LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Reports of Alex looking average in practice.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by norcal49er864:
Jesus Christ, it's the first week of camp, and his starting center is down.

But that shouldn't effect how you throw the ball.

Raye also said there were extenuating circumstances to Smith's day. He noted that Smith usually makes 94 throws in the morning and another 86-90 in the afternoon. He said this is the point in camp that quarterbacks get what Raye called "arm weary."

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/08/raye-defends-qb.html#ixzz0wEk20f7s

even raye is making Alexecuses now

damn ur stupid having ginn starting sucks and not having ur 1 WR and the best TE in the league will drop ur performance woulnt u say so
Alex has looked average or below average his entire career. I don't see a problem here. LOL Let's wait till the season starts
Our offense gets to practice each day against one of the league's better defenses. Keep that in mind.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
One f**king day of bad practice and everyone panics. Jeez. This is really starting to get ridiculous.

The season is pretty dependent on Alex. Those thoughts of playoffs and winning the division ride on him.

Wait one minute.... Average, you say... Hmm, this is an improvement for Alex, isnt it? I mean, he's been below average for his entire career.

Go Niners

I think we need him to be above average.

Was Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson above average when they won the superbowl? I honestly don't remember them being "dynamic" by any stretch of imagination.

They had powerhouse defenses and brick wall offense lines.

They had without a doubt the 2 best defenses of the last 15 years. Our defense is nowhere near that type of status. Plus Brad Johnson was a Pro Bowler for before he got to Tampa, and also had a very good season at Minnesota. He's more of an Eli than he is an Alex Smith.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
News flash: ALL QBs, regardless of how good/bad they are...will have good days, bad days, and "so so" days.

Relax.

I'm still waiting to hear about the good days. We have heard about the other days.

I dunno man, you might want to go back and read previous blogs. They've all been generally positive re: Smith.

The problem is people expecting to read: "WOW Smith just had an absolute PHENOMENAL practice today...he hit Crabtree 80 yards downfield while delivering a baby and curing the economy."

I've read quite a few times where..."Smith looked good today..." "Smith made some beautiful throws..." "Smith looked sharp..."

"Good...sharp...beautiful throws..." All sound pretty positive to me.

Well put. Just so long as he doesn't throw the baby 80 yards downfield . . .
I think we all ought to know by now that Alex is not a legitimate starting QB. He may be the best on the team (although I wonder), and probably gives the team the best chance to get to the playoffs this year, but he doesn't have any kind of meaningful future in the NFL.
Originally posted by SBinMT:
I think we all ought to know by now that Alex is not a legitimate starting QB. He may be the best on the team (although I wonder), and probably gives the team the best chance to get to the playoffs this year, but he doesn't have any kind of meaningful future in the NFL.

Playoffs = NFL Future
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

I think that's basically the sentiment in the webzone on Smith. Let's just hope he finds the inner Montana in him and has a good season for us. If not we're looking for another Qb in the draft next year. Locker or Luck come on down.
Originally posted by mayo63:

I think that's basically the sentiment in the webzone on Smith. Let's just hope he finds the inner Montana in him and has a good season for us. If not we're looking for another Qb in the draft next year. Locker or Luck come on down.

We are not picking high enough to get Locker or Luck.

Which would mean the Niners absolutely tank this year and give the Rams a run for their money as next years first pick.

I just don't see that happening. Maybe a trade up.

But I've just talked to my good college buddy whose a die-hard Packers fan and he thinks the Niners will win 10 games and go to the playoffs.

• mayo49
  • Veteran

We are not picking high enough to get Locker or Luck.

If Smith stinks it up we will.
"looked average in practice"???

Tony Romo and Carson Palmer both looked average in real speed the other night.

I don't know what you guys want out of Smith, you sit here and criticize his every move when now more than ever you should be pointing out any and everything thing he does right. He's ALL we got, there's no other options this season and as long as he can play to 75% of his best level, we should be happy as hell.

With Smiths supporting cast, he'll be fine, let's at least see him in the preseason before we start calling for his head.
Originally posted by TitsMcgee:
News flash: ALL QBs, regardless of how good/bad they are...will have good days, bad days, and "so so" days.

Relax.

Except the ACP doesn't really comment on the good days.

When Smith has a good day in TC, the nay-sayers will just say "It's TC, who cares wait for the season."

But when he has a bad day, it's time to sh!t our pants and make a huge thread about it.

Something smells like a double standard to me.

