LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 430 users in the forums

If Johnson does well at OC we should promote him to HC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
f**k no. time to bring in a proven NFL HC.

+ GM
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
no.

no more experiments. hire a proven gm. let him hire a proven hc. and let him hire his staff. THATS HOW IT WORKS IN THE NFL. why cant the yorks figure it out?

This! Why is this so hard to see?

I recall the discussion when Pioli was available as GM to hire him as 49ers GM. There were two camps. One for McCloughan (Young, up and coming) and the other for Pioli (Experienced).

KC seems to be on the right track just 2 years into their build. Look at the quality of coaches Pioli has brought in. Weis as OC and Crennel as DC. Look out for KC for the next few years, and if they ever get a real QB they will be VERY dangerous. Look what they are doing with Cassel!

We need to start first by bringing in an established and experienced GM.
If Johnson does well and shows he has what it takes, then he will no longer be inexperienced and unknown. Experience and success at more entry level positions is how one moves up in the coaching ranks.

I would rather get a coach like that rather than the retreads who are floating around out there. In an age of parity it is best to get a coach who presents something different, not just the same-old but somehow magically better better.

That pretty much is the difference between Walsh and Sing. Sing thought he could simply out-tough other teams in an age of parity where his offensive line was not likely to be clearly better than the oppositions's defensive line. This clearly is a failed philosophy, but one that isn't terribly different than all these retread coaches who would do what all the other coaches do, but hope for better results.

The reason Walsh succeeded is that the other coaches in the league, coaching much like Sing does today, were not able to understand Walsh's system and probably were more interested in NOT changing their systems than adapting to someone elses. After all, that would point out that their system wasn't as good...that they weren't as good as Walsh as a coach.
I think bringing in a big name HC would be much better. We need to quit with these coaches with no experience...
how bout Gruden!! We got the cash
Originally posted by E-49er:
Put the crack pipe down. j/k bro. Thats not a good idea. this team needs an experienced head coach.
Fhuk it, just make him the head coach now.............

NO. Damn is this how we do things now in Niner Land? Just guessing on who is gonna be good? Trial and error?

It really goes back to the ownership, Jed is gonna bring this team down to the depths.

kinda there already aren't we?

Please Jed, put down the Madden controller, and turn over all power of the team to an experienced GM. The Niners are not a toy to be f**ked with!!!!! "Cause u gonna make a bunch of us really mad........
Why stop at HC, promote him to the big kahuna, or pope or king of the world, master of the universe...
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by LivFreeOrdIHrd9r:
If Mike Johnson turns out to be a stud at the play calling position, then why don't we replace sing with him. If he turns out to be a good play caller and saves our season. Then we should give him the job because most likely other teams will see how smart he is and his ability to bring enthusiasm to a team(this is all if he does well). In the past there have been countless former niners OC's that go to other teams to be head coaches. So if by chance he does do well and he gets a good response out of player, then it is not far fetched to give him the HC spot. But i think if we have a chance to get good coaching in like Gruden or Cower then we should take them. By the way it would be HUGE if gruden were to coach the niners.

Yeah, let's hire another guy who's had no coordinator experience. And BTW, you pretty much just described the things that happened before we decided to call Sing our HC and we all know how that is turning out!

This marks Johnson's first full-time venture as an offensive coordinator. He had a two-game stint as a play-caller for Atlanta at the end of the 2003 season after Wade Phillips took over as coach for Dan Reeves.

With Johnson calling plays for quarterback Michael Vick, the Falcons beat Tampa Bay 30-28 and Jacksonville 21-14.

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ersheadlines/49ers/ci_16222438

and they were not great that year (5-11). I'm not saying he's the ultimate long term answer but its something to hold on to at this point of the season haha
[ Edited by wassmuth49 on Oct 2, 2010 at 11:00 AM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
why stop there? let's make him GM too.....

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
F no
If Johnson does well at OC then the 49ers will win the NFC West.

Anything less then both Johnson and Singletary will be axed.
Absolutely 100% NO!

This team needs an experienced...PROVEN Head Coach. Someone offensive minded, someone who can work with a young offense and has the ability to develop a high draft choice QB (because lets face it, we will probably be drafting quite high), someone relatively young with fire in his belly. We all know who that is...

Jon Gruden
[ Edited by CainanUK on Oct 2, 2010 at 1:50 PM ]
  • bret
  • Veteran
If this team goes 8-5 the rest of the way in large part due to improved play from the offense AND we make the play-offs; then Jed York will be in a quandary: he's had an opportunity to see that keeping Sing will always leave the team vulnerable to a hot assistant being hired away.

Jed is NOT his dad, so I still wouldn't be surprised to see Sing get replaced, but the question would be: would you go with inexperience again?

I don't know. Walsh was "inexperienced"; so were the three flops immediately before him!
if he is an outstanding play caller and we start putting 30 to 40 points on the board I say yes, if not let all stay for a 8-8 or 7-9 season and then we at the end of the year bring Harbaugh or gruden....
Share 49ersWebzone