LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

One thing David Carr is already better than Alex at

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I really hope that Alex is the Qb going into this season. I trully believe that he is our best option at the position. That being said, I am pretty confident in saying that Carr is better than Alex from under center. That may be obvious I don't know, but we all know about Alex's struggles in that area. Carr on the other hand has been under center for his entire career if I'm not mistaken. If Alex struggles for any prolonged period of time maybe we should give Carr a shot. Again I would be very supprised if this happened especially with Alex in year two and Carr learning the offense from scratch.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Mar 11, 2010 at 7:17 PM ]
  • Chico
  • Veteran
This is the year for Alex to prove himself! I truly want him to succeed. But, if we're on a 3-4 game losing streak because of lousy QB play and interceptions, it's time for a change.

ARE YOU WITH ME!!!???
If Alex doesn't win the starting job (period) this year, or somehow manages to get his ass yanked after week 5 he won't be a 49er in 2011.

Hell, it already sounds like Carr wants a starting job more than Alex Smith. I wouldn't honestly be surprised if Carr's determination/leadership/play could swoon Singletary into making him a starter, I'm not s**ttin'.
Originally posted by Chico:
This is the year for Alex to prove himself! I truly want him to succeed. But, if we're on a 3-4 game losing streak because of lousy QB play and interceptions, it's time for a change.

ARE YOU WITH ME!!!???

Alex is the Right Man for the Job
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
If Alex doesn't win the starting job (period) this year, or somehow manages to get his ass yanked after week 5 he won't be a 49er in 2011.

Hell, it already sounds like Carr wants a starting job more than Alex Smith. I wouldn't honestly be surprised if Carr's determination/leadership/play could swoon Singletary into making him a starter, I'm not s**ttin'.

May I ask how you came to this conclusion?
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Have you read his twitter comments? -He doesn't come off as a dude looking for a complacent 'backup' gig behind 'Tiny Hands' Mcgillicutty.

I'm just saying, whether we like it or not there could be a foreshadowed QB competition in the works (yet again).

Have you read his twitter comments? -He doesn't come off as a dude looking for a complacent 'backup' gig behind 'Tiny Hands' Mcgillicutty.

I'm just saying, whether we like it or not there could be a foreshadowed QB competition in the works (yet again).

So you don't have any evidence to back it up. Just based off of opinion and conjecture like I thought. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that David Carr wants to start, but how can you say that he wants it more than Alex Smith?
I'm really starting to like this Carr pick up. If nothing else it captures my over active imagination of what ifs!
Coach sing already proved that he will bench his QB if they're aren't playing to his standards......he benched hill when he was 3-2 on the season. So I don't doubt that if Alex starts turning the ball over a lot then we'll see carr get to play.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I really hope that Alex is the Qb going into this season. I trully believe that he is our best option at the position. That being said, I am pretty confident in saying that Carr is better than Alex from under center. That may be obvious I don't know, but we all know about Alex's struggles in that area. Carr on the other hand has been under center for his entire career if I'm not mistaken. If Alex struggles for any prolonged period of time maybe we should give Carr a shot. Again I would be very supprised if this happened especially with Alex in year two and Carr learning the offense from scratch.

Alex is not as bad from under center as he used to be. And with a full offseason of work in the same system there is no reason he can't be better.

So you don't have any evidence to back it up. Just based off of opinion and conjecture like I thought. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that David Carr wants to start, but how can you say that he wants it more than Alex Smith?

Well, what has Alex shown through conjecture thus far than a couple of mumbled words and zero showing of confidence? -I'm sorry, but that heartfelt 'Hollywood' go-getter crap doesn't buy me, his throwing mechanics are still crap and whenever he throws an interception he still forces his head down in shame.

Besides a heart-felt shoulder story, this guy looks like a wet duck when it comes to exuding any sort of attitude/showing of confidence a winner would. No swagger, no direction, no sense of place or hunger. And I know this because the Alex Smith we see now is the same Alex Smith that came out of Utah (same mislead Urban Meyer disaster put through a non-NFL system with the promise that everything he learned in college will make him an NFL superstar).

It's survival of the fittest, sport, leave the meek and weak at the door.
Please people don't start another Alex debate! This time its Alex Smith vs. David Carr. Last year, it was Alex Smith vs. Shaun Hill. Can we just let Alex play and see what happens? We need to decide things once and for all!

Originally posted by PTulini:
Please people don't start another Alex debate! This time its Alex Smith vs. David Carr. Last year, it was Alex Smith vs. Shaun Hill. Can we just let Alex play and see what happens? We need to decide things once and for all!

if its too close to call then you have 0 QBs!
if you look at the whole picture....this team is really young and starting to develop into a contender season in and season out....thats just my 2cents....would like to see alex smith develop with the rest of the guys and finally see some killer instinct chemistry.
btw if you look back at the games where Alex Smith didn't do so good... you'll see two things in common... bad play calling... and bad OL...when he's doing good you'll see good play calling... spread....mixing it up...play action... either enough time with the bad OL to make a play or a quick play where he doesn't need time.
Share 49ersWebzone