There are 198 users in the forums

Clayton Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Joecool:

percent, schcerment! It's about Ball Placement.

Ugh... how bout WR accountability? Must our receivers catch only the perfectly placed passes, or do they have some responsibility to catch the other catchable passes? Other teams have receivers that often help their QB out... QBs that have had much more built chemistry with their scheme and receivers. Is it so much to ask of our receivers to make tough but catchable passes?

Yes it is too much to ask when your QB is inconsistent on where he puts the ball. In front, behind, too high, too low, on the numbers, on the face mask, jump ball, dive for it, etc... Now if the QB was placing 80% of the balls in a good spot then it wouldn't be too much to ask IMO...

So now it's Smith's fault that he threw a pass that bounced off of a TE's facemask?

Unbelievable... you people just fail... disgraceful. I hate to say it, because there ARE a lot of good 49ers fans, but my Lord, SF fans as a whole must be the most myopic + rotten fanbase of any NFL franchise in existence.

That is because these "fans" believe that every pass any HOF QB has ever thrown was right on the money every single time. Joe and Steve were off target on throws as well people. But they had receivers that would actually "CATCH" the ball. Look at the pass thrown by Joe Montana during "The Catch" It was thrown high, but Clark made the catch.

While we cannot blame the QB all the time, he does control the ball. He can't control a blown pass protection by a blocker and yes the receiver has to catch the ball when it gets to him.

However, it is the inconsitency that bothers people about Smith. Whether you're a 59% or 63% ratio, it is the ability to string these things together with some good ground game when necessary. Examples: gore in his only appearance made some great runs, but smith did not string enough of it together in the pass game to finish the deal.

Another example they had a consistent run attack in the first pre game and he missed a wide open VD. Young and Montana were not perfect, but they were when they needed to be.

In other were words if you were 60% thrower, when did those completions come? Smith is just plain inconsistent in the past, hopefully with all the weapons needed and familiarity this year, it will be different.

Manning has lost receivers, but still gets the job done, this with a running game that is non existent compared to the 49ers, though Manning is in a league of his own and it is unfair to compare Smith to him, you get the point.

Alot of Smiths good days came against weak teams, I am hoping he can step it up and do it against the tougher teams with the game on the line.

Oh well its the preseason, I guess everyone is feeling like VD and Crab.
Originally posted by WildBill:

Ugh... how bout WR accountability? Must our receivers catch only the perfectly placed passes, or do they have some responsibility to catch the other catchable passes? Other teams have receivers that often help their QB out... QBs that have had much more built chemistry with their scheme and receivers. Is it so much to ask of our receivers to make tough but catchable passes?

Yes it is too much to ask when your QB is inconsistent on where he puts the ball. In front, behind, too high, too low, on the numbers, on the face mask, jump ball, dive for it, etc... Now if the QB was placing 80% of the balls in a good spot then it wouldn't be too much to ask IMO...

So now it's Smith's fault that he threw a pass that bounced off of a TE's facemask?

Unbelievable... you people just fail... disgraceful. I hate to say it, because there ARE a lot of good 49ers fans, but my Lord, SF fans as a whole must be the most myopic + rotten fanbase of any NFL franchise in existence.

That is because these "fans" believe that every pass any HOF QB has ever thrown was right on the money every single time. Joe and Steve were off target on throws as well people. But they had receivers that would actually "CATCH" the ball. Look at the pass thrown by Joe Montana during "The Catch" It was thrown high, but Clark made the catch.

While we cannot blame the QB all the time, he does control the ball. He can't control a blown pass protection by a blocker and yes the receiver has to catch the ball when it gets to him.

However, it is the inconsitency that bothers people about Smith. Whether you're a 59% or 63% ratio, it is the ability to string these things together with some good ground game when necessary. Examples: gore in his only appearance made some great runs, but smith did not string enough of it together in the pass game to finish the deal.

Another example they had a consistent run attack in the first pre game and he missed a wide open VD. Young and Montana were not perfect, but they were when they needed to be.

In other were words if you were 60% thrower, when did those completions come? Smith is just plain inconsistent in the past, hopefully with all the weapons needed and familiarity this year, it will be different.

Manning has lost receivers, but still gets the job done, this with a running game that is non existent compared to the 49ers, though Manning is in a league of his own and it is unfair to compare Smith to him, you get the point.

Alot of Smiths good days came against weak teams, I am hoping he can step it up and do it against the tougher teams with the game on the line.

Wasn't that drive killed by penalties and dropped passes???

Manning has days where he is way off on passing as well, but guess what? His receivers make the tough catches that ours do not.

Smith had multiple TD games against the Texans and the Packers last year.
Originally posted by WildBill:

Wasn't that drive killed by penalties and dropped passes???

Manning has days where he is way off on passing as well, but guess what? His receivers make the tough catches that ours do not.

Smith had multiple TD games against the Texans and the Packers last year.

Yes and no, not just talking about the end portion of the drive.

Manning has off days but he has more good days and he keeps his team in the game.

I don't consider the Texans the caliber of the Vikes or Packers or Colts.
Bump

I think Clayton overrated Alex.
I would put him around 50.
Alex Smith is probably one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL right now, if not the worst.
Haha. Where are all those nut suckers who were saying Clayton is clueless and Alex is top 10? Yeah Clayton is clueless. 21st is way too high. He's probably in the 50s or 60s. There are 3rd stringers better than this bum.
Several members of Little Richard's backup band, the Upsetters, became the Famous Flames. Baking up James Brown.
Yeah Clayton f*cked up he should of rankend him LOWER

21 is to high for this clown

i still cant believe it how the niners (organization) & his backers in the zone have baby'd him for 6 season's & now that he has the best supporting cast he still cant get the job done

FACE IT ALEXIS SUPPORTERS HE WILL NEVER DEVELOP INTO ANYTHING SPECIAL NOR ABOVE AVERAGE

letS move on while the season is still young & give a younger guy a chance so we can finally wake up from this HORRIBLE nightmare.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Just two days ago I was being bashed for being a "Smith hater" and was challenged as to what I would do if Smith "lights it up this year", lol.

I think Clayton was really onto something with his assessment actually.

once again Clayton f*cked up he ranked him waaaaaaaaaay to high

SHOOT he shouldnt be rank at all

lil hyna!!!!

• ZRF80
Clayton gave him the benefit of the doubt. He thought that, with an up and coming WR, combined with probowlers VD and Frank Gore.........that Smith would actually amount to something.

Who knew that all 3 players dont wear the right sized cleats, and that would hamper Alex's progress as a perennial probowler.
Share 49ersWebzone