Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by CaptainTabasco:
whoever we replace Sing with i just hope its not gruden... i am praying to god that its not gruden

My money says it's gonna be somebody we don't expect. Hopefully it'll be Marty Mornhinweg. His WCO ripped us a new ass last Sunday.

I agree with both posters.

Gruden is quite a way down my list of candidates, too, CptTabasco. I just don't think he's that much of a break from Singletary. Better X's and O's, but he's cut from the same rah-rah charismatic style of coaching as Sing.

I think you're certainly right about it being a dark horse candidate, SnakePlissken. What top flight coach in his right mind wants to take over our reclimation project anyway? I like the Mornhinweg suggestion, good resume, a dash of Niners' pedigree, and I think his type of offense is well suited to our roster. Better yet, I think it's a feasible hire.

Marty Mornhinweg would literally be the safe/cheap choice! He's a damn good coach/ballsy offensive mastermind who has out-coached many teams at Philly. Dude was literally screwed by Detroit after one season. He coached up Garcia (whilst being on both the 49ers and Eagles), Favre, Hasselbeck, and McNabb. Hell, even Kevin Kolb's mechanics looked (early) Hasselbeck-esq last Sunday.

I just see Gruden being a horrible idea at this time (even though he's a highly qualified candidate). This team is fed up with motivational speakers/yellers, they need some fresh air.

Mornhinweg would be Nolan 2.0 really good coordinator... bad head coach

You know the thing about Nolan is I don't think he was ever a good coordinator. The Ravens defense was so good during his tenure that anyone would have looked good "coaching" them. Truth is Marvin Lewis BUILT that defense and in my mind, only he can lay claim to it.

Nowhere else has Nolan gone and built a good defense from the ground up.

He was fired in Denver because even with Dumervil putting up (around) 20 sacks, they were still overall terrible. And if you want to know how he's doing in Miami.....see last week's game against the Patriots.

Did you know that Adalius Thomas first began to emerge on the Ravens when Nolan was the DC ? Suggs and Reed are in the same boat, both of them were drafted under Nolan (Suggs best career sack numbers came under Nolan). Lewis began the build of that defense and Nolan continued to build on his foundation and the defense continued to grow and develop under Rex Ryan as well. That team was fortunate to have 3 great DC's in succession, it also did not hurt that Ozzie Newsome did a tremendous job at the beginning of this decade with finding talent.

Did you also know Nolan was not fired in Denver, but resigned. And you can't expect a guy to switch defensive schemes whilst lacking the personnel to run it to have great success from day 1. Nolan helped lead Denver to a 6-0 start but eventually the lack of personnel became exposed and teams learned how to exploit them yet they still finished 7th overall in total defense (a defense that was ranked 29th the year prior).

In Miami they are currently ranked 7th overall in total defense. The last 2 weeks the performances haven't been great however they have dealt with the injury bug on the DL.

With the Giants he defense was fairly solid. His track as a DC speaks for itself, you can hate him as a HC all you want but to s**t on what he has done as a DC is blind hatred.

No, it isn't blind hatred. Nolan has done nothing to me personally for me to hate him, but facts are facts. Sure this is just some random guy on the internet talking, but I live in Baltimore. And everyone here knows that the Ravens are Ozzie Newsome's team.

Period.

HE and he alone has the final say in who gets drafted. He's the one that picked the star players you named, and while I'm sure Nolan had some input, it's doubtful it was little more than just that. Input. Hell, you can look at our roster if you need evidence that Nolan knows pretty much nothing about drafting defense.

He gave us Patrick Willis, but aside from him who else?

Lewis built Baltimore's D in to the monster it is. Newsome's drafting talents have kept them among the best. Nolan manage to not mess it up, but I wouldn't give him props for taking it to the next level. That's just flat-out not true.

As far as Denver, yes they finished 7th in yards allowed, but 12th in points allowed (that stat that matters more), allowing an average of over 30 points in their last four games. Want to guess why they didn't make the playoffs? So yea, he resigned but was likely going to be fired anyway.

And in Miami it's the same story. Third in total yards allowed, but 12th in total points, including last week's embarrassment versus the Pats. So while I wish him well, I have to say history isn't on his side here.

