in spite of coaching almost losing the game for us. In the past, coaching HAS lost the game for us and our players weren't able to control that. Troy Smith, in a way, did control that.
Originally posted by Shaj:
i wonder what the avg. yards to gain first down on third down is per player? i bet Alex's is the longest.

good point, but the trick is, if it is the longest, it is partly his fault as well. It's not like Sing only inserted Smith on 3rd downs. Gore has been having a good year overall, so you can't really say it's because the running game has stunk. But I do agree that would be an interesting stat to look at.

If you have seen the play calling you wouldnt say that.
  • dj43

Quote:

No assumptions yet. However, he has shown some nice intangible abilities than what we have seen. Alex is able to play in two weeks and the coach has decided to go with the "unknown" QB. In fact, not just Singletary. This includes Mike Martz and we all know how Nolan felt about Alex.

Nolan and Singletary are coaches who want that "safe" play and even they didn't like the play they were getting or not getting out of Alex. Look, I'm turning this into Alex again.

OK, the fact is, it can't get any worse for a 2-7 team who just got their 2nd win in spite of coaching almost losing the game for us. In the past, coaching HAS lost the game for us and our players weren't able to control that. Troy Smith, in a way, did control that.
It is sad that the consensus seems to be that the players won the game DESPITE the coaching.
Lol The Alex Smith era is finally over!

Originally posted by dj43:

Quote:

It is sad that the consensus seems to be that the players won the game DESPITE the coaching.

In this case, the safe game plan is called for considering there is a 3rd stringer starting.

However, it is NEVER sad when that player doesn't sink down with this safe play and comes through when called upon.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Quote:

Way to deliberately side-step the whole reason for this article being posted... or is your thought process otherwise challenged?

So, Smith's rating went from rated last in the division to third in a weak division. How am I supposed to use this metric to demonstrate he is a good QB? Is "liking" Alex Smith more important to you than the team or winning?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by footballxpaul:

So Alex has lousy third down stats (including post Raye - not sure why everyone is excited about a passer rating in the 70's) because of the play calling? Why is his red zone rating high then? Because of his capabilties in spite of the play calling I suppose? Can't have it both ways...
Originally posted by footballxpaul:

So Alex has lousy third down stats (including post Raye - not sure why everyone is excited about a passer rating in the 70's) because of the play calling? Why is his red zone rating high then? Because of his capabilties in spite of the play calling I suppose? Can't have it both ways...

The play calling in and out of the red zone has been completely different. It's more conservative when we are out of the redzone. Plus teams are less likely to blitz when in the redzone for fear of getting burnt.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Its because the oline don't block good for him.

Our WRs drop balls

Oc calls bad plays

Coach Sing is mean and yells at him

The pressure is to much on 3rd down.
Share 49ersWebzone