LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Sing's Formula for Success

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by norcal49er864:
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
Originally posted by NattoNiner:
Icing on cake is only sweeter when there's actual cake.

Sing may bring smash mouth type football, but he he doesn't have the smarts to conjure up intelligent plays.

It doesn't matter, after this season Sing will be removed as HC and someone with actual scheming experience will take over. It should have been Shanahan, and now I hope it's Gruden.

you should never post on webzone again... sing is the best thing that happend to this franchise in along time

How? By giving us an 8-8 season? That's progress to expect with the talent we've accumulated over the last 5 years of free agent spending and top 10 draft picks.

Singletary is not qualified to be a head coach, he doesn't know an x from an o.... he was perfect in the capacity of assistant head coach because he is a top-notch motivator.... this isn't 1960's NFL football, we can't will our way deep into the playoffs. It takes scheming in this day and age, and we lost atleast three games this year due to out-coaching alone (see: Green Bay, Houston, and Seattle)

I don't understand where this opinion comes from that gets spouted off like it's common knowledge. Singletary was arguably the greatest MLB's to play in the NFL, and he doesn't know an X from an O? Are you kidding me? He's forgotten more X's and O's than you will ever know. Granted, it might not be his strength, but to parade around this opinion this Singletary is retarded is not only untrue, but plain offensive. Jesus Christ, it's like half the webzone is 13 years old.

And it's not like Singletary hasn't used the word BALANCE over and over again to describe his ideal offense. What's that? He has? Does balance mean running the ball every play and then punting? I don't think so. Even teams that are elite passing teams need maulers on their o-line. Anyone who think that drafting two huge, intimidating SOB's for our O-line is DETRIMENTAL to our passing game is intellectually bankrupt when it comes to football.

You want to talk about what Singletary brings to this team? Toughness, passion, the ability to get the most out of his players, work ethic, the ability to inspire men, the ability to adapt, the willingness to learn from his mistakes, and the willingness to delegate the tasks he is NOT as adept at to other people who are better at them than he is.

Do we have an all-pro, team-oriented Vernon Davis without Singletary? Probably not, Do we have a possible developing pass-rush demon in Ahmad Brooks? Probably not. Do we take chances on other players with character issues? Michael Crabtree, Anthony Davis, Josh Morgan? I understand Crabtree is extremely talented, but if you don't believe that Singletary gives our organization the confidence it needs to take talented but questionable character players, than you are blind.

Second of all, have you actually taken the time to look up the offensive statistics of the Kansas City Chiefs teams that featured both Jimmy Raye AND Mike Solari? Let's see,

In 1999 Elvis Grbac put up 3389 yards, 22 TDs, 15 Ints, throwing to Tony Gonzalez, Derrick Alexander, and a little bit of Joe Horn. Meanwhile, the chiefs fielded a trio of RBs: Donnell Bennet (627 yds, 3.9 ypc, 8 TDs), Bam Morris (414 yds, 3.5 ypc, 3 TDs), and Tony Richardson (387 yds, 4.6 ypc, and 1 TD). They were the 8th highest scoring team in the league and finished 9-7 and first in an AFC west that featured the also 9-7 Seattle Seahawks, the 8-8 San Diego Chargers, and the 8-8 Oakland Raiders

In 2000 Elvis Grbac put up 4100 yards, 28 TDs, 14 INTs, throwing to Tony Gonzalez and Derrick Alexander, with no RB on the team gaining more than 700 yards rushing. I should add that they were the 9th highest scoring offense in the league that year, with only the 19th best defense in terms of opponent scoring.

So you wanna talk about Jimmy Raye not knowing how to coach a passing game, about Jimmy Raye not knowing how to get the most out of his players, diverse and/or limited as their skillsets may be, you can just sit the f*ck down and shut the f*ck up.

Yeah, that's what I thought...

Back to the 49ers, this is about to be Singletary's 2nd full year as a head coach. This is about to Jed's 2nd full year of full ownership responsibilities. So why even bring up 5 years of acquiring talent in the face of the simple fact that this current regime is just settling in? Even still, do you not remember how bad this team was in 2005? Ken mother effing dorsey, a rookie Alex Smith, and Tim Rattay throwing to Curtis Conway and Otis Amey, with Kevan barlow in the backfield. The talent vacuum on this team was so epically bad we set records for inept offensive performances.

