LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 221 users in the forums

How do we right the ship in the middle of the perfect storm?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We're in the middle, (beginning), of the football season. Most everyone who's anyone in football is already working. Is there any good experienced football people who could come in and review every aspect of the football operations; front office, scouting, and coaching during the remainder of the season, and provide good objective to Jed York so Jed can make well thought solid decisions ant the end of the season.

I don't really see Singletary lasting past the bye week. I think we play out the remainder of the season with an interim Head Coach. I think we need a short term seasoned football man to look over the entire operation during the rest of the season, help Jed make wise football decisions during the off season, then step a side.

An old wise football warhorse like Joe Gibbs, Marty S, Tony Dungy, etc.

Do any of you remember our last search committee of John York, Jed York, and staff?
I think we should 1st try to right the ship with our current staff before we give up and start looking towards next year.

Here's my solutions. Bench Rachal start Snyder. It's just too immature of a line right there. Baas is new at center, and Rachal and Davis are still lost puppies. Put in a vet to stabilize the line.

Use Crabtree on more longer plays. He's not a deep threat, but he's proven to be a pretty good target between 15-25 yards. We have enough dink and dunk weapons as it is. You have to spread the field and Crabtree is one of our better options.
We don't. Instead, we bend over and kiss our season goodbye due to the complete and utter incompetence and total failure by ownership and coaches to successfully manage and run a professional football team in the NFL.

Or not.

Whatever gets you off...

Personally, I'm done for a while. I can't take it anymore. I will still watch games, but will no longer be emotionally invested in this team. This sh*t is driving me crazy. It's been too long since we've been a real football team. I can tell this isn't going to end unless we get real life football people to make the big and important decisions that need to be made.

The 49ers suck. I can admit that. Now, it's time for the 49ers to prove to their fans that they can be a competent organization. Up to this point, they haven't done that. They haven't done that since the 90's.

So, time to go out, get a General Manager with experience and a plan, let him pick the coaches, and let's get this team on the right track. The ownership just needs to stay out of making every other decision after that, except for signing the checks.

To right the ship it'll require a new captain. With the amount of young players on the team, Singletary's style wont work. He is trying to build this team with the Ravens and his Bears team as the model. One big factor was that both of those teams had a good amount of established players sprinkled in with some very good youth. With the 49ers that's is not the case. Outside of J Smith, Franklin and Willis, everyone else is average because they don't do anything consistently good.

And with guys worrying about their playing time, this is a bad environment to breed positive results. Now with Lewis and Spikes, the older guys may be looking over their shoulders with the Bowman and Mays push for more play time. And if the vets start to feel like coach cant be trusted because of the mixed messages, the guys who have been "buying in" like Lewis and Spikes, may begin cashing out. If this continues, Sing has to go. BTW, has Heitmann been guaranteed his spot back when he is 100% ? If not, I think he may be next up to board the disgruntled vet bus.
Originally posted by susweel:
Hire a real football team president and let him hire the GM and HC.

Go back to the wco, f**k this power running bull s**t we are the 49ers we known for passing.

We usually dont agree, but in this case im right there with you.

By the way, when did we stray away from the WCO?
We need a football Man , and for the Dorks aka the Yorks to stay the f**k out off the way. and that f**king been counter to f**king fired !

All of them stink , we need someone to know about football and hire the right people even in the front office not only on the field !
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

Go back to the wco, f**k this power running bull s**t we are the 49ers we known for passing.

When we released Jeff Garcia and T.O.

What the heck is going on? this is so weird. Players leaving because of mixed messages?

Lewis says "Players coach?" good luck w/ that"

I'm getting really tired of this Vague, "watch the game, you will see"

I an write up a singletary press confrence myself here check this out....

Reporter: Coach, what happened on sunday against the falcons, it looked like you guys had a good handle on the falcons but the 2nd half you came out as a different team?

Sing: "we are aware of what mistakes we made in the 2nd half, and the difficulties we had in executing our gameplan. At this point we are doing our best to fix that"

Reporter: What are you doing to fix that

Sing: "I can't be frank with you, but I can tell you that we are implementing somethings that we think will give alex the chance to succeed, will give this offense a chance to perform better.

Reporter: There were a few instances where you again had to call time outs because of delays that were insuming, what was going on?

