LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 341 users in the forums

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

Solid B.

He can move around in the pocket - which is CRITICAL with a rookie O-line. He has good presence. Was not phased about his sudden start. He threw the slants nicely. BTW, nice to see the quick slants work their way back into our playbook... That used to be "bread-and-butter" stuff for the glory year Niner teams.

Troy will give us a fighting chance this season - even if he isn't the best QB on the roster according to some - while our rookies on the O-line jell.

Nice thought is that a mobile QB with accuracy will excel in the WCO.

Bring on GRUDEN!!!
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
one lucky throw, some good moves with his feet, no mistakes. B
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
one lucky throw, some good moves with his feet, no mistakes. B
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I thought he looked good, especially after just one week of first team reps.

But I didn't think he looked like someone that will beat good teams. He just a looked a little too erratic and inaccurate.

I don't want to tear the guy down because he made some great plays and got us a win. But that was a pretty bad team we went up against, and we punted a lot.

I think that will improve with more reps..........how much I don't know.....and neither does anyone else.

I agree AXE, but if he played against most any other Defense in the League they woulda knocked the ball out of his hand like Manny did Orton. His ball protection is atrocious. And he got lucky as hell twice. First on the fumble and then the untouched Pass to Walker.

~Ceadder
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He's real short. He looked about in inch shorter than Fwank when he was standing next to him. I give him a C, the team looked horrible in the first half.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 31, 2010 at 1:42 PM ]
Everyone knows how much I admire Troy Smith (I stated in the pregame that I thought he would play well), but let's get real here. He made about 4-5 very good throws today, got a lot of good luck (Walker play, blown coverage on Crabtree), but made some erratic throws as well. He's a work in progress.

This is still Alex Smith's team, and he still is the better QB of the two. He just needs to ignore Singletary and just play the game. I'm hoping the time off will help him psychologically become a better QB.

I think people tend to forget that he was playing pretty well against the Panthers before he went down, and Troy was playing against a team that just gave up 549 points seven days ago.
B+

But I didn't think he looked like someone that will beat good teams. He just a looked a little too erratic and inaccurate.

I don't want to tear the guy down because he made some great plays and got us a win. But that was a pretty bad team we went up against, and we punted a lot.

I think that will improve with more reps..........how much I don't know.....and neither does anyone else.

63% and no interceptions with a win on a team that has been killed by QB play and you all suggest that he was erractic? LOL amazing!

While I agree somewhat with your assessment, I bolded the part I disagree with. Yes, it was a bad team and yes we punted a lot but running the ball up the middle 85 times and doing 4 3rd down draws contributed 100% to this. I blame the play-calling solely on how terrible we were on third down.

I mean, they're afraid to let him throw the ball? And when we get the lead, it is truly a pathetic offense we run. I don't get why we don't play to win. We just play to not lose.
Originally posted by ttime1:

63% and no interceptions with a win on a team that has been killed by QB play and you all suggest that he was erractic? LOL amazing!

They're still holding on to the other Smith, the lesser Smith, the s**tty QB that's been starting for us for half a decade now

Originally posted by Ceadderman:

I agree AXE, but if he played against most any other Defense in the League they woulda knocked the ball out of his hand like Manny did Orton. His ball protection is atrocious. And he got lucky as hell twice. First on the fumble and then the untouched Pass to Walker.

~Ceadder

agreed, but overall a decent performance considering he went from 3rd to 1st inside a week.

I think he knocked the ball out of his own hands on that lucky fumble recovery.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 31, 2010 at 1:40 PM ]
No way you can give this guy a solid B. C'mon what game were you guys watching? If this was 9ers Saints we'da gotten our asses kicked in.

This is 9ers Broncos. A team that has ZERO Pass Rush and has Bad Run Defense. You make the kind of mistakes that T.Smith was making today and this is yet another Loss.

I'm happy that we got the W and I'll take it gratefully but I'm not gonna give the kid a B. He doesn't deserve it and you know it. Your letting your emotions affect your grade.

~Ceadder
I gave him an A, but its a Troy Smith "A" and not an objective "A". For the situation he was put in, I thought he was phenomenal. For an NFL QB, I'd probably give him a B.
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
A

One week of practice, and he has the best QB performance of the year. Definitely cannot ask more than that.

Not to mention he was working with a limited play book.

Alex fanboys will find a reason to dismiss Troy's performance. A lucky throw (one Alex would have never attempted due to lack of testicular fortitude) or "it's the Broncos and they suck" will probably be the main reasons.

it was an awful pass that should not have been attempted.

That pass was thrown on the money! What are you all talking about? He did what playmakers do and you all are extreme haters!

No one gets angry when Brady was throwing jump balls to Moss.

Even if it was intercepted, you can say it was a great punt.
Share 49ersWebzone