I'm not saying he's a terrible DC, I'm just saying that he's not a great one either.

Nolan gave us Clements, Justin Smith, Franklin, Walt Harris, McDonald, Haralson, Lawson, Brown & Goldson. He brought some talent to this team, and found some good situational talent. And Willis is actually credited moreso to Scot than to Nolan.

But good coaches don't necc. make good or great GM's, just like good players don't necc. equal good coaches and good coordinators don't always make good HC's.

As for Baltimore no he didn't draft those guys but they developed under him and flourished, again you can't argue with the numbers Suggs posted under Nolan. Ed Reed too. I never said Nolan took it to the next level, what he did was continue to grow and develop the guys that were there (like Adalius Thomas who played 7 different positions on defense under Nolan).

Again Denver lacked the personnel, thus why they got exploited. Thus why they added 7 players this offseason to the front 7, including 2 starters on the DL. Nolan did a fantastic job with what he had to work with. There was also a lot of talk of McDaniels not being a big fan of Nolan's aggressiveness on D and that is what led to his resignation.

Getting hired in Miami was the 2nd time he worked for Bill Parcells, and that in itself says something about Parcells' trust in his ability to coach the defensive side of the ball.

As for the Pats loss it has been pointed out that a bunch of the points scored were due to poor special teams play. And 12th in total points is still a formidable defense, that is just outside the top 10. That defense is performing better than they did last year, and have been doing it whilst being thin up front.

You should probably check the facts before trying to throw his ability to coach defenses under the bus.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Maybe the greatest extraordinary act would be to win one game.

If the Raiders win this week.....

If we lose to Oakland Singletary will be fired Monday morning.

This

Not gonna happen this soon. Only way I see him get fired to during the season is if we are 0-8.

Why wait till Monday.
Originally posted by AiNoKea:

Why wait till Monday.

Because a win can buy time for the Inevitable.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by Archie:
Mariucci would be great but you know he would get rid of Alex Smith and bring in his own quarterback.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Offensive minded coaches in the ranks:

Gruden
Martz
Mariucci
Morhinweg

Couldnt imagine York bringing in someone like Dungy or Cowher after the Singletary/Nolan debacle.

It'll prob come down to Gruden. Although Mariucci (2nd stint in SF ?) could be an interesting pick. After all, he rebuilt the team in 3 years after the "dynasty" fell.

Mooch didn't build that team. He was just the coach. Walsh rebuilt it when Eddie D. hired him away from Stanford for one final time -- and he served as GM.

Walsh found Garcia and also conducted a couple of drafts that brought some solid players onboard -- and also made a couple of key free agent signings.

Walsh built it. Mooch coached it -- and I'll give Mooch credit -- he coached it well.

But when Mooch couldn't recreate that success in Detroit -- that was telling. I don't think Mooch is the answer. I'm not sure if Gruden is either.

Thats the beauty of Mooch. He knows his limits. He wont try to impose his will and build a team that caters to his philosophy (see Mike Singletary). He'll take the group of players that he has and will coach them to the best of his ability. PLUS, he's a WCO guy....

I am totally cool with Mooch coming back...and you are right about how he'll adapt the offense to fit the players, and not the other way around. That's what he did with the Niners from Day 1 in 1997 (Young and Rice going down during his very first game).

I just don't know if Mooch is totally cool with coming back to work for this ownership.

Funny Mooch fact: Weird how his Niners career began and ended with a loss to Tampa Bay, huh?

Why wait till Monday.

I mean, if we lose to Oakland on Sunday, why wait till Monday to fire his ass.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
we can win it all this year!!

That's actually no joke. If this team could quit turning the ball over, they are probably as good as anyone. Over the last two years our games against the Vikings, Colts, Cardinals, Saints and Eagles all demonstrate that we are in the same ballpark as those contending for the championship. Too many mistakes. If we turned the turnover ratio to a net positive instead of a gaping negative, I think we can compete with anyone. This year, I'm afraid, we've dug the hole too deep. The turnaround would have to be miraculous.

Why wait till Monday.

