LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 230 users in the forums

Please dont have a late season surge

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i refuse to believe our defense is this bad, maybe a pass rusher is all we need but by FAR the biggest weakness is QB, i even said this before the season started, and alex smith reared his ugly head yet again. Coach and QB should be number 1 priority, hire gruden and draft luck.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Mays needs to just look back for the ball when he's in coverage and he'll get his picks. He was in great position on alot of plays on Sunday, he just needs to locate the ball when it's in the air. He's doing a good job.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Mays needs to just look back for the ball when he's in coverage and he'll get his picks. He was in great position on alot of plays on Sunday, he just needs to locate the ball when it's in the air. He's doing a good job.

He did an awesome job on one play in particular, Moore threw it deep to Steve Smith in the endzone and Mays not only covered him but almost picked it off.
Originally posted by 9erred:
The Niners need Locker or Luck. To pick in the top spots they need to continue there present tragjectory and it will happen.

Worst case scenario would be if they win a few games, drop to 7 or 8 and take Mallet way to early.

2010 is OVER. The niners need a qb, take one for the team and tank the rest of the season. It should not be that hard, look how bad you play when you are trying to win.

why do we have to draft a QB in the first round?? Wait and see who is out ther evia free agency i.e: vick, etc and draft one of the stud CB's from LSU or Nebraska, both of those cats will be shutdown cb's. we don't have one. i say we draft the best available at our main need (which we will know more of after free agency)
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by mayo49:

He did an awesome job on one play in particular, Moore threw it deep to Steve Smith in the endzone and Mays not only covered him but almost picked it off.

Exactly, that was a great play. He's really surprised me in his coverage skills. He's going to be a good one.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
i refuse to believe our defense is this bad, maybe a pass rusher is all we need but by FAR the biggest weakness is QB, i even said this before the season started, and alex smith reared his ugly head yet again. Coach and QB should be number 1 priority, hire gruden and draft luck.

our D is THAT bad. you don't see it because of the obvious Alex Smith hatred.
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by verb1der:
This thread is sickening, but Susweel has a valid point, history will repeat itself.

1-15 = tearing the whole house down to completely rebuild, and not just promote an assistant out of convenience.

I don't think we need to tear the house down. Yes, there are some key vets that need to be replaced (Alex, Nate, Parys and Shawntae come to mind), but there's some young talent on this team that just needs proper NFL coaching/scheme design to be effective.

IMO, along with the natural/annual influx of talent we're only a real head coach and a real QB away from being competitive (and that's the first step).

I think the coaching staff needs to be completely rebuilt, the staff themselves need to be on the same page. This season has been nothing but failure with Raye and band-aid replacement MJ.

And we need to stop saying this team is so talented, it might be true this team is talented, but in reality all NFL teams have talented players, what it takes is a real coaching staff to take that talent to another level.

Agree 100% that the coaching staff needs to be rebuilt. My point was, we don't necessarily need to overhaul the entire roster since there is some young talent at key positions that just need NFL-caliber coaching in order to develop properly.

That's a good point. Although all I really care for is VD, Willis, Gore, Crabtree, Mays, and Andy Lee.

The rest are dispensable.

People are really overrating Mays he hasn't done nothing besides cost us the game yesterday.

Mays has played all of 7 games. It's way to early to say either way how Mays will turn out. So far, he's flashed potential and made some bad plays...very, very typical for a rookie playing his first handful of games.

