LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 257 users in the forums

**RECAST***Can we agree that we can call Balmer a bust yet?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

**RECAST***Can we agree that we can call Balmer a bust yet?

He has not proven that he's a bust or a good pick,yet. Most defensive lineman need about 2-3 years to develop into a good player. Balmer is just stuck behind a good defensive line at at the moment, he's obviously not going to unseat Justin Smith, he's a not a true NT, and Sopoaga isn't doing anything bad to lose his starting job.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He should have never been drafted. With Soap and Smith intrenched as the starters he was doomed from the beginning. We should have taken a more pressing need then DE wiith our first pick. Like Mad said, you don't take a player in the 1st round to be a backup DE.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Aug 5, 2010 at 06:45:55 ]
This will be the telling season...he's healthy, motivated and those two things should propel him to some good play. If not, then the bust label's warranted. Fans need to understand he's not a lifelong football player. He emerged during his senior season at NC...and was highly rated by just about every scout in the country with the caveat he'd take some time to develop at the NFL level. Often the 3rd year is the charm for quite a few players, especially those with limited college experience.
Per Phil Barbers twitter
"Defense ends nutcracker w/ flourish as Sopoaga throws Cody Wallace aside, then Balmer eats up Barry Sims"

I take it back, he's a sure fire HOFer! I mean if we are gonna over react to negative tweets we should be consistent right?
Originally posted by 5280High:
Per Phil Barbers twitter
"Defense ends nutcracker w/ flourish as Sopoaga throws Cody Wallace aside, then Balmer eats up Barry Sims"

I take it back, he's a sure fire HOFer! I mean if we are gonna over react to negative tweets we should be consistent right?

The next coming of Reggie White
I've been as critical of Balmer as anyone here. I couldn't stand that god awful "Kentwan Balmer, this is your year" thread or any of the homers posting about how great he was gonna be.
Doesn't he have more kick returns than sacks? Not something you want from a 1st round DE. This is easily one of Scotty's worst picks. The most telling thing about Balmer, IMO, is he is still riding the pine. We can all agree that Justin Smith owns the RDE spot. Balmer was supposed to either develop into a NT or play LDE. After several seasons, he was done niether. Franklin has turned into a very good 1 gap NT and Balmer has ZERO chance of playing better than him. Soap, on the other hand, is supposed to be the weak link on the line. Not only has Balmer NOT taken over the starting role, but he had to fight off Evans for playing time before getting injuried.
This year, Balmer will be fighting for a roster spot. RJF looks to have the back up NT spot locked up. RayMac is the first DE off the bench and is the best true DE pass rusher behind Smith. It's safe to assume that 5 DL spots are set already with Smith, Franklin, Soap, RayMac, and RJF. I doubt the team will carry more than 6 D linemen on the 53 man roster. That leaves one roster spot for Evans, Balmer, Walker, and K. Mitchell. If you follow the blogs, you might have heard Mitchell's name mention once or twice.... I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

I'd like to give Balmer a little more time. He has had some injury issues and that should buy him a little more time to prove himself. This could easily be his last camp in a Niner uniform if he doesn't show something this preseason.

[ Edited by AKfanster on Aug 5, 2010 at 22:36:38 ]
It is certainly looking more likely that Balmer is entering bust territory.
Just an absolutely horrible pick. Scot M. hosed us again.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Just an absolutely horrible pick. Scot M. hosed us again.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wailers15:
Yep I agree should've been Desean Jackson that was a no brainer!!

Maybe a no brainer to Cal homers, or those who bookmarked and even downloaded his youtube highlight reels but 32 NFL teams passed once, some twice. So that means 32 NFL teams did not see him as a first round talent.

In hindsight it's easy to say it was a "no brainer" but at the time Jackson was not a "no brainer" pick.

Originally posted by 49Crabs:
It is certainly looking more likely that Balmer is entering bust territory.

A week ago I was leaning towards "too early to tell." Now it definately looks like bust. Damn!
Yes..Bust, he hasnt progressed and he's been giving enough time. Late 1st round picks bust sometimes, no big deal. Time to move on.
2 Years ago when I saw him at Club NV in SF in the VIP Area, and my buddies were making fun of me when I went up to him to chat and ask about Sing etc... When i came back to my boys, they were clowning me saying, "Man why you go talk to that scrub? He's a bust... he ain't ever gonna do s**t" I should have listened...
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zozell:
2 Years ago when I saw him at Club NV in SF in the VIP Area, and my buddies were making fun of me when I went up to him to chat and ask about Sing etc... When i came back to my boys, they were clowning me saying, "Man why you go talk to that scrub? He's a bust... he ain't ever gonna do s**t" I should have listened...

Your boys are clowning players and passing judgment on their future after 1 year in the pro's ? Do these boys post in 9er Talk on the regular ?
we need to recast our votes ...balmer can eat one!
Share 49ersWebzone