Sing: "I think it's just a matter of working together, getting the gameplay down, getting communication up, and getting on the same page"

Reporter: How do you think mike Johsnon did in his first game?

Sing: "I think he did a nice job. We didn't win so it will be difficult to judge a performance based on a loss. We did move the ball effectively, and we will continue to develope that area of our team"

REporter: "What happened to Alex on the last drive, why was he squaking like a chicken? "

Sing; "it's just one of those things we have to work on together and get on the same page. I told him to lead us, and he tride making fun of the falcons by doing the dirty bird. It wasn't a good impression, but I think it sent a message. We may be 0-4, but by the middle of the season we will be a good football team. I cannot tell you how, or why. I can just tell you. Watch the games, you will see"

how did I do?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

Dennis Erickson
Hey Maui, nice to hear from you as usual.

paraag marathe will write an SOP on how to do it then we just need to follow it to the letter and ding ding ding ... championship.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Hey Maui, nice to hear from you as usual.

paraag marathe will write an SOP on how to do it then we just need to follow it to the letter and ding ding ding ... championship.

Wasn't Paraag part of that first search committee that found Mike Nolan?

I just see us letting Singletary after the bye week, playing out the season with an intrum Head Coach, and not having a good system in place to find the right people to take over. This is really a great opportunity to get it right for the next 10 years, or just keep doing the same things since John York fired Mooch.

The Yorks need to sell the team to that Indian Prince guy who has an obsession with winning. Anyone remember seeing that article a few years back?
  • bret
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Maui9er:
We're in rough waters my friends. Players jumping overboard. Coaches and GM's forced to walk the plank. Offense can't score, defense can't stop scores, special teams can't catch punts nor cover punt returners. Captain of the ship in need of temper management and navigating 101. We were in rough waters before; 1979 Joe Thomas GM storm - Bill Walsh sails us to calm waters and the treasure chests; 2003 Terry Donahue storm - Mike Noland shiprecks; Mike Singletary - ?

How do we get proactive before the ship sinks? You've got Jed York's ear. What do you tell him? Is it time to hire an old warhorse footman to consult with the young prince? How do we get out of these rough waters safely and back to the home lands, the playoffs and super bowls?

First of all, there's nothing to be gained by firing Sing before the end of the year, but we want the evaluation process to go on for some of our younger players. So, Sing gets told he MUST play Bowman, Mays, and any of the other young prospects that might have some promise (this may already have happened as Matt Barrows makes clear on his Razor & Mr. T interview yesterday).

http://www.knbr.com/OnKNBR680/RazorandMrT/tabid/595/Default.aspx
If Sing won't do it, then you have to fire him. But unless the interim coach is offensive oriented, the team goes undefeated and Alex Smith morphs into the next Joe Montana, YOU DON'T KEEP THE INTERIM COACH. That's what the word "interim" was added for!

Spend the rest of the season searching discretely for a new GM. Someone with experience - SUCCESSFUL experience - and a VISION of what the new 49ers should look like. That look should include the concept "exciting" because that's what puts fans in the seats. It should also accept the existing premise that working through the draft and resigning your own core players is better than trying to go out and buy a team (no Dan Snyder system here, please!).

The day the season ends, fire Sing. By then you should already have your short list of prospects and you should have already been sending out feelers to assess their interest and the feasibility of bringing them in. Don't get cheap in these GM and Coach steps. They are the most crucial to the future success of your team.

I would suggest looking for up-and-coming offensive minded coaches. My top two would be Jim Harbaugh or Chris Peterson of Boise State. No old-school retreads.

Expect the GM and coach to find a quarterback. After that position is addressed, they should look to improve the speed at WR, CB, RB plus a mega-pass-rusher at OLB.

Get out of the way!
I really like Joe Gibbs, except when he & the refs beat us in the Champion Game back around 83.

He's done a great job in both coaching and running his race car business. I believe he has the experience, track record, and knowledge to be a great consultant, and provide an true objective view/report of our entire football operation.

I'd trust Gibbs to help Jed York right our ship. I truly think it would be very proactive to hire a top football man to review and report on our entire football operation. Whats working and worth keeping, and what needs to be fixed, and who are the right people to fix the problems. Lets fix it right this time.

+

+

Originally posted by Axl49:
Fight to bring in Bill Parcells

Fight who ?

Jennifer Lopez and Mark Anthony.
Share 49ersWebzone