LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 233 users in the forums

Mays Off The Edge?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As a change of pace, how do you think Mays could do in obvious passing situations? He could play OLB opposite Brooks. He's fast, quick, and loves to hit. I would have him alternate with Lawson as change of pace tactic. I think Mays would spin the heads of most R.T's. He may not start at the beginning of this season or all this next year. This could be a way for him to contribute right away. It could be an interesting role for him as a pass rusher. I think that pass rushing is more innate than playing safety. A safety has to recognize pass patterns and different offensive formations. Pass rushing is more pin your ears back and get the Q.B. He'd be O.K. against the run too if that happened while he was in. Any thoughts?

[ Edited by stevenking57 on May 12, 2010 at 20:31:48 ]
Originally posted by stevenking57:
As a change of pace, how do you think Mays could do in obvious passing situations? He could play OLB opposite Brooks. He's fast, quick, and loves to hit. I would have him alternate with Lawson as change of pace tactic. I think Mays would spin the heads of most R.T's. He may not start at the beginning of this season or all this next year. It could be an interesting role for him as a pass rusher. He's be O.K. against the run too if that happened while he was in. Any thoughts?

Parys, brooks, Laboy and even Lawson over Mays in pass rushing skills. I would love to see him blitz alot, but not from the OLB position.
Originally posted by Dominate:
As a change of pace, how do you think Mays could do in obvious passing situations? He could play OLB opposite Brooks. He's fast, quick, and loves to hit. I would have him alternate with Lawson as change of pace tactic. I think Mays would spin the heads of most R.T's. He may not start at the beginning of this season or all this next year. It could be an interesting role for him as a pass rusher. He's be O.K. against the run too if that happened while he was in. Any thoughts?

Parys, brooks, Laboy and even Lawson over Mays in pass rushing skills. I would love to see him blitz alot, but not from the OLB position.
ALL good points, BUT none of those guys you mention have the combination size AND speed of Mays. He could be and interesting guy off the edge. Your right though, he'd also be VERY effective off the edge at Safety too!
Originally posted by Dominate:

ALL good points, BUT none of those guys you mention have the combination size AND speed of Mays. He could be and interesting guy off the edge. Your right though, he'd also be VERY effective off the edge at Safety too!

We could do a lot of blitzing with Mays from safety because he is an in the box type of safety. So it wouldnt tip the offense that he was blitzing if he we close to the line of scrimmage.
dumbest thing the team could do is try to make mays an undersized linebacker
  • NickDaNiner
  • Info N/A
Leave Lawson in and have him drop back into coverage and bring Mays on the safety blitz!... Genius!...
Originally posted by NickDaNiner:
Leave Lawson in and have him drop back into coverage and bring Mays on the safety blitz!... Genius!...

Win
Originally posted by spizzy:

Win

Epic Win
  • NickDaNiner
  • Info N/A
Thanx fellas... I think it utilizes both there talents and having them both on the field on passing downs will be huge...
id like to see him pull some troy palamalu type blitzs

I don't think he has the size and strength to toss blockers around like an outside linebacker would
Originally posted by wolfpack52:

Win

Epic Win

now if only Lawson could cover.
  • NickDaNiner
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by wolfpack52:

Win

Epic Win

now if only Lawson could cover.

Lawson is one of the best coverage olb in the game.... Check his int covering Torry Holt 2 years ago... His heighth and speed is deadly to te's let alone wr's...
I'm sure he will blitz sometimes.
im sure the niners will try him out at the safety blitz plays as do the cardinals do it with adrian wilson
Share 49ersWebzone