LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Sing's Formula for Success

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by djutberg:
I'm curious why everybody seems to think that Singletary wants to have a run-heavy smashmouth offense. The term 'balance' has been the cause de jour for both him and Raye since last season.

Balance wasn't an option last season because the O-Line was pushed 2 yds behind scrimmage by the time Gore got his hands on the ball. The only option left if we wanted to win games was going pass heavy.

If the first down produces decent yardage, that opens up the playbook for second down. (Play action, deep out, sideline fly, etc) When 3rd & short situations are regularly converted, it keeps the defense off the field and allows them to be more aggressive in attacking the QB.

On balance, I think that a base set with Gore/Coffee behind the line, Crabtree/Morgan split out, Davis in Tight and D. Walker or T. Ginn holding the last spot gives the team a plethora of options. (Ginn down the sideline, Davis in the middle, and Crabs on a comeback forces the Defense to leave somebody in single coverage . . . and when the SS backs out of the box, it's time for the Frank Gore show to begin)

Playcalling is situation dependent. Unfortunately, there aren't many plays for 2nd & long and 3rd & long. When the O-Line starts holding its ground, it will open up the playbook dramatically.

I am guessing because we got two "maulers" in the first round, along with a hefty RB in Dixon. Sing has always said he wants balance though, but people just assume "smashmouth" running offense...
Originally posted by NattoNiner:
Icing on cake is only sweeter when there's actual cake.

Sing may bring smash mouth type football, but he he doesn't have the smarts to conjure up intelligent plays.

It doesn't matter, after this season Sing will be removed as HC and someone with actual scheming experience will take over. It should have been Shanahan, and now I hope it's Gruden.

I completely disagree, Sing is gonna be here for a long time. We will win the west and be in the playoffs in 2010.
s**t i wish one of his formula's were out of the Brady and company camp.

when he said, "we are gonna try and score as many points in the game as we can all the way until the last seconds."

meaning if they are up by 2 td's with 2 minutes left of the board and they have the ball, then they are gonna run the 2 minute offense to see if they can score again.

I wish this could be a part of our formula.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
hit em in the mouth!

Sorry but Blount signed with the Titans instead...

Sing meant to hit em with the shoulder, not fists.

I want winners!
I agree with djutberg's analysis. But our OL may not improve immediately. Our new OL draft choices are young and green as grass. There is a steep learning curve ahead of them.

Our coaches may not trust them at the beginning of the season, and we will have to suffer through the anguish of watching a DE blow by a slow-footed Snyder, an untouched DT speed by a flat-footed Rachal, and a SS squeeze past a slow-reacting Baas.

The coaches might dare to put the youngsters in, but we will wince every time they screw up. Alex may still have to deal with that he dealt with last season, while we have to listen to the haters continuing to condemn him for our lack of success.

Sing may bring smash mouth type football, but he he doesn't have the smarts to conjure up intelligent plays.

It doesn't matter, after this season Sing will be removed as HC and someone with actual scheming experience will take over. It should have been Shanahan, and now I hope it's Gruden.

What a tool.
Originally posted by excelsior:
I agree with djutberg's analysis. But our OL may not improve immediately. Our new OL draft choices are young and green as grass. There is a steep learning curve ahead of them.

Our coaches may not trust them at the beginning of the season, and we will have to suffer through the anguish of watching a DE blow by a slow-footed Snyder, an untouched DT speed by a flat-footed Rachal, and a SS squeeze past a slow-reacting Baas.

The coaches might dare to put the youngsters in, but we will wince every time they screw up. Alex may still have to deal with that he dealt with last season, while we have to listen to the haters continuing to condemn him for our lack of success.

Great, great post!!!!
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
hit em in the mouth!

lol
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by excelsior:

Great, great post!!!!

The X factor is o-line coach Mike Solari. If we use zone blocking, the whole O line may need to get in sync. As to making rookie mistakes, the only way to gain experience is to play at game speed. Let the competition begin!
Originally posted by crzy:
It's too bad it's not 1985, otherwise we might be a Super Bowl contender.

But in 2010, you have to be able to pass the football to win championships.

I couldn't disagree more.

We have the right strategy for the talent we have. Smith might be servicable, but he's no Joe (and I mean Flacco). Now if we had Matty Ice or Breeze i would agree with you 100 percent, but we dont. So the next best strategy is tough defense and a ball control offense. Thats how you beat high flying teams like the Colts and Saints. Yes this strategy will make for a few more nail bitters than we like, but until we find that "Franchise QB" its the right move.

P.S. I see us becoming the JETS west and last I checked they are serious SB contenders.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Apr 27, 2010 at 11:37:51 ]

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by crzy:
It's too bad it's not 1985, otherwise we might be a Super Bowl contender.

But in 2010, you have to be able to pass the football to win championships.

I couldn't disagree more.

We have the right strategy for the talent we have. Smith might be servicable, but he's no Joe (and I mean Flacco). Now if we had Matty Ice or Breeze i would agree with you 100 percent, but we dont. So the next best strategy is tough defense and a ball control offense. Thats how you beat high flying teams like the Colts and Saints. Yes this strategy will make for a few more nail bitters than we like, but until we find that "Franchise QB" its the right move.

P.S. I see us becoming the JETS west and last I checked they are serious SB contenders.

BUMP!
can someone explain why sing gets raked over the coals for his football philosophy, but rex ryan has the same mentality and rolls out a qb with over 20 int's and they made it to the final 4, that should be evidence enough that this style can win
Originally posted by crabman82:
can someone explain why sing gets raked over the coals for his football philosophy, but rex ryan has the same mentality and rolls out a qb with over 20 int's and they made it to the final 4, that should be evidence enough that this style can win

Exactly my point.
1. Smashmouth Everything
2. Give everyone on the opposing team a bloody nose
3. Let the opposing team know that this is, in fact, your kind of party
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:

you should never post on webzone again... sing is the best thing that happend to this franchise in along time

How? By giving us an 8-8 season? That's progress to expect with the talent we've accumulated over the last 5 years of free agent spending and top 10 draft picks.

Singletary is not qualified to be a head coach, he doesn't know an x from an o.... he was perfect in the capacity of assistant head coach because he is a top-notch motivator.... this isn't 1960's NFL football, we can't will our way deep into the playoffs. It takes scheming in this day and age, and we lost atleast three games this year due to out-coaching alone (see: Green Bay, Houston, and Seattle)
Share 49ersWebzone