LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Roller Coaster Game...looking forward to next week. I'll tell you why.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lamontb:
I feel you on the positives but I can't call a lose great. No moral victories. remember how the Vking s"moral" victory was supposed to propel the team last year? every week they throw games away and every week we say these are problems that can be fixed. But the same dumb mistakes keep happening. Props out to the o line tonight. Davis did his thing at RT tonight. Defense just has to read screens a little bit better overall great recovery by the secondary.

you're right, I edited the title..... but I don't worry about 0-2 or 0-3..

I think we are soooo talented as a team that we can string 5-6 games in a row......but I've always been worried about our QB situation...even if we started 2-0 I would still not be happy if our QB didn't play well in those wins..

so hopefully Alex plays well in a tough environment next week.....this is it...these next 4-5 games will make Alex's NFL career.
  • dman
  • Veteran
I'm not confident going in to KC ...
Originally posted by ZRF80:
I disagree. Not a knock on Smith, cause I think he played admirably despite messing up early, but I think the team collectively had an adrenaline "boost" because it was a Monday nighter PLUS Rice's number was being retired.

The reality is that games like this shouldnt even be close. We outplayed the Saints and still lost, which tells you that the Niners are no where near as being good as everyone would like.

I think we go 8-8 at best...........realistically 6-10. Smith bought himself a 6 game extension, and once again the Niners prove that we have no depth on our roster. Ginn is out, and we have NO ONE to replace him. Westbrook is non-existent....

Rice's number being retired, I don't think so. None of these dudes have any connection to Rice. Sing sold some wolf tickets and they knew they had to back that sh*t up, plain and simple.

[ Edited by ObePwnD on Sep 20, 2010 at 21:13:49 ]
The mistakes are mainly mental or lucky breaks for the opposing team. On the fumbled punt, the returning should of either not touched it, or hit it towards out of bounds. Why even try to catch that? A lot of tip balls that magically appeared in the saints hands, whether they were on offense or defense. Some more management issues with the coaching staff, but not as bad as in Seattle.

These are all things that can be easily fixed, except for the unlucky breaks...

I thought that Alex did better as the game went on, feeding on the energy. He played on of his best games tonight. He seems to do good during primetime games.

This loss means that the 49ers HAVE TO win next week. If they don't, things will start looking ugly.

Disappointing loss, but not a season ender. Most of us penciled this game as a loss anyways.
Steve Young was extremely complimentary of Alex Smith in the post-game.

Some highlights..

"Alex Smith decided he was tired of 'this'...and took this game by the throat..."

"The 49ers can come away very happy about Alex Smith. Extremely accurate tonight."

"On point."

Even circled back to Alex at the end and said:

"Very important to note that Alex took a big step...overcame..and TOOK OVER THE GAME."

Nice to hear him say nice things about our QB.
That was an awesome game! Results aside that was exactly what we needed to see from the whole team. The defense kept the offense alive and fought their asses off when it really REALLY mattered. The offense showed some real guts coming out of that 1st quarter the way they did. I really expected Smitty to fold when he came off the field after that horrible throw he put on Gore that got picked...the guy's scrappy as hell and this offense is starting to reflect that.

Jaws mentioned that he was watching a QB grow up before his eyes, but I think that statement was true of our entire team.

The mistakes can be cleaned up and this offense is only going to get more and more sharp as this offensive line progresses. I'm proud as hell of our team; can't wait till next week
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
The mistakes are mainly mental or lucky breaks for the opposing team. On the fumbled punt, the returning should of either not touched it, or hit it towards out of bounds. Why even try to catch that? A lot of tip balls that magically appeared in the saints hands, whether they were on offense or defense. Some more management issues with the coaching staff, but not as bad as in Seattle.

These are all things that can be easily fixed, except for the unlucky breaks...

I thought that Alex did better as the game went on, feeding on the energy. He played on of his best games tonight. He seems to do good during primetime games.

This loss means that the 49ers HAVE TO win next week. If they don't, things will start looking ugly.

Disappointing loss, but not a season ender. Most of us penciled this game as a loss anyways.

If we can play like this, or close to this for the remainder of the season, we should still win our division.
I disagree. Not a knock on Smith, cause I think he played admirably despite messing up early, but I think the team collectively had an adrenaline "boost" because it was a Monday nighter PLUS Rice's number was being retired.

The reality is that games like this shouldnt even be close. We outplayed the Saints and still lost, which tells you that the Niners are no where near as being good as everyone would like.

I think we go 8-8 at best...........realistically 6-10. Smith bought himself a 6 game extension, and once again the Niners prove that we have no depth on our roster. Ginn is out, and we have NO ONE to replace him. Westbrook is non-existent....

At 8-8, this team still could take the division and go to the playoffs. This was against the defending Super Bowl champs and it was a close game even with all the stupid mistakes. This game is something to build on. Disappointing and gut-wrenching, but something to build on nonetheless.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Some highlights..

"Alex Smith decided he was tired of 'this'...and took this game by the throat..."

"The 49ers can come away very happy about Alex Smith. Extremely accurate tonight."

"On point."

"Very important to note that Alex took a big step...overcame..and TOOK OVER THE GAME."

I think if we went back to 2005 and downloaded every single clip of 'Steve Young on Alex Smith', you'd get at least 23 variations of his assessment on Alex. From what Ive gotten from his commentary (in general), he's more critical of Alex than supportive. However, he does throw a bone at him every once in awhile when Alex performs well (like tonight). But dont be surprised to see him jump off Smith's ship at first sign of sink......
Afrikan, even though you've been a Smith hater, I applaud you.

Though, Smith evened himself out between Week 1 and Week 2, thank you. You're a fair judge of Smith.

Now, Smith needs to just get some consistency. Once he finds that, I can't wait to watch this time. We lost the to he champs by 3 points and our TO ratio was -4. Good game, and game we could've won, but we killed ourselves.

Some highlights..

"On point."

I think if we went back to 2005 and downloaded every single clip of 'Steve Young on Alex Smith', you'd get at least 23 variations of his assessment on Alex. From what Ive gotten from his commentary (in general), he's more critical of Alex than supportive. However, he does throw a bone at him every once in awhile when Alex performs well (like tonight). But dont be surprised to see him jump off Smith's ship at first sign of sink......

He's never said the stuff he said tonight. Alex looked like a legit NFL Qb tonight.

I'm not totally sold but to not recognize the growth tonight is just plain personal hatred and ignorance. Sorry.
I saw the Gore tipped interception, and the Delanie Walker fumble, and the punt fumble. What was the other turnover?
Originally posted by bigmike55:
But we're still 0-2

lol any other division I would agree with you but the fact of the matter is we have 2 teams that are 1-1 and 2 that are 0-2. We can easily make ground up.
AZ plays the Raiders and Seattle plays the Chargers. We could easily be in a 3 way tie next week at 1-2.

Some highlights..

"On point."

He's never said the stuff he said tonight. Alex looked like a legit NFL Qb tonight.

I'm not totally sold but to not recognize the growth tonight is just plain personal hatred and ignorance. Sorry.

You can never be sold after one game. Once Alex learns consistency, we may have our QB.
Share 49ersWebzone