Just look at the Houston Texans (who I would argue we were worse than when their franchise played their first NFL season). It took them 8 years just to get to 8-8.

People want quick fixes. Quick fixes are sexy. Our society is all about instant gratification and what I want, screw everyone else. Too bad that's just unrealistic to expect all the time. It does happen, but it requires a perfect storm of events to unfold (New Orleans Saints, LITERALLY). When something doesn't appear to be a quick fix we throw it away because we have no patience, when we can't see the forest through the trees. For the first time since 2004, we have a legitimately talented team. Legitimately talented thanks to ROOKIES who we JUST drafted. Any team that we have fielded since then was literally nothing more than a 4-12 team that overachieved at times. If you don't believe me, than you didn't watch EVERY game for the last 5 years like I have. Fine, last year we were slightly better than that, but we also were in a weak division with only one real rival. If we were in the NFC East, we would have been in contention with the redskins for the worst team in that division. Last year's team still had legitimate questions, and we squeaked out 8 wins (we probably could have had more) THANKS to a combination of coaching and a weak division.

So please, spare me that 5 years of acquiring talent, he doesn't know any X's and O's, QUICK FIX OMG!!!1!!!!111!!1one11 I R FAN I R ALWAYZ RIET I KNO BETTARR THN JOO, bull crap that I know is so prevalent around here. Educate yourself so you won't pollute the internet anymore.

Well stated Norcal and thank you for taking the time to do so!

I also recall that it was the D that gave up a halfback pass in Indy and a last second TD to a future HOF QB and then could not stop the wounded Seahawks at the end either. With two of those three games we could have been a 10-6 team last season. We have a quality D but we need our O to control the ball and keep the D off the field.
Sing has said repeatedly that he wants balance...power running AND a real passing threat. Many people seem not to have noticed the amount of speed that is on this team's O. VD and DW are fast' J. Hill and B. Jones are fast, Ginn and the rookie WR/KR/PR guys just added are fast. Hill did not see the field much and Jones was injured, but you can not make the argument that Sing is not trying to balance running and passing.
The OL is the key and now it seems that every effort is being made to fix that, starting with the coaching. Adding both Solari and Brown could be the difference that was needed and now they have more to work with; not too mention if the OL works, the options that are opened up for Jimmy Raye are tremendous!

Sing may bring smash mouth type football, but he he doesn't have the smarts to conjure up intelligent plays.

It doesn't matter, after this season Sing will be removed as HC and someone with actual scheming experience will take over. It should have been Shanahan, and now I hope it's Gruden.

What makes you so sure that Sing is on his way out? That's total BS.

Coach Sing isn't going anywhere.
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:

Non*sense, oooo let's hand over a ripe team to Gruden like Tampa did to go win the big show as if he built the team? H^ll No.......... Sing is doing an AWESOME job and he will be hear to enjoy the fruits of his labor when we win it all, and we are about to turn the corner-mark it!
Since this thread was about Sing's formula for succcess lets get back to that point.

You can argue about whether we'll be a run orintated offence or a pass happy offence all you like but bottom line is that the team wants to be balanced but the offence showed last year that it will do whatever is necessary to win, (ie go to a more pass first offence) and showed in the draft by drafting too huge Oline man that they want to be able to run the ball better in 2010. Hence the continued use of the word BALANCE

So, back to Sing's formula. Its simple really (and its not just his formula but the philosophy of McNolan, McLoughlan and Trenty): ready.....well his formula is

Big, physical, fast, strong football players with a proven track record at college or in the NFL, with a hunger for playing football (and preferably with something to prove) and someone willing to work hard to improve. Keep adding those players to your roster in all three phases of the game and you'll have his 'formula for success'.

