LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

If Johnson does well at OC we should promote him to HC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If Mike Johnson turns out to be a stud at the play calling position, then why don't we replace sing with him. If he turns out to be a good play caller and saves our season. Then we should give him the job because most likely other teams will see how smart he is and his ability to bring enthusiasm to a team(this is all if he does well). In the past there have been countless former niners OC's that go to other teams to be head coaches. So if by chance he does do well and he gets a good response out of player, then it is not far fetched to give him the HC spot. But i think if we have a chance to get good coaching in like Gruden or Cower then we should take them. By the way it would be HUGE if gruden were to coach the niners.
Manusky will be the "interim" HC when sing fails. Not saying it makes sense. But it's what will be.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 1, 2010 at 10:24 PM ]
lets see how he does at OC first.
Originally posted by LivFreeOrdIHrd9r:
If Mike Johnson turns out to be a stud at the play calling position, then why don't we replace sing with him. If he turns out to be a good play caller and saves our season. Then we should give him the job because most likely other teams will see how smart he is and his ability to bring enthusiasm to a team(this is all if he does well). In the past there have been countless former niners OC's that go to other teams to be head coaches. So if by chance he does do well and he gets a good response out of player, then it is not far fetched to give him the HC spot. But i think if we have a chance to get good coaching in like Gruden or Cower then we should take them. By the way it would be HUGE if gruden were to coach the niners.

NO!!!
Put the crack pipe down. j/k bro. Thats not a good idea. this team needs an experienced head coach.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
lets see how he does at OC first.

i agree, i am just saying this if he does well

Yeah, let's hire another guy who's had no coordinator experience. And BTW, you pretty much just described the things that happened before we decided to call Sing our HC and we all know how that is turning out!
Well if our offense looks like the niners of the 80's and 90's then hell yes, but what are the chances of that happening? We haven't even seen a game yet with him controlling the O, so nobody really knows what to expect. If our offense gets a lot better, but is still only average, I would not even think about hiring him as our head coach. This team desperately needs a proven winner in the NFL as their HC. Gruden and Cowher would be the ideal guys. We should only promote Mike Johnson to HC if we start tearing this league up on offense, otherwise its just another experiment and potentially a major waste of time.
Yeah thats a good call....hire a 3rd straight HC with 0 years of NFL HC experience

Why don't we man up and pay for quality. Sign a HC with experience no matter what the price.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Yeah thats a good call....hire a 3rd straight HC with 0 years of NFL HC experience

Why don't we man up and pay for quality. Sign a HC with experience no matter what the price.

Makes too much sense. Yorks won't do it...

Costs lots of money too...

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by global_nomad:

Makes too much sense. Yorks won't do it...

Costs lots of money too...

They are desparate to get that stadium. Look at the money they forked over for that campaign. Maybe, just maybe they will be willing to spend a little more.
F**K NOOOOOO!!!! i want an experienced offensive minded hc
no.

no more experiments. hire a proven gm. let him hire a proven hc. and let him hire his staff. THATS HOW IT WORKS IN THE NFL. why cant the yorks figure it out?

1.) A good offensive coordinator doesn't always become a good Head Coach. Norv Turner's doing alright in San Diego now, but his track record as an OC didn't 100% correlate to the HC job.

2.) Mike Johnson is still somewhat of an unknown commodity. He's been around the league, but he's never been given a huge role until now. Most head coaching hires are guys that have been coordinators or college coaches with a good track record. One great season as an OC may or may not create enough buzz. Of course, there HAVE been guys that have never been coordinators that get promoted to HC.

If Mike Singletary were to fail, I want to bring in someone proven. Nolan and Singletary were attempts to bring in someone young and hope they become the next great coach. I'd like an innovative offensive mind though.
[ Edited by Wubbie on Oct 1, 2010 at 10:46 PM ]
f**k no. time to bring in a proven NFL HC.
Share 49ersWebzone