#1 pick?
Originally posted by Joecool:

Why wait till Monday.

#1 pick?

Bench Alex Smith if you want the #1 pick, Alex Smith would at least net us a #5-#10 overall pick.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by CaptainTabasco:
whoever we replace Sing with i just hope its not gruden... i am praying to god that its not gruden

My money says it's gonna be somebody we don't expect. Hopefully it'll be Marty Mornhinweg. His WCO ripped us a new ass last Sunday.

I agree with both posters.

Gruden is quite a way down my list of candidates, too, CptTabasco. I just don't think he's that much of a break from Singletary. Better X's and O's, but he's cut from the same rah-rah charismatic style of coaching as Sing.

I think you're certainly right about it being a dark horse candidate, SnakePlissken. What top flight coach in his right mind wants to take over our reclimation project anyway? I like the Mornhinweg suggestion, good resume, a dash of Niners' pedigree, and I think his type of offense is well suited to our roster. Better yet, I think it's a feasible hire.

Marty Mornhinweg would literally be the safe/cheap choice! He's a damn good coach/ballsy offensive mastermind who has out-coached many teams at Philly. Dude was literally screwed by Detroit after one season. He coached up Garcia (whilst being on both the 49ers and Eagles), Favre, Hasselbeck, and McNabb. Hell, even Kevin Kolb's mechanics looked (early) Hasselbeck-esq last Sunday.

I just see Gruden being a horrible idea at this time (even though he's a highly qualified candidate). This team is fed up with motivational speakers/yellers, they need some fresh air.

Mornhinweg would be Nolan 2.0 really good coordinator... bad head coach

You know the thing about Nolan is I don't think he was ever a good coordinator. The Ravens defense was so good during his tenure that anyone would have looked good "coaching" them. Truth is Marvin Lewis BUILT that defense and in my mind, only he can lay claim to it.

Nowhere else has Nolan gone and built a good defense from the ground up.

He was fired in Denver because even with Dumervil putting up (around) 20 sacks, they were still overall terrible. And if you want to know how he's doing in Miami.....see last week's game against the Patriots.

Did you know that Adalius Thomas first began to emerge on the Ravens when Nolan was the DC ? Suggs and Reed are in the same boat, both of them were drafted under Nolan (Suggs best career sack numbers came under Nolan). Lewis began the build of that defense and Nolan continued to build on his foundation and the defense continued to grow and develop under Rex Ryan as well. That team was fortunate to have 3 great DC's in succession, it also did not hurt that Ozzie Newsome did a tremendous job at the beginning of this decade with finding talent.

Did you also know Nolan was not fired in Denver, but resigned. And you can't expect a guy to switch defensive schemes whilst lacking the personnel to run it to have great success from day 1. Nolan helped lead Denver to a 6-0 start but eventually the lack of personnel became exposed and teams learned how to exploit them yet they still finished 7th overall in total defense (a defense that was ranked 29th the year prior).

In Miami they are currently ranked 7th overall in total defense. The last 2 weeks the performances haven't been great however they have dealt with the injury bug on the DL.

With the Giants he defense was fairly solid. His track as a DC speaks for itself, you can hate him as a HC all you want but to s**t on what he has done as a DC is blind hatred.

No, it isn't blind hatred. Nolan has done nothing to me personally for me to hate him, but facts are facts. Sure this is just some random guy on the internet talking, but I live in Baltimore. And everyone here knows that the Ravens are Ozzie Newsome's team.

Period.

HE and he alone has the final say in who gets drafted. He's the one that picked the star players you named, and while I'm sure Nolan had some input, it's doubtful it was little more than just that. Input. Hell, you can look at our roster if you need evidence that Nolan knows pretty much nothing about drafting defense.

He gave us Patrick Willis, but aside from him who else?

Lewis built Baltimore's D in to the monster it is. Newsome's drafting talents have kept them among the best. Nolan manage to not mess it up, but I wouldn't give him props for taking it to the next level. That's just flat-out not true.

As far as Denver, yes they finished 7th in yards allowed, but 12th in points allowed (that stat that matters more), allowing an average of over 30 points in their last four games. Want to guess why they didn't make the playoffs? So yea, he resigned but was likely going to be fired anyway.

