LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

The NFL's # 1 Defense Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:

CONCLUSION: Pass rusher and CB should be the two highest priorities in the draft...except that we may now need a QB just as badly since it is now almost certain Smith will not be back next year.
i'm with u on that...just can watch our crappy pass-rush try to get to the quarterback on 4000 plays in a row whereas the opp QB can almost stay in the pocket and throw a perfect pass against inconsistent CBs...
What f**king defense?
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for cutbarlow.
Originally posted by sspiker:
Originally posted by cutbarlow:
Everybody blames the offense, and I don't disagree, but our defense hasn't played up to expectations this year, either. In 4 close losses, the defense has failed to make plays when needed to provide wins. Our pass rush isn't there, coverage isn't there, and the D-line isn't keeping players away from Willis so he can make plays. With slightly better defensive play, I'd say we're easily at least a 3-4 win team right now and well in the mix for the division.

Nonsense. Our defense has been put in terrible situations due to turnovers. They've kept us in all those close games, for our offense to screw it up.

4 of our 6 losses have been by 12 points total, 3 points each game! We've had the lead in each game in the 4th quarter. I'd argue that the offense did enough to win if the defense from last year would show up. Good teams find ways to win those games. Yes, the offense didn't win the game on its own, but there are 3 parts of the game, not just offense. We're not the type of team to put up 30-40 points per game, so when we get 20 points, our defense needs to step it up, make plays, and keep the other team from scoring. Is our offense our biggest weak spot? Absolutely, but what was supposed to be the strength of our team hasn't carried us like it was supposed to, and I think that's just as big a reason why we're 1-6 and lost all 4 of our games within 3 points.

We may have to invest a first round pick to a QB this year, but we seriously need to do something to bolster our D. True pass rusher? True shutdown DB? We need them, too.
Originally posted by communist:

CONCLUSION: Pass rusher and CB should be the two highest priorities in the draft...except that we may now need a QB just as badly since it is now almost certain Smith will not be back next year.
i'm with u on that...just can watch our crappy pass-rush try to get to the quarterback on 4000 plays in a row whereas the opp QB can almost stay in the pocket and throw a perfect pass against inconsistent CBs...

Draft priorities
1. QB: Offense has sputtered for too damn long
2. Passrusher: can hide the secondarys shortcomings
3. DB: Clements is hanging on by a thread.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by communist:

Draft priorities
1. QB: Offense has sputtered for too damn long
2. Passrusher: can hide the secondarys shortcomings
3. DB: Clements is hanging on by a thread.
With a healthy Alex Smith I would make QB the #3 priority. Under Johnson, and under Turner, the only decent OCs Smith has played under after his rookie year, Smith has played far better than the pass rushers or DBs have played this year.

The most lacking component on this team is a pass rusher, and that has been the case since before Nolan arrived. It still is. As you say, a good pass rusher makes the DBs look better.

Also, I would contend that a healthy Smith, committed to staying here is a better QB than Clements is a corner. One could argue that the play of Clements was as responsible as any other for the loss today. Twice he bit on moves by a rookie that resulted in big gains, one for a TD.

However, either by his choice or the team, I do not expect Smith to be back here next year. That moves QB to #1 priority. As it stands now, a 3-13 team would be in line to draft Andrew Luck without having to move up...unless someone else trades up to draft him.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Sorry I don't feel like reading 16 pages, but can some one with knowledge explain to me what the F is wrong with the defense. How in the heck did the Niners allow Matt Moore, to pass willy nilly against us.

Why can't we generate a pass rush?

Why if Willis is being "shadowed, manned up, what ever" doesn't that mean the other LB's are free? I mean I keep hearing that Willis is being keyed on and that is fine but why aren't the other LB free to make a play. Can someone with insight explain this to me.
Originally posted by AZ9er:
Sorry I don't feel like reading 16 pages, but can some one with knowledge explain to me what the F is wrong with the defense. How in the heck did the Niners allow Matt Moore, to pass willy nilly against us.

Why if Willis is being "shadowed, manned up, what ever" doesn't that mean the other LB's are free? I mean I keep hearing that Willis is being keyed on and that is fine but why aren't the other LB free to make a play. Can someone with insight explain this to me.

Well, our retarded DC Manusky and/or Sing were playing the DBs way off the line for much of the game, especially once we were up 20-13 in the 4th. Its funny how we run run run on offense and play prevent defense anytime we get the slightest lead.

Almost all of Moore's passes today were underneath and hitch routes. I know our secondary played terrible, but a lot of it was due to coaching and scheme. We also had no pass rush.
  • dj43
Originally posted by AZ9er:

A couple of reasons:

1. Manusky/Singletary do not believe in blitzing very often. They prefer to see individuals win a battle to put pressure on the QB. That has not worked and is one of the first things the new coach will change.

2. Drafting for a pass rusher has not been a priority. McCloughan/Nolan had this rather naive idea that they could find these 'tweeners who had been good pass rushing DEs in college but too small for the position in the pros. They would then turn them into pass rushing OLBs in the pros. They have failed to accomplish that with any of the 4 or 5 guys they picked.

In short, poor drafting and poor defensive scheme.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Greg Manusky should have been fired after the saints loss.His vanilla "bend but dont break" must go....now. His scheme costed us three wins...saints, falcons, and yesterdays against carolina...HES A BIG JOKE..MUCH LIKE SING
The defense led by Patrick Willis sucks.

f**k him and this defense

we made the worst offense in the NFL look good yesterday

LOL[/right]
Originally posted by dmax:
Greg Manusky should have been fired after the saints loss.His vanilla "bend but dont break" must go....now. His scheme costed us three wins...saints, falcons, and yesterdays against carolina...HES A BIG JOKE..MUCH LIKE SING

I'm thinking Sing has a big say in the defensive style. Much like his philosophy on offense, Sing believes in making no mistakes on defense. This bend but dont break i believe falls on Coach Dingleberry.
  • dj43
Originally posted by ozanter:
Originally posted by dmax:

I'm thinking Sing has a big say in the defensive style. Much like his philosophy on offense, Sing believes in making no mistakes on defense. This bend but dont break i believe falls on Coach Dingleberry.

Agree.

The problem that most great players have when they become coaches is just what we are seeing with Singletary now; they believe that players can just "step up" and play better than the guy across the line. They don't realize how much coaching and scheme have to do with the success of the average player.

In this case, Singletary believes that they don't need to blitz very often. He is just hoping that Brooks will suddenly turn into LT. Or that Justin Smith will be instantly reincarnated as Reggie White. He doesn't realize the HE was a very unique and uniquely talented player. Other players need scheme and strategy to succeed. They can't just overpower the guy across the line.

That is what I see as the greatest problem with the defense right now...and it is much the same with the offense as well.
I can point to a direct cause of why we didn't stop them:

Navarro Bowman.

CAR were singling this guy out left and right and on top of that, he keeps missing tackles and taking bad angles. Why wasn't Spikes in?

Oh well, the motivation to analyze anything is done. It's obvious, going back to last year, that this team cannot win a game unless it's defense gets 5 turnovers, Frank Gore has a monster day, and the Offense doesn't turn the ball over.

This was how we won last year for the most part and even then, we barely won those games. That should have been the biggest sign for alarm.
I do not see the logic in drafting a new QB for next season. We should try to sign a veteran QB who is ready to lead now. This team is not bad they jus need a leader under center and someone who is offensive minded. Getting away from what is being discussed the defense.... Anywho Draft pass rush and CB in the draft I do def agree with that.
Share 49ersWebzone