This is the theme when it comes to the QB situation. And you're absolutely right. When Alex is doing well..its.."Well who cares dood its just shorts and shells...no big deel dood...styll the bustorz LOLZ BREEN BAK JTO."

When he does bad..."SEE I TOHLD YUUU ALECKS DIK LUVRZ..."

I like your impersonation of people that see it the way it is. As if everyone who doesn't agree with your view has to type like a 12-year-old.

Look, the offense is supposed to look good in camp. There's no reason they shouldn't. The defense can't hit them and that takes A LOT away from what they do. There's no reason a good QB should be looking bad in practice (Smith is not yet a good QB).

Of course nobody is going to jump on the bandwagon when he does well in practice. The defense can't hit him, he doesn't get sacked so the fear of fumbling is not there, he has more time to throw because when he should be sacked the play continues, the defenders don't get as physical with the receivers and definitely don't hit them to make them drop passes like they would in a game situation, a QB will always be more comfortable in practice than he will when it counts so he should be making better decisions, etc.. Knowing all that, why would anyone praise any QB for what he's done in practice? With all those advantages, he should ALWAYS look good in practice.

Lately, as we get closer to the start if the season, I've been putting on my homer glasses, as I do each year, and I've been starting to become optimistic regardless of what I've said leading up to this point. I was starting to gain hope with Alex and I was making myself believe he can be the QB we need him to be. Things like this are not a good sign, no matter how much you guys try to downplay it. QBs should never look bad in practice with all the advantages in their favor.

I do feel it's being blown a little out of proportion and Smith will get back on track, but this is not something that means nothing. This guy needs to continue to progress, not regress after 10 days of camp. And LOL @ Raye's excuse. 200 passes in a total span of 6 hours of practice (with time for rest in betwee, of course) should make a QB's arm weary? Come on.

When it comes down to it, though, I think Smith just had a bad day.
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by CheapThrill:
Oh my god Alex is terrible. We won't win an entire game all season. The front office is a bunch of loosers for not prying Manning away from the Colts. Sh*t, Sh*t, Sh*t the seasson is already over. I can't just stand it. We wait all year and all we can hope for is an 0-16 season. I'm sooo depressed.

@ CheapThrill as nerd!
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by TitsMcgee:

Relax.

Except the ACP doesn't really comment on the good days.

When Smith has a good day in TC, the nay-sayers will just say "It's TC, who cares wait for the season."

But when he has a bad day, it's time to sh!t our pants and make a huge thread about it.

Something smells like a double standard to me.

This is the theme when it comes to the QB situation. And you're absolutely right. When Alex is doing well..its.."Well who cares dood its just shorts and shells...no big deel dood...styll the bustorz LOLZ BREEN BAK JTO."

When he does bad..."SEE I TOHLD YUUU ALECKS DIK LUVRZ..."

I like your impersonation of people that see it the way it is. As if everyone who doesn't agree with your view has to type like a 12-year-old.

Look, the offense is supposed to look good in camp. There's no reason they shouldn't. The defense can't hit them and that takes A LOT away from what they do. There's no reason a good QB should be looking bad in practice (Smith is not yet a good QB).

Of course nobody is going to jump on the bandwagon when he does well in practice. The defense can't hit him, he doesn't get sacked so the fear of fumbling is not there, he has more time to throw because when he should be sacked the play continues, the defenders don't get as physical with the receivers and definitely don't hit them to make them drop passes like they would in a game situation, a QB will always be more comfortable in practice than he will when it counts so he should be making better decisions, etc.. Knowing all that, why would anyone praise any QB for what he's done in practice? With all those advantages, he should ALWAYS look good in practice.

Lately, as we get closer to the start if the season, I've been putting on my homer glasses, as I do each year, and I've been starting to become optimistic regardless of what I've said leading up to this point. I was starting to gain hope with Alex and I was making myself believe he can be the QB we need him to be. Things like this are not a good sign, no matter how much you guys try to downplay it. QBs should never look bad in practice with all the advantages in their favor.

I do feel it's being blown a little out of proportion and Smith will get back on track, but this is not something that means nothing. This guy needs to continue to progress, not regress after 10 days of camp. And LOL @ Raye's excuse. 200 passes in a total span of 6 hours of practice (with time for rest in betwee, of course) should make a QB's arm weary? Come on.

When it comes down to it, though, I think Smith just had a bad day.

good post
Share 49ersWebzone