There are 213 users in the forums

**RECAST***Can we agree that we can call Balmer a bust yet?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

**RECAST***Can we agree that we can call Balmer a bust yet?

Not sure why there is this urge to call our players busts. Instead of waiting to see their development. Short attention span I guess
Originally posted by English:
Not sure why there is this urge to call our players busts. Instead of waiting to see their development. Short attention span I guess

It is a common occurrence on this board, it is ridiculous to expect every single player your team drafts to be an instant star.
Balmer has never once impressed me. He has never once made a flash that he can and will be a star. But I'm hoping for the guy.
What is the rush to label everyone a bust? People want microwave players at every position from every pick. Just grab a Snickers or something and chill. Maybe a Corona instead.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Where is the basic no answer?
It's too early but I don't think he was a good pick.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's too early but I don't think he was a good pick.

this. i kind of forget he's even on the team.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by sacniner:
I think he has been in the league two years and it's hard to even tell if he is on the team. I can't remember him doing anything meaningful (tackle for a loss, sack) yet.

Then you are not watching the games very closely. He has not been in the game much but when he is he has made plays. It seems to me like people should notice him right away when he's in there because when he is he does something good. Kind of like Jason Hill. A guy that really made the most of his few opportunities (in 2009).

Originally posted by sacniner:
If he does anything this year it will be a HUGE improvement. The odds are against him. Most reasonable people would say he has sucked a55 so far and it's hard to believe he will not be a bust.

Most reasonable people that don't actually pay attention, or just reasonable people overall? He really has looked good when he's been in the game, before going on IR of course, and IMO would be a very good DT in a 43 D and would be starting if we ran that system.

There is nothing wrong with a young 2nd year player not being your team's best at his position, regardless of where he was drafted. Balmer is 23 years old and has very good players in front of him on the depth chart. This sort of thing happens when a team starts compiling talent. We shouldn't be mad about having drafted Balmer, we should be excited that we have such talent and depth on the D Line.

This is total BS. He has not played well at all. He had one game where the radio announcer said he played well because he held his position. He has had absolutely no impact on this team at all. None. He doesn't play because he hasn't earned it. And your assertion of "regardless of where he was drafted" is ridiculous. Number one picks have higher expectations almost immediately. Of course it matters where he was picked.

Please provide evidence of him playing making plays. And your comparison of him to Jason Hill is ridiculous.
[ Edited by sacniner on Apr 21, 2010 at 11:26 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I don't think he's going to ever live up to his first round draft position as a 3-4 DE. An "adequate" player at best, but not a real game-changer or difference maker. At least it sure doesn't seem like it at this point.

But.. I wouldn't call him a bust.

OTC, I haven't heard from you on the board in a little while. Can you summarize what you think of Jimmy Claussen...not of the 9ers taking him, but purely of him as a prospect.
If Tyson Jackson puts up crappy numbers this year is he a bust? The jury is still out for at least this year.

In Madden he is a bust
Depends on how you define "bust".

As a draft pick? In terms of value? Probably. From what we've seen so far, it looks like we probably could have gotten equal or better value at the same position in later rounds or with a second tier vet signing, and used a first round pick on a better talent upgrade.

As a player who might yet make an impact on the team or in the NFL? Nope. Just not enough time in the league or on the field. Part of that is circumstance of his position, learning curve and who is in front of him. And part of it is he obviously isn't a elite talent who was ready to make an impact right away.

Not many D-linemen are as first or second year players, but that is what you are looking for in a first round pick.
Its kinda hard to get Playing Time when Smith, Soapaga, and Franklin have been lights out for us. He is a key rotational gut for us. He is by far a bust. We can get a better fit for him if he started, we cant though because of the depth we have at DL, and thats a good thing.
Originally posted by Dominate:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Originally posted by Dominate:
you have to get on the field in order to be a bust. this is just an all togther miss.

That is exactly why he is a bust. He is not good enough to get on the field. I think it is very funny that you guys actually think this guy has potential. Can you think of one game where you said "Kentwan Balmer had a good game"?

Its not his fault that a 3-4 team drafted him when it was obvious he was a 4-3 DT. Drafting a guy that doesnt fir your scheme doesnt make him a bust. It just makes your front office look foolish.
Wow! Looks like over 70% disagree with you on this one (that we cannot call him a bust yet)...
Share 49ersWebzone