I dont know...earl thomas has played pretty well....he's a rookie

And it's too early to say definitively about Thomas too. That's all I'm saying, let's allow rookies to have a few years (or even a complete season if you don't want to wait that long) under their belts before we either annoint or bash them.
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

our D is THAT bad. you don't see it because of the obvious Alex Smith hatred.

he's right our Defense is horrid!! Both our CB's would be #2's on the majority of the other teams. Spencer is a nickel at best. Goldson is a SS playing at FS. Parys Haralson sucks man way overrated here!! Manny is a waste, most of his play he slacks, then there's the int against the raiders or his downfield punt coverage tackle of steve smith, but he's crap. Spikes is old, and slow.
We have only 1 solid d-lineman and that's Smith. franklin is showing us that last yr was a 1 yr wonder.
That don't have to try hard to do that...
i never understood the whole "tank the rest of the season for a higher draft spot".

you need to assess your current talent by letting them play-AND PLAY WELL. that means, competing on the field and TRYING to win.

if you don't know what you have, you will not know what to draft. sure, we could use a QB, but we could also use secondary help and a pass rusher and a boat load of other s**t.

also, by letting some of the yonger guys play, you give them experience to step in next year. this helps you decide whether player X should be resigned or let go *cough cough goldson*

you don't tank for future picks.

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I sure don't want the first pick in the draft again. I'd rather be somewhere in the 5-10 range. You can trade out and add value from that point.

You don't have to grab a QB in the first round. We did that already. Look what happened.

If we waste another first round pick on yet another bust it will be a decade or more before this team gets it right.

We have two #1 overall picks on our roster, Carr and Smith. Many highly drafted QBs have busted out.
Originally posted by islamicprophet:
When will the fanbase finally wake the hell up. The problem with the team is not Alex Smith. Its the horrible coaching staff and the most overated defense in recent nfl history...including the most overrated player in the nfl PATRICK" I cant read a screen pass" WILLIS.

Its time to trade Gore and Willis in the offseason.

Gore for a 2nd round pick ... he will be 28 years old

Willis for Mario Williams or Asamougha or Revis... the mlb is not an importnat position in the 3-4 defense...and hes a good player not a great player...that means overated

Then get Gruden or Charlie Weis to coach.
make tony Dungy President of all Football Operations

You're half right. Alex isn't the ONLY problem, but he is a HUGE part of the problem. In the NFL (as in life), you only have a certain (and typically small) window of opportunity to prove to others you can do the job you've been hired to do. In the case of Smith, his job is to win games for his team. He hasn't been able to do that, regardless of the dynamics around him.

So whether or not Smith is completely or partially at fault for our non-winning records since 2005, is irrelevant. Smith was hired (and paid millions of dollars) to win, and it hasn't happened in his 6 years while under contract.

It's time to move on. That's just life, bro.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Oct 25, 2010 at 12:44:14 ]
This franchise has been the master of winning meaningless December games. We've seen how that has carried over to the next season. All those wins against scrubs late in the year and promises of seasons never ending in December again has really helped this franchise earn a winning mentality. I mean you can just tell they are still feeling the emotional high of those wins against Detroit and St. Louis from last year. They've been displaying it every Sunday this season.
Originally posted by SwissNiner1255:
I have a different view, actually.

The plan should be:

1. Win the Denver game and go to 2-6; it is still realistic, since the Broncos just gave up 59 points against Oakland.

2. Hope that the other teams in the division end up to 4-4 in two weeks; not unrealistic, given their schedules.

3. Get Alex back after the bye; a non-throwing shoulder may heal enough in three weeks; surgery may be postponed until the end of the season.

4. Play the two homegames after the bye as our last chance and get on a positive roll.

5. Win the five remaining division games plus one (Tampa ?, 8-8) and hope for the best.

6. Reduce the rookie mistakes. As the season progresses, rookies should learn.

My main concern in all this: how can they generate some offense without Alex in the Wembley game ?

Still, the team can make it.

That's the plan for the rest of the season. The Yorks can think about firing Singletary (or selling the team ;-)) after the season ends.

In the meantime, Go Niners !

nice vibes!! SELL THIS TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It isn't like any of us have a say on how the season is going to play out, but I think the majority of the board agrees it would be best to lose as many remaining games as possible and try to get ahead of the Bills who will also be looking for a Qb in the top 5.
Share 49ersWebzone