Singletary wants to put a physical team ("with a capital F") on the field that is talented, fast, determined and will fight for every yard on every down. He believes its these type of teams that win consistently. Its not therefore about how many times we run on first down its about imposing your will and desire to win onto the opposition.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
1. Smashmouth Defense
2. Establish great field position via PR
3. Run the ball down opponent's throats
4. Redzone diversity and efficiency---Gore/Davis/Crabtree

We do the above well the odds for our success increase dramatically...well doh :)

#1 I agree
#2 Yet to be proven
#3 I completely disagree
#4 I agree
Originally posted by NJNiner:

What makes you so sure that Sing is on his way out? That's total BS.

Coach Sing isn't going anywhere.

Doesn't have the smarts? That's not an intellegent thing to say. Particularily when you suggest replacing him with a coach in Gruden who was smart enough to leave Tony Dungy's system in place to win the Super Bowl.
All you saps know I'm the most successful poster here at the Zone in terms of coaching moves. My Niner season predictions have a better success rate than MadDog with the draft.

In terms of coaches, I have the unique ability to run down a coach's philosophy based on film, press conference, and past experience. And from what I can tell you, Sing is taking the 'physical' aspect of football too far - because he's making up for the lack of football intelligence.

He's not a General; he's a Lieutenant with a horse strapped with Gatling - ball's out.

Natto's rule of priority for coaching football greatness:

1. Scheming abilities (smarts, for those of you who don't know what that means)
2. Physical abilities
3. Positive attitude (preferably 'chips on the shoulder')

If you want more great insight, follow me on 49erswebzone.com.

Yours truly,
NattoNiner
All you saps know I'm the most successful poster here at the Zone in terms of coaching moves. My Niner season predictions have a better success rate than MadDog with the draft.

In terms of coaches, I have the unique ability to run down a coach's philosophy based on film, press conference, and past experience. And from what I can tell you, Sing is taking the 'physical' aspect of football too far - because he's making up for the lack of football intelligence.

He's not a General; he's a Lieutenant with a horse strapped with Gatling - ball's out.

2. Physical abilities

Yours truly,
NattoNiner

So we are saps because we don't agree with you? lol! BTW who the hell are you anyway? If you are so freaking good at analyzing coaches, I hear the Niners have a vacancy at GM. You should look into it.

2. Physical abilities

Yours truly,
NattoNiner

Tool.
Originally posted by norcal49er864:
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:

you should never post on webzone again... sing is the best thing that happend to this franchise in along time

How? By giving us an 8-8 season? That's progress to expect with the talent we've accumulated over the last 5 years of free agent spending and top 10 draft picks.

Singletary is not qualified to be a head coach, he doesn't know an x from an o.... he was perfect in the capacity of assistant head coach because he is a top-notch motivator.... this isn't 1960's NFL football, we can't will our way deep into the playoffs. It takes scheming in this day and age, and we lost atleast three games this year due to out-coaching alone (see: Green Bay, Houston, and Seattle)

I don't understand where this opinion comes from that gets spouted off like it's common knowledge. Singletary was arguably the greatest MLB's to play in the NFL, and he doesn't know an X from an O? Are you kidding me? He's forgotten more X's and O's than you will ever know. Granted, it might not be his strength, but to parade around this opinion this Singletary is retarded is not only untrue, but plain offensive. Jesus Christ, it's like half the webzone is 13 years old.

And it's not like Singletary hasn't used the word BALANCE over and over again to describe his ideal offense. What's that? He has? Does balance mean running the ball every play and then punting? I don't think so. Even teams that are elite passing teams need maulers on their o-line. Anyone who think that drafting two huge, intimidating SOB's for our O-line is DETRIMENTAL to our passing game is intellectually bankrupt when it comes to football.

You want to talk about what Singletary brings to this team? Toughness, passion, the ability to get the most out of his players, work ethic, the ability to inspire men, the ability to adapt, the willingness to learn from his mistakes, and the willingness to delegate the tasks he is NOT as adept at to other people who are better at them than he is.

Do we have an all-pro, team-oriented Vernon Davis without Singletary? Probably not, Do we have a possible developing pass-rush demon in Ahmad Brooks? Probably not. Do we take chances on other players with character issues? Michael Crabtree, Anthony Davis, Josh Morgan? I understand Crabtree is extremely talented, but if you don't believe that Singletary gives our organization the confidence it needs to take talented but questionable character players, than you are blind.