And in Miami it's the same story. Third in total yards allowed, but 12th in total points, including last week's embarrassment versus the Pats. So while I wish him well, I have to say history isn't on his side here.

I'm not saying he's a terrible DC, I'm just saying that he's not a great one either.

Nolan gave us Clements, Justin Smith, Franklin, Walt Harris, McDonald, Haralson, Lawson, Brown & Goldson. He brought some talent to this team, and found some good situational talent. And Willis is actually credited moreso to Scot than to Nolan.

But good coaches don't necc. make good or great GM's, just like good players don't necc. equal good coaches and good coordinators don't always make good HC's.

As for Baltimore no he didn't draft those guys but they developed under him and flourished, again you can't argue with the numbers Suggs posted under Nolan. Ed Reed too. I never said Nolan took it to the next level, what he did was continue to grow and develop the guys that were there (like Adalius Thomas who played 7 different positions on defense under Nolan).

Again Denver lacked the personnel, thus why they got exploited. Thus why they added 7 players this offseason to the front 7, including 2 starters on the DL. Nolan did a fantastic job with what he had to work with. There was also a lot of talk of McDaniels not being a big fan of Nolan's aggressiveness on D and that is what led to his resignation.

Getting hired in Miami was the 2nd time he worked for Bill Parcells, and that in itself says something about Parcells' trust in his ability to coach the defensive side of the ball.

As for the Pats loss it has been pointed out that a bunch of the points scored were due to poor special teams play. And 12th in total points is still a formidable defense, that is just outside the top 10. That defense is performing better than they did last year, and have been doing it whilst being thin up front.

You should probably check the facts before trying to throw his ability to coach defenses under the bus.

Read what I said dude. I said name me the good defensive players that Nolan DRAFTED, with Willis being the exception. I did forget about Goldson who is a good young player, but he isn't quite elite yet. The rest of the picks you named are totally negligible.

And for the last time, I'm not throwing his ability to coach underneath the bus. The FACTS support my argument. Good coaches aren't allowed to leave, period. Were he as good as you claim, he's still be in Denver. Hell, he'd still be here if that were that case.

I'm not saying he's terrible. Teams could certainly do worse.

I'm just saying that he's not all that great. His history (complete with statistics) support that argument. Have a nice day.

[ Edited by baltien on Oct 13, 2010 at 12:45:11 ]

Why wait till Monday.

#1 pick?

Bench Alex Smith if you want the #1 pick, Alex Smith would at least net us a #5-#10 overall pick.

I don't know about that. Based on his play to this point, benching Alex would mean a possible decrease in 2.6 turnovers per game.
NO MORE GAMES, NO MORE inexperianced coaches like dennis erickson, nowin, singletary, this ownership needs to, sorry i have to cuss, open their Fing wallets for a PROVEN head coach.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
NO MORE GAMES, NO MORE inexperianced coaches like dennis erickson, nowin, singletary, this ownership needs to, sorry i have to cuss, open their Fing wallets for a PROVEN head coach.

This
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

Erickson was actually not an inexperienced coach. He had previously coached Seattle and had a strong college resume (Miami) as well. He had other issues....but he might have been the best York hire of all (granted the competition is Nowin and Sing). He did poorly with the same roster that Mooch took to the second round in 2002 (going 7-9). Then the bottom fell out when management held a fire sale and got rid of Garcia and TO all at once.

And of course, they shouldn't have fired Mooch to begin with.

Why wait till Monday.

#1 pick?

I don't know about that. Based on his play to this point, benching Alex would mean a possible decrease in 2.6 turnovers per game.

Do you realize that is we had the #1 overall pick it would be 2005 draft all over again, only better:

QB debate = Luck and Locker = Smith and Rodgers, only Luck and Locker are better options coming outta college.

We had the option of taking Antrell Rolle at the time who was noted as the best DB in college. Patrick Peterson = Antrell Rolle (no comparison as a player, just the situation).

And Braylon Edwards could = Any WR most like Julio Jones, but I think this WR class is deep.
Share 49ersWebzone