LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

If Johnson does well at OC we should promote him to HC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Let's just wait a see how he does as an OC first!
LivFreeOrdIHrd9r, don't you think you are getting a little bit ahead of yourself?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Yeah thats a good call....hire a 3rd straight HC with 0 years of NFL HC experience

Why don't we man up and pay for quality. Sign a HC with experience no matter what the price.

Makes too much sense. Yorks won't do it...

Costs lots of money too...

maybe just one time Jed wont be young and naive, He's 30 now right?
no
Originally posted by PTulini:

Johnson is in a lose, lose as far as becoming the 49ers HC.

If he does great, he will save Singletary's job.
If he sucks or does alright, he will be replaced.

end of thread.
[ Edited by global_nomad on Oct 1, 2010 at 10:54 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LivFreeOrdIHrd9r:
If Mike Johnson turns out to be a stud at the play calling position, then why don't we replace sing with him. If he turns out to be a good play caller and saves our season. Then we should give him the job because most likely other teams will see how smart he is and his ability to bring enthusiasm to a team(this is all if he does well). In the past there have been countless former niners OC's that go to other teams to be head coaches. So if by chance he does do well and he gets a good response out of player, then it is not far fetched to give him the HC spot. But i think if we have a chance to get good coaching in like Gruden or Cower then we should take them. By the way it would be HUGE if gruden were to coach the niners.

Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by LivFreeOrdIHrd9r:
If Mike Johnson turns out to be a stud at the play calling position, then why don't we replace sing with him. If he turns out to be a good play caller and saves our season. Then we should give him the job because most likely other teams will see how smart he is and his ability to bring enthusiasm to a team(this is all if he does well). In the past there have been countless former niners OC's that go to other teams to be head coaches. So if by chance he does do well and he gets a good response out of player, then it is not far fetched to give him the HC spot. But i think if we have a chance to get good coaching in like Gruden or Cower then we should take them. By the way it would be HUGE if gruden were to coach the niners.

NO!!!

Make that 2 Nos

NO and No.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
f**k no. time to bring in a proven NFL HC.
Originally posted by MILFS:
no

these
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Well if our offense looks like the niners of the 80's and 90's then hell yes, but what are the chances of that happening? We haven't even seen a game yet with him controlling the O, so nobody really knows what to expect. If our offense gets a lot better, but is still only average, I would not even think about hiring him as our head coach. This team desperately needs a proven winner in the NFL as their HC. Gruden and Cowher would be the ideal guys. We should only promote Mike Johnson to HC if we start tearing this league up on offense, otherwise its just another experiment and potentially a major waste of time.

Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by PTulini:

Johnson is in a lose, lose as far as becoming the 49ers HC.

If he does great, he will save Singletary's job.
If he sucks or does alright, he will be replaced.

end of thread.
no way, no more trial and error.The team needs a proven winner.
If the 49ers enter the bye at 2-6, which is possible, I think that Sing is very much in jeopardy of being fired. Hiring a "big time coach" (however you define that term) would be difficult, if not next to impossible, in the middle of the season. So someone from within would have to be promoted. Since our last two coaches were defensive minded coaches, and that has not worked, it would likely be one of our offensive assistants. But I'm not sure if should be Johnson, let's see how he does at OC in the next 5 games.

A further search would occur in the offseason, but I would not expect anything to be done until it is determined if there will even be a 2011 season. Can't see York paying off Sing and paying big bucks for another coach, with declining ticket sales a reality, if there is no certainly of a season.

The guy I would like to see the 49ers pursue is Harbaugh. He has really transformed the Cardinal and may have interest in the NFL, especially to a team where he would not have to move his family.
Share 49ersWebzone