Second of all, have you actually taken the time to look up the offensive statistics of the Kansas City Chiefs teams that featured both Jimmy Raye AND Mike Solari? Let's see,

In 1999 Elvis Grbac put up 3389 yards, 22 TDs, 15 Ints, throwing to Tony Gonzalez, Derrick Alexander, and a little bit of Joe Horn. Meanwhile, the chiefs fielded a trio of RBs: Donnell Bennet (627 yds, 3.9 ypc, 8 TDs), Bam Morris (414 yds, 3.5 ypc, 3 TDs), and Tony Richardson (387 yds, 4.6 ypc, and 1 TD). They were the 8th highest scoring team in the league and finished 9-7 and first in an AFC west that featured the also 9-7 Seattle Seahawks, the 8-8 San Diego Chargers, and the 8-8 Oakland Raiders

In 2000 Elvis Grbac put up 4100 yards, 28 TDs, 14 INTs, throwing to Tony Gonzalez and Derrick Alexander, with no RB on the team gaining more than 700 yards rushing. I should add that they were the 9th highest scoring offense in the league that year, with only the 19th best defense in terms of opponent scoring.

So you wanna talk about Jimmy Raye not knowing how to coach a passing game, about Jimmy Raye not knowing how to get the most out of his players, diverse and/or limited as their skillsets may be, you can just sit the f*ck down and shut the f*ck up.

Yeah, that's what I thought...

Back to the 49ers, this is about to be Singletary's 2nd full year as a head coach. This is about to Jed's 2nd full year of full ownership responsibilities. So why even bring up 5 years of acquiring talent in the face of the simple fact that this current regime is just settling in? Even still, do you not remember how bad this team was in 2005? Ken mother effing dorsey, a rookie Alex Smith, and Tim Rattay throwing to Curtis Conway and Otis Amey, with Kevan barlow in the backfield. The talent vacuum on this team was so epically bad we set records for inept offensive performances.

Just look at the Houston Texans (who I would argue we were worse than when their franchise played their first NFL season). It took them 8 years just to get to 8-8.

People want quick fixes. Quick fixes are sexy. Our society is all about instant gratification and what I want, screw everyone else. Too bad that's just unrealistic to expect all the time. It does happen, but it requires a perfect storm of events to unfold (New Orleans Saints, LITERALLY). When something doesn't appear to be a quick fix we throw it away because we have no patience, when we can't see the forest through the trees. For the first time since 2004, we have a legitimately talented team. Legitimately talented thanks to ROOKIES who we JUST drafted. Any team that we have fielded since then was literally nothing more than a 4-12 team that overachieved at times. If you don't believe me, than you didn't watch EVERY game for the last 5 years like I have. Fine, last year we were slightly better than that, but we also were in a weak division with only one real rival. If we were in the NFC East, we would have been in contention with the redskins for the worst team in that division. Last year's team still had legitimate questions, and we squeaked out 8 wins (we probably could have had more) THANKS to a combination of coaching and a weak division.

So please, spare me that 5 years of acquiring talent, he doesn't know any X's and O's, QUICK FIX OMG!!!1!!!!111!!1one11 I R FAN I R ALWAYZ RIET I KNO BETTARR THN JOO, bull crap that I know is so prevalent around here. Educate yourself so you won't pollute the internet anymore.

Post of the year.

2. Physical abilities

Yours truly,
NattoNiner

Saps?

I'll show you some Saps...

It's Double Sapp time!

2. Physical abilities

Yours truly,
NattoNiner

If this is true then Mike Martz would be a HOF HC.

FAIL!!!!!

Singfan? NolanNonsense? Sabrason?

Nice to know you can be metamorphic.

Now it's Gruden?

Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

2. Physical abilities

Yours truly,
NattoNiner

Saps?

I'll show you some Saps...

It's Double Sapp time!

Yes, Ron Sapp, he represents all american asians - in the jap rapper biz.

[ Edited by NattoNiner on Apr 28, 2010 at 10:39:39 ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
The webzone is full of haters, saps, and many other things. The one thing I know is that this will be the best team fielded, an actual kr/pr, an oc returning for the first time, best line, and best wr's in years....

When it starts to get good, it seems its not good enough for the webzone and 9ner faithful....
Share 49ersWebzone