Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
If Alex doesn't win the starting job (period) this year, or somehow manages to get his ass yanked after week 5 he won't be a 49er in 2011.

Hell, it already sounds like Carr wants a starting job more than Alex Smith. I wouldn't honestly be surprised if Carr's determination/leadership/play could swoon Singletary into making him a starter, I'm not s**ttin'.

Chances are that Alex Smith WILL fail. If not, he'll be the first number one drafted BUST in NFL history to turn a career around in year 6 on a team. With that said, the REAL question is whether or not Ninerbrass will finally get a clue and find a viable QB for this roster come 2012. Im not dogging David Carr, as we dont know how he'll play under center; but I think it's about time we get some people on this roster with proven track records.

~Ceadder

Shouldnt you be in hibernation until July ?

Are you effing kidding me? You're obsessed with what you percieve as the fact Alex Smith will suck, yet you say you're not dogging David Carr and you don't know how he'll play under center?

You haven't seen enough of David Carr? Really? Get help.

see you even confuse yourself.

Not really. If you read my post, I clearly said that I would expect Sing/McCloughlan to seek a bonified quarterback next offseason if Alex Smith fails. In other words, even if Carr takes over and has success, I wouldnt buy it as if he's the next heir apparent. I wont attack him directly cause I havent seen him play our our team with our offense. Who knows ? Maybe he can make good receivers look........well.......good. As opposed to Alex Smith, who pretty much turned semi-good players into garbage (Antonio Bryant, D.Jackson, A.Lelie).

Bryant had a decent year and f**ked everything up himself, Jackson decided to drop almost every ball thrown to him, and Lelie never really saw the field because somehow he pissed off Sullivan.

Yeah, blame all that on Smith too. At this point, why not?
If Alex doesn't win the starting job (period) this year, or somehow manages to get his ass yanked after week 5 he won't be a 49er in 2011.

Hell, it already sounds like Carr wants a starting job more than Alex Smith. I wouldn't honestly be surprised if Carr's determination/leadership/play could swoon Singletary into making him a starter, I'm not s**ttin'.

Chances are that Alex Smith WILL fail. If not, he'll be the first number one drafted BUST in NFL history to turn a career around in year 6 on a team. With that said, the REAL question is whether or not Ninerbrass will finally get a clue and find a viable QB for this roster come 2012. Im not dogging David Carr, as we dont know how he'll play under center; but I think it's about time we get some people on this roster with proven track records.

~Ceadder

Are you effing kidding me? You're obsessed with what you percieve as the fact Alex Smith will suck, yet you say you're not dogging David Carr and you don't know how he'll play under center?

Not really. If you read my post, I clearly said that I would expect Sing/McCloughlan to seek a bonified quarterback next offseason if Alex Smith fails. In other words, even if Carr takes over and has success, I wouldnt buy it as if he's the next heir apparent. I wont attack him directly cause I havent seen him play our our team with our offense. Who knows ? Maybe he can make good receivers look........well.......good. As opposed to Alex Smith, who pretty much turned semi-good players into garbage (Antonio Bryant, D.Jackson, A.Lelie).

Bryant had a decent year and f**ked everything up himself, Jackson decided to drