There are 178 users in the forums

ESPN: Sam Bradford best in NFC West for 3rd down passing, Alex Smith worst

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Give Sam Bradford some weapons Rams would dominate the NFC West for the next decade. Scouts were right comparing him to Peyton Manning.

Even the Rams D has showed up this season.

It's crucial we "hit it out of the ball park" come April.

No no no don't give that kid any more weapons!!!!
I'd be more interested in seeing the % of these 3rd downs in relation to yards to go conversion. Sure seems like Alex was in an awful lot of 3rd and longs... which we all know are far more difficult to convert when in conjunction to a poor pass blocking OL and very average receivers.
WEll thats cool.

I mean i take this with the same grain, when people knocked when it also said that Smith is second in Red Zone percentage league wide.

So if most said that stat didnt mean anything, then in my opinion neither does this one, cuz league wide is more important than division or conference.

Just saying u cant say knock that stat which is true, then pay attention to this one. Thats just blatent bias right there. .
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Nov 2, 2010 at 11:58 AM ]
repost
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Nov 2, 2010 at 11:56 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 76Razor:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Sam Bradford - 101.2 passer rating on third downs
Matt Hasselbeck - 76.5
Derek Anderson - 63.6
Max Hall - 55.1
Alex Smith - 54.8

Troy Smith is not ranked because he does not have enough stats to be meaningful.

Oh, and Shaun Hill is 88.7 in third down passer rating with the Lions this year.

link to ESPN analysis

this is a great stat to stare at and realize that we have issues, thanks. but what sucks is your planted smiley face. see, this is the kinda gloating that sucks. BTW i am not an alex fan or hater.
Biggest difference is that though the Rams have Steven Jackson, though don't always run him up the gut on first and second downs and then expect the QB to bail them out on 3rd down. The play calling itself has been the biggest problem on 3rd down, not the QB.

The Rams are a MUCH better team than most Niner fans here realize. I fear the next game against them may not go well. Their defense is VERY good - designed by one of the best defensive minds in the game. Spag is also bright enough to turn the offense over to Andy Reid disciple Pat Shurmur. They are playing very well and should not be taken lightly. It will be a BIG win if the 49ers beat them.

No, we are bad because we don't have a QB who can help the offense like Bradford does.

As to the bold:
Steven Jackson: 3.9 per carry for 2 TDs, 17 catches, 169 yds at 9.9 per, 0 receiving TDs.

Frank Gore: 4.2 per carry for 2 TDS, 38 catches, 348 yds at 9.2 per, 2 receiving TDs.

So, by these stats, it appears that Bradford is probably in worse 3rd down situations.

If you want to point to your other usual reason which is WRs:
Rams:
Best receiver: 2nd year 6 foot 210 pounder who has only 228 yards
#2: 4 year 6'2" 197 with 75 yards
#3: rookie 6'5" 215 with 78 yards

Guess who their starting TE is: Billy Bajema (need I say more)

Bradford has been sacked 17 times.
Originally posted by susweel:
Stop or you'll be accused of trolling.

well, it IS trolling, isn't it? deliberately making a new thread about nothing, that could have been incorporated into one of several official threads on the subject, in order to incite?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I'd be more interested in seeing the % of these 3rd downs in relation to yards to go conversion. Sure seems like Alex was in an awful lot of 3rd and longs... which we all know are far more difficult to convert when in conjunction to a poor pass blocking OL and very average receivers.

Steven Jackson only averages 3.9 per carry whereas Gore is at 4.2. Now in what way would they be better off on 3rd downs if our running game has been better?

Gore also dominates Jacksons stats as a receiver. There top receiver has under 300 yards receiving.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

well, it IS trolling, isn't it? deliberately making a new thread about nothing, that could have been incorporated into one of several official threads on the subject, in order to incite?

not too mention they said f**k the red zone percentage stat. and now some want to focus on this one. too funny

That's exactly what this is!!!
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 76Razor:
Matt Hasselbeck - 76.5
Derek Anderson - 63.6
Max Hall - 55.1
Alex Smith - 54.8

Troy Smith is not ranked because he does not have enough stats to be meaningful.

Oh, and Shaun Hill is 88.7 in third down passer rating with the Lions this year.

link to ESPN analysis

this is a great stat to stare at and realize that we have issues, thanks. but what sucks is your planted smiley face. see, this is the kinda gloating that sucks. BTW i am not an alex fan or hater.
Biggest difference is that though the Rams have Steven Jackson, though don't always run him up the gut on first and second downs and then expect the QB to bail them out on 3rd down. The play calling itself has been the biggest problem on 3rd down, not the QB.

The Rams are a MUCH better team than most Niner fans here realize. I fear the next game against them may not go well. Their defense is VERY good - designed by one of the best defensive minds in the game. Spag is also bright enough to turn the offense over to Andy Reid disciple Pat Shurmur. They are playing very well and should not be taken lightly. It will be a BIG win if the 49ers beat them.

No, we are bad because we don't have a QB who can help the offense like Bradford does.

As to the bold:
Steven Jackson: 3.9 per carry for 2 TDs, 17 catches, 169 yds at 9.9 per, 0 receiving TDs.

Frank Gore: 4.2 per carry for 2 TDS, 38 catches, 348 yds at 9.2 per, 2 receiving TDs.

So, by these stats, it appears that Bradford is probably in worse 3rd down situations.

If you want to point to your other usual reason which is WRs:
Rams:
Best receiver: 2nd year 6 foot 210 pounder who has only 228 yards
#2: 4 year 6'2" 197 with 75 yards
#3: rookie 6'5" 215 with 78 yards

Guess who their starting TE is: Billy Bajema (need I say more)

Bradford has been sacked 17 times.

all very telling signs. stats (in this case) tell the awful truth. however, can we say that coaching/play calling is a factor? predictability? let's see where stats are at with t smith, when available-if available.

Matt Hasselbeck - 76.5
Derek Anderson - 63.6
Max Hall - 55.1
Alex Smith - 54.8

link to ESPN analysis

Wow, what a difference a legit QB makes for a "rebuilding" team.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
this should go in NFL talk or the Alex Smith thread.

I have an idea, let's just have one monolithic thread called "Official: 49ers thread" and we post everything in there.

Me thinks you want to sweep dirt under a carpet someplace.
this should go in NFL talk or the Alex Smith thread.

I have an idea, let's just have one monolithic thread called "Official: 49ers thread" and we post everything in there.

Me thinks you want to sweep dirt under a carpet someplace.

seriously, this is kind of pathological with you. Focus on something else on the team for awhile. Alex is standing on the sideline with his arm in a sling, so who cares what his 3rd down passing stats are?

And, not to be all forum police on you, but this really could go in a number of other threads, or in NFL talk. It adds nothing new to the discussion of the 49ers and only clutters up the boards with more unnecessary arguments about a QB who isn't even playing right now, when there are a lot of other problems/issues with the team that could be talked about. But some people only want to talk about the QB, or that is all they are able to talk about. One QB. On a team with 53 players.
Bradford is going to own us for years to come if we don't get our s**t together
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Steven Jackson only averages 3.9 per carry whereas Gore is at 4.2. Now in what way would they be better off on 3rd downs if our running game has been better?

Gore also dominates Jacksons stats as a receiver. There top receiver has under 300 yards receiving.

Well those stats are nice and pretty, but they don't definitively shine a light on what I wanted to know...
Share 49ersWebzone