There are 88 users in the forums

Which Smith should start Week 10?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which Smith should start Week 10?

I think there is a chance Sing sticks with Troy Smith until the wheels fall off for Troy Smith too. And that will happen. It's just a matter of time...
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Missed most of the game. Cant wait to watch it.

The first 3 quarters will make your eyes bleed.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think there is a chance Sing sticks with Troy Smith until the wheels fall off for Troy Smith too. And that will happen. It's just a matter of time...

Sux for Troy, but I can live with anything that helps get Sing canned.

I really believe that as well.
I would not watch the game if Alex starts. I have not missed a game in 20+ years. It would be the first in decades.

LB
[ Edited by leebert81 on Nov 1, 2010 at 4:27 AM ]
Originally posted by leebert81:
I would not watch the game if Alex started. I have not missed a game in 20+ years. It would be the first in decades.

LB

I missed nearly all of the Panthers game last week after going 12 years without missing a game, and honestly I didn't care. Why? Alex Smith. I'm so tired of watching such garbage play from the most important position on the field.

I did catch the 4th quarter though. But after seeing Troy Smith today, my curiosity has been sparked again. I know he's probably not world class but he's a whole lot more exciting than the guy I've been wasting half a decade on.
I think Alex should start with Troy as the back up. If Alex struggles in the 1st half, pull him and let Troy come in. Troy worked his magic in the 4th qtr yesterday so a half should be enough to save the game. Alex gives the Niners a passing threat at least.......
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by BobS:
It's hard to read too much into beating a terrible Denver team. But Troy Smith played pretty well. He's certainly way better than David Carr. Whether he is better than Alex for the rest of the season I don't know. He didn't play badly though.

The 49ers always do this. Lose tons of games. Then go on a meaningless winning streak to give false hope and just miss the playoffs. We are going to do it again...

The early season schedule was clearly harder BTW. And now all the softballs are lined up. So I don't think it's a fair comparison. Having said that Troy played well and he may get the opportunity to continue.

I have this same fear about Troy Smith, he played way better than I expected. I am hoping it wasn't because the defense did not prepare well enough because of lack of film. Right now it seems he has the promise to at least be an average or better NFL quarterback. A guy who could at least lead the team to 10 wins a year until we find the next Jeff Garcia. I didn't say Young or Montana, as we have had 3 HOF Qbs, I don't think the gods that rule this sport will give us anymore. Yes 3, I think a lot of zoners forget about Y.A. Tittle, I was not a fan in his day, but I know my 49er history.

That's exactly what they are going to do. I guarantee it.

Yeah and then it'd be really bad if Sing keeps his job. As long as we miss the playoffs he needs to f**king go, but if it looks like he's found some hope in a QB and then he might convince the Dorks to give him another shot. I like Troy Smith but I think ultimately for the best of the team, Sing needs to go.

~ Dingleberry will keep job.
~ We will miss playoffs.
~ Provide false hope for the future.
~ Mess up draft position.

The perfect storm... Honesly it would be better to tank. That way we start over from Dingleberry and we get a new QB too. Even Troy I don't think is the answer.

It would be best if the Dorks had the balls to fire Sing before the bye tomorrow but it won't happen. I just don't want him to keep his job unless he gets us to the playoffs, and that was supposedly the original condition or whatever that he basically needed to make the playoffs. But you know the attention span of the Dorks, it'll be just like 07 where he wins 2 or 3 games at the end like Nolan did with a scrappy new QB nobody heard of and then keeps his job with a little less power, then we suck the next season and he gets fired midway through. It's a never ending cycle. This coaching carousel thing is a f**king football nightmare.

I like Troy, I think he might be able to be like a Garcia type of QB. He played a really bad defense minus Dumervil and Ayers, their 2 starting pass rushing OLBs, but he still played well with some of Sing's shackles on him. Atleast he did pretty well in the 2nd half anyway. But I'm scared he's going to save Sing's job.

I'm scared he's going to save Dingleberry's job too. It's the perfect storm and the worst case scenario. You can't salvage this season. You don't fix 2 - 6. Any wins or streak from here on out is just false hope. I like Troy Smith and he has some skills but he played a horrendous defense and I don't know if he is the long term answer anyway.

The best case scenario is Dingleberry gets fired, we get a new QB and we get a new secondary and probably a Strong GM so the YORKIES can't mess any more stuff up. Until we get that we haven't done a damn thing. Just false hope and 3, 4, 5 wins or whatever on some meaningless streak that provides false hope.

I don't know if Simpletarys job is really on the line. I might be wrong but isn't he signed for 2 more seasons beyond this one? Maybe the Yorks don't fire him on that alone

Despite our shotty record a "meaningless" winning streak isn't as meaningless as you may think. Its unlikely that SEA or ARI wins next week leaving us 2 games behind in our division with pretty much 5 games remaining in it. Its still very possible to make the playoffs but the big question is what is better for the future of the franchise? Making the playoffs or finding a competent GM and HC to run the team?
Originally posted by kemp_j:
I think Alex should start with Troy as the back up. If Alex struggles in the 1st half, pull him and let Troy come in. Troy worked his magic in the 4th qtr yesterday so a half should be enough to save the game. Alex gives the Niners a passing threat at least.......

why just start Troy and if he really struggles then that lets us know one more QB to get rid off in the offseason along with Smith and Carr
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by kemp_j:

why just start Troy and if he really struggles then that lets us know one more QB to get rid off in the offseason along with Smith and Carr

Start Alex because minus interceptions and fumbles, he gives the Niners a better chance to win.

Remember "You play to win the game".........

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Once Alex is healthy he'll be in there. Sing isn't going to make a switch with Troy until he has "exhausted" everything with Alex.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Once Alex is healthy he'll be in there. Sing isn't going to make a switch with Troy until he has "exhausted" everything with Alex.

I say 1 more quarter of Alex at the stick, and the fans will make that decision.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Originally posted by mayo49:

I say 1 more quarter of Alex at the stick, and the fans will make that decision.

I agree, now with this performance from Troy, I think Sing will be on a real short leash with Alex.
Niners come home to play the Rams, last time we played at home Alex was practically booed off the field despite a mediocre performance/win over the Raiders. No way Alex starts after Troy's win/instrumental-showing in the UK.

-It's simple logic, the sentiment right now in S.F is that the season is already over, so the Yorks still want to pack the seats, and give the 49ers fans an actual reason to come out to the remaining (worthless) home games on our schedule.

Seriously guys, the Giants are in the World Series. -Nobody will want to come out to the Stick in 2 weeks in glee of hoping Alex Smith returns from injury, and somehow turns into 'Superman'.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by gtowns:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Alex got a Win too and the team that he beat kicked the hell out of the team that Troy Smith just beat.

So I think maybe we should dial back the blind hatred and let's see where we're at. If Sing makes the move then I'll cheer on Troy Smith. If not then I cheer on Alex Smith.

Man, 186 votes and over 3/4 of them in favor of a guy who barely beat a crappy Denver team. Unreal.

~Ceadder

if Alex was playing was playing we would have lost to a crappy team.... Panthers?

Don't be a Tool. #11 was playing pretty decently and got injured on a missed block.

~Ceadder

"Pretty decently" is not how you win in the NFL, if you haven't realized that after the last 5 yrs with Alex Smith at QB, than you need to start following the team that picks up Alex in the offseason.
Share 49ersWebzone