LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Reports of Alex looking average in practice.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Nothing like a bad day at practice to bring out the Alex Apologists and Alexcusionists. I love the revisionist history in the six pages of this thread.

Statements like: "Alex gets no credit when he looks good."

FACT: Alex has never looked good. Alex has never taken this team to the playoffs. Alex hasn't come close to leading this team to the playoffs. Therefore -- Alex has NEVER looked good. Alex Smith has done a great job at choking in big games (see: at Seattle last year)

Another statement: "Naysayers never give Alex any credit."

FACT: Why should we? What has Alex done? Other than fail miserably that is. Alex doesn't get any credit because he doesn't deserve it. Five losing seasons of football will do that to any fan.

Finally -- we are forced to put up with the new posters on this board -- who derisively refer to us as the "ACP." Wow. Just wow.

I can't tell you how many Alex Apologists and Alexcusionists have come and gone during the past five seasons. The ACP poster is just the latest in a long line of fairweather fans who appear to hold the Smith jockstrap -- and then vanish like a fart in the wind when things inevitably go south -- as they will.

Alex had a bad day in practice? Not news to me. Every player does.

When Alex starts putting in bad games? I would hope there would be no more excuses.

But hope springs eternal.

Dude, relax. It's 1 bad practice at. I can't believe the over-reaction.
Originally posted by TitsMcgee:
Cue the ACP(ass-clown patrol).

I guess you all missed the good reports and Niner defensive players being impressed with Smith keeping them on their toes.

But no, let's just cherrypick a few articles from peter King and one report from Maiocco and start a collective pantsh!t.

Season couldn't come any faster.[/
quote]
Nothing like a bad day at practice to bring out the Alex Apologists and Alexcusionists. I love the revisionist history in the six pages of this thread.

FACT: Alex has never looked good. Alex has never taken this team to the playoffs. Alex hasn't come close to leading this team to the playoffs. Therefore -- Alex has NEVER looked good. Alex Smith has done a great job at choking in big games (see: at Seattle last year)

FACT: Why should we? What has Alex done? Other than fail miserably that is. Alex doesn't get any credit because he doesn't deserve it. Five losing seasons of football will do that to any fan.

Finally -- we are forced to put up with the new posters on this board -- who derisively refer to us as the "ACP." Wow. Just wow.

I can't tell you how many Alex Apologists and Alexcusionists have come and gone during the past five seasons. The ACP poster is just the latest in a long line of fairweather fans who appear to hold the Smith jockstrap -- and then vanish like a fart in the wind when things inevitably go south -- as they will.

When Alex starts putting in bad games? I would hope there would be no more excuses.

So Alex choked in Seattle because VD dropped a TD pass and Crab ducked one? And he still threw for over 300 yards? Or Delanie dropping the TD pass because of the uncalled PI? And Frank fumbled a ball that would've led to a field goal? And we decided to not play for overtime? Come on dude that's a bunch of BS, he was the only reason we were in that friggin game to begin with.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
If he's having a bad practice - GOOD!

That means there's still more work to do. I would rather they iron out all the kinks now at camp rather than in a game.
Here's how the red zone snaps broke down from the 6-yard line:

-Smith to TE Joe Jon Finley for 1 yard

-Smith to Ted Ginn Jr. for TD. (Although Smith would have been sacked on a blitz).

-Smith to Delanie Walker, knocked away by Tarell Davis (but he interfered).

-Smith to Finley TD

-David Carr to Walker TD

-Carr to TE Nate Byham TD

-Carr to Jason Hill TD (would have sacked by the blitzing Curtis Taylor)

-Carr high incomplete to Hill

Snaps from the 26-yard line

-Smith high to Ginn, intercepted by Nate Clements

-Smith sacked, no one open

-Smith to Finley for 9 yards

Carr from the 19

-Run for 3 yard, Brit Miller gets good block on linebacker Patrick Willis

-Reverse to Walker for 4 yards

Plays of the day - Smith hit a pair of consecutive sideline routes first to Dominique Zeigler on the left side and threw possibly, his best pass of camp, to rookie Kyle Williams on the right. Williams ran past cornerback Will James.

Doesn't sound that bad

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=69807
Well he's an avg qb. Early preseason practice struggles are hardly alarming though. I'm sure some of the elite qbs start out less than steller, but no one cares because everyone knows what they can do.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by CheapThrill:
Oh my god Alex is terrible. We won't win an entire game all season. The front office is a bunch of loosers for not prying Manning away from the Colts. Sh*t, Sh*t, Sh*t the seasson is already over. I can't just stand it. We wait all year and all we can hope for is an 0-16 season. I'm sooo depressed.

@ CheapThrill as nerd!

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
In all seriousness, I'm glad hes not getting the superstar vote of confidence from practice. Maybe he'll actually be good in the regular season now. I'm tired of hearing how Smith "looks better than ever" in practice, then looking like a inconsistent bum in the regular season. Don't know if you are following me, but this is pretty much my words of a vote of confidence from me.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
blah blah blah - let's see him lead a team in the preseason, and then regular season.

Until then, it doesn't matter debating this issue.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

So Alex choked in Seattle because VD dropped a TD pass and Crab ducked one? And he still threw for over 300 yards? Or Delanie dropping the TD pass because of the uncalled PI? And Frank fumbled a ball that would've led to a field goal? And we decided to not play for overtime? Come on dude that's a bunch of BS, he was the only reason we were in that friggin game to begin with.

Not to mention we MUFFED a punt, giving Seattle GREAT field position to score... In which they did.. Billbird has no idea what he's talking about

[ Edited by defenderDX on Aug 10, 2010 at 20:16:14 ]

Originally posted by defenderDX:

Not to mention we MUFFED a punt, giving Seattle GREAT field position to score... In which they did.. Billbird has no idea what he's talking about

You're so right. Alex is and always be a quality QB. He's the type of QB that doesn't need to understand a playbook in order to be a successful QB in this league. You could throw out Raye's playbook and Alex will make things happen on his own. He just has that magic and charisma to him. Heck, he did even better than Shaun Hill. Argument over.
Originally posted by jreff22:

hahaha

i just re-watched that game last night we lost it for many reasons, blowing 3 time outs in 1Q, fumbling a punt return, blown PI call when leroy hill was guarding d walker in the end zone, too many 3 and out (again), gore fumbles, VD 2 dropped td passes, crabtree fearing a hit from milloy on potential td pass............sadly i could on, one of the sloppiest games we've played, and smith had his only 300 yard game of his career and didnt throw a pick, there is no way we can play worse there in week 1 than we did last season
Originally posted by crabman82:

i just re-watched that game last night we lost it for many reasons, blowing 3 time outs in 1Q, fumbling a punt return, blown PI call when leroy hill was guarding d walker in the end zone, too many 3 and out (again), gore fumbles, VD 2 dropped td passes, crabtree fearing a hit from milloy on potential td pass............sadly i could on, one of the sloppiest games we've played, and smith had his only 300 yard game of his career and didnt throw a pick, there is no way we can play worse there in week 1 than we did last season

With that one bolded statement, and all the mistakes OTHER players made, how the f**k can it be said that Alex "choked" in that game?
Originally posted by crabman82:

With that one bolded statement, and all the mistakes OTHER players made, how the f**k can it be said that Alex "choked" in that game?

have no clue, it was one of his best games, he wasnt picked up by his team mates in the game
Share 49ersWebzone