There are 233 users in the forums

Post Game Analysis (vs. Oakland Raiders)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
One thing I noticed was the second half adjustments to get our players more favorable match ups with their D. Finally had the offense move in that second half. Not as much as I would like but we were able to exploit those mis-matches.

Originally posted by kidash:
One thing I noticed was the second half adjustments to get our players more favorable match ups with their D. Finally had the offense move in that second half. Not as much as I would like but we were able to exploit those mis-matches.

Yes, Johnson is clearly not free like a bird, but at least he does adjust at half-time.

They used the bunch formation on the Crabtree touchdown to get the Oakland out of their man coverage which seems to have caused confusion in the Raider secondary.

I feel like the last time we made half-time adjustments were in Houston last year.
Just rewatched the game. And still feel like I did Sunday. Thrilled we won, because we needed a win and obviously it's great to beat the Raiders, but I've rarely felt so hollow after a victory.

Hard to think that would have been a win against any other team.

Positives:

We won!
Ted Ginn had his best game as a Niner.
At times, offense opened up a LITTLE.
Gore played great.
Luckily, no turnovers.

Negatives:
(And none of these are new)
Penalties, Penalties, Penalties. Stupid, avoidable penalties abounded. Particularly the holding calls, especially on returns, NINE men on the field, etc.. No discipline whatsoever.
We still can't finish a pass rush. We always let the QB slip through our tackle, are half a step late, take a bad angle, or somehow get "pressure" but let the QB escape and make a play.
Alex Smith can only throw one pass. If it's an 8-18 yard dart, he can nail it. He had 1 good short pass (the screen to Westbrook) and 1 good long, "over the top" pass (the TD to Crabs) in the entire game. EVERY other decent throw was a straight line, medium pass. Any other long, short, hurried or other type of pass was terrible.
There were 4 passes that could/should have been pics, and in most games would have been. Every ball the Raiders got their hands on, they dropped.
When we had chances to really turn up the heat in the game when we had momentum is when we got super conservative.
3 points through 3 quarters (essentially). Didn't open things up until VERY late in the 3rd/ the 4th quarter, when running Alex in a hurry up and/or a spread ALWAYS seems to get results.

Overally, as happy as I am with the win. A few good plays by us and bad play by the Raiders saved our bacon. I saw very little that was actually improvement from some of our other games, we just played a team as bad or worse than us where our mistakes were less than theirs.

It's certainly something to build on, but we need to get a lot more consistant and to play far more disciplined football if we are going to beat a better team.
Share 49ersWebzone