LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 333 users in the forums

This Might Sound Crazy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
u son of a Bi***, you just jinxed possibly the best 9er RB in history.
Originally posted by prime21:
u son of a Bi***, you just jinxed possibly the best 9er RB in history.

I love Frank but I think Craig was a better all around back.

LB
Originally posted by Psinex:
But a little injury to Frank Gore might force the Niners offensive coaches to spread the ball around to Dixon, Westbrook, and de-prioritize the conservative run game. I think the offense would be stronger if we weren't so dependent on Gore. Westbrook can do what Gore does on screen plays. Dixon can cut and run through the line almost as well as Gore. I'm certainly not hoping for Gore to go down, but at this point, it might not be the worst thing for our offense to discover what else we have on our depth chart.

[sorry for the triple post, the server is jammed and it didn't seem like it was working.]

How poignant.
Originally posted by Micky6:
But a little injury to Frank Gore might force the Niners offensive coaches to spread the ball around to Dixon, Westbrook, and de-prioritize the conservative run game. I think the offense would be stronger if we weren't so dependent on Gore. Westbrook can do what Gore does on screen plays. Dixon can cut and run through the line almost as well as Gore. I'm certainly not hoping for Gore to go down, but at this point, it might not be the worst thing for our offense to discover what else we have on our depth chart.

[sorry for the triple post, the server is jammed and it didn't seem like it was working.]

How poignant.

Hasn't this been the problem with the coaching staff all along though? They don't makes changes unless there is no other choice. Unfortunately, it take injuries to force Sing to shake things up. He really needs to go.

LB
The thing is that instead of running a balanced offense, with Gore available, Singletary basically went to the well far too often even when defenses were keying in on him, stacking the box with 8 and 9 defenders most of the time. It was eerily like Hostler's offenses, pretty much dead in the water before the ball was even snapped.

Gore up the middle, Gore up the middle, Gore for a screen, Gore up the middle...

Gore is great, at times. But his numbers don't reflect how many times he wasn't great. He has a huge percentage of our offensive output, not because he averaged a lot of yards on every play. His big carries have hidden the fact that on most plays, he was highly ineffective. Against Arizona today, Westbrook sliced and diced his way for 136 yards. We'll see how effective he is against the Packers, but even against the Cards, those numbers prove that Westbrook was highly underutilized.

Ted Ginn is another punching bag for fans, undeservedly so in my opinion. He's only managed to stabilize the return game since he arrived. He doesn't fumble punts and he finally racked up big returns against the Cards. I don't like having Crabtree and Josh Morgan on the field at the same time on passing downs. I don't like that our 4 receiver sets include Crabs, Morgan, Delanie Walker and Vernon. Give me Crabs and Vernon, but Morgan is a slug that is covered like blanket most of the time. Crabs, Ginn, Zeigler and Vernon would be far more of a threat. Again, I think that the "Slug Set" reflects Singlebraincell's offensive "vision", which resembles the width of a pinhole.

b*****d! You jinxed Frank and our team...
this is not a mother f**king "little" injury!!!!!!

probably the end of Gore, especially as a premier back
The thing is that instead of running a balanced offense, with Gore available, Singletary basically went to the well far too often even when defenses were keying in on him, stacking the box with 8 and 9 defenders most of the time. It was eerily like Hostler's offenses, pretty much dead in the water before the ball was even snapped.

Gore up the middle, Gore up the middle, Gore for a screen, Gore up the middle...

Gore is great, at times. But his numbers don't reflect how many times he wasn't great. He has a huge percentage of our offensive output, not because he averaged a lot of yards on every play. His big carries have hidden the fact that on most plays, he was highly ineffective. Against Arizona today, Westbrook sliced and diced his way for 136 yards. We'll see how effective he is against the Packers, but even against the Cards, those numbers prove that Westbrook was highly underutilized.

Ted Ginn is another punching bag for fans, undeservedly so in my opinion. He's only managed to stabilize the return game since he arrived. He doesn't fumble punts and he finally racked up big returns against the Cards. I don't like having Crabtree and Josh Morgan on the field at the same time on passing downs. I don't like that our 4 receiver sets include Crabs, Morgan, Delanie Walker and Vernon. Give me Crabs and Vernon, but Morgan is a slug that is covered like blanket most of the time. Crabs, Ginn, Zeigler and Vernon would be far more of a threat. Again, I think that the "Slug Set" reflects Singlebraincell's offensive "vision", which resembles the width of a pinhole.

Gore had over 50yds on 5 carries. This probably doesn't change anything. Its not like teams wont stack the box on us because we dont have Gore. The only difference now is we will probably keep our RBs fresh with a run by committee type of deal. On the other hand thanks for jinxing Gore and also dealing a major blow to my fantasy team.
But a little injury to Frank Gore might force the Niners offensive coaches to spread the ball around to Dixon, Westbrook, and de-prioritize the conservative run game.

I don't think there's any reason to believe this. We had the exact same conservative running game with westy/dix in that we did with Gore.

It was just actually working because the Cards are horrible so nobody noticed.
I think we need to watch the film first.........

Do not assume that Westbrook is any less of a player than Gore. He did have 136 yards rushing on the night. So I would not be surprised if they kept it 50-50 with the passsing and the running game.
  • dj43
My hope is that Sing/Johnson will now feel compelled to actually spend some positive time on the passing game to make it more QB friendly and productive instead of just a break between running plays.

On the post game last night when asked who he thought would win this division, Matt Millen said the Rams and based it on a point that I have been making here for several weeks: Pat Shurmur has designed the Ram passing game so Bradford only has to look at half the field, always has a short check down route available, always has a hot read available, and the result has been an unusually shortened learning curve for Sam.

Johnson MUST do the same thing for Troy if the passing game is to succeed. Too many routes that are not connected or complimentary. There just doesn't appear to be any "theme" to what they are trying to do - no real thought going into the design of the plays and the sequencing.

Yes, it is somewhat better than Jimmy Raye but still a long way from being QB friendly for a kid that has had very little time behind the wheel.
Originally posted by BleedRandG:

Do not assume that Westbrook is any less of a player than Gore. He did have 136 yards rushing on the night. So I would not be surprised if they kept it 50-50 with the passsing and the running game.

westbrook is no slouch, I like the extra speed he brings. and motioning him out into the slot as a receiver will be a nice wrinkle. plus he's fresh, hasnt played at all. fresh legs, with his quickness i think we'll be more than all right. only question is pass protection but he's an all pro so not to worried, i seen him pick a blitz up before
Share 49ersWebzone