LISTEN: 49ers Master The Later Rounds Of The Draft →

There are 134 users in the forums

So, if Alex doesn't pan out...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Nate Davis leads will lead us to a Super Bowl before Alex Smith does.

remember, Alex is still developing, one day he will take us to the SB....

ACP ALERT!
Originally posted by jreff22:

is this all you post about, the act is getting old

• fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

ACP ALERT!

ACP ALERT!

That is exactly what you do, you should sign all your posts with that emoticon.
  • fly15
  • Veteran

ACP ALERT!

That is exactly what you do, you should sign all your posts with that emoticon.

• ZRF80
Not one realistic response from the homers. How surprising....

The truth is that its quite POSSIBLE that Alex Smith will fail, considering that he has a knack for doing so. What sucks is that Ninerbrass has absolutely no backup plan. Carr certainly isnt the answer.......we all saw what Nate Davis brings to the table. In essence, the team will be forced into rebuild mode, despite having a probowl caliber roster.

I was watching Aaron Rodgers vs. Indy yesterday, and man did it hurt when I saw him thread passes in between defenders. Whenever his line broke down, he had this calm about him, and he still found ways to make plays. Alex, on the other hand (despite playing well the other night), still runs around like a chicken with its head cut off. You cant deny that as Niner fans, we all hold our breaths praying that the worst doesnt happen.

Boy, did we botch in that draft.........and worse, we have NO backup plan when and if Alex fails.
Originally posted by ZRF80:

The truth is that its quite POSSIBLE that Alex Smith will fail, considering that he has a knack for doing so. What sucks is that Ninerbrass has absolutely no backup plan. Carr certainly isnt the answer.......we all saw what Nate Davis brings to the table. In essence, the team will be forced into rebuild mode, despite having a probowl caliber roster.

I was watching Aaron Rodgers vs. Indy yesterday, and man did it hurt when I saw him thread passes in between defenders. Whenever his line broke down, he had this calm about him, and he still found ways to make plays. Alex, on the other hand (despite playing well the other night), still runs around like a chicken with its head cut off. You cant deny that as Niner fans, we all hold our breaths praying that the worst doesnt happen.

Boy, did we botch in that draft.........and worse, we have NO backup plan when and if Alex fails.

Point taken ZRF. My question to you is.........how did the Niners botch this draft? Because they didn't take Jimmy Clausen or some other QB as insurance? Baalke and the Niners brass had a hell of a draft and could get as many as 5 starters out of this class (Davis, Iupati, Bowman, Mays and Dixon). The Niners will not have to rebuild next year if Alex fails. Whomever plays QB for the Niners next year will have a good o line, plenty of receivers and a solid running game. The Niners also have plenty of draft picks as ammunition to trade up in next year's draft if they have to. Whatever happens with Alex this year, I for one am not worried about the future because of the overall quality of the team around him or our future franchise QB.
  • Chico
  • Veteran

Great response! Thanks for not turning this thread into a joke

I wish you were our GM. You've got it all figured out.

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I have some hope for Alex after the last game. The biggest improvement I saw was his pocket presence. I think his upside is very limited, but he can be the game manager that Nolan envisioned.... kind of like Dilfer the year the Ravens won the superbowl.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Point taken ZRF. My question to you is.........how did the Niners botch this draft? Because they didn't take Jimmy Clausen or some other QB as insurance? Baalke and the Niners brass had a hell of a draft and could get as many as 5 starters out of this class (Davis, Iupati, Bowman, Mays and Dixon). The Niners will not have to rebuild next year if Alex fails. Whomever plays QB for the Niners next year will have a good o line, plenty of receivers and a solid running game. The Niners also have plenty of draft picks as ammunition to trade up in next year's draft if they have to. Whatever happens with Alex this year, I for one am not worried about the future because of the overall quality of the team around him or our future franchise QB.

He's talking about the draft where we could have drafter Aarron Rodgers first instead of Alex Smith, NOT this years draft. It was just our luck when we get the #1 overall pick in one of the worst talented draft picks available! Boy were we cursed that year.

Anyway, I'm not sure drafting Rodgers would have made a difference. We had the worst talented team and coaching staff that year. From Nolan, to the Yorks, McClueless, Brandon Lloyd, a crappy O-Line and NO QB can succeed with a crappy O-line. There was no good coaching staff to groom Alex so he didn't develope the way other rookie QB's are getting to develope such as a Mark Sanchez, Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan. Those teams put the right pieces in place w a good running game, defense and protection from the O-line.

thats my two cents!
Originally posted by Shaj:
I have some hope for Alex after the last game. The biggest improvement I saw was his pocket presence. I think his upside is very limited, but he can be the game manager that Nolan envisioned.... kind of like Dilfer the year the Ravens won the superbowl.

I would be interested to know why you think his upside is limited?

Originally posted by Chico:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

He's talking about the draft where we could have drafter Aarron Rodgers first instead of Alex Smith, NOT this years draft. It was just our luck when we get the #1 overall pick in one of the worst talented draft picks available! Boy were we cursed that year.

Anyway, I'm not sure drafting Rodgers would have made a difference. We had the worst talented team and coaching staff that year. From Nolan, to the Yorks, McClueless, Brandon Lloyd, a crappy O-Line and NO QB can succeed with a crappy O-line. There was no good coaching staff to groom Alex so he didn't develope the way other rookie QB's are getting to develope such as a Mark Sanchez, Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan. Those teams put the right pieces in place w a good running game, defense and protection from the O-line.

thats my two cents!

As fans, we have to turn the page on that draft. Yes, we could have drafted Rodgers, but you are correct about the condition of the team at the time. Rodgers looks great now because he had a chance to sit and learn behind a legend without the pressure of performing right away. Would he have turned out any different being thrown to the wolves like Alex did? We will never know.

Time to deal with the here and now. That is why I talked about this draft. If Smith makes it this year, it will be because he has a good to great supporting cast of teammates. If he doesn't, the next guy will not have to do it all on his own.
Share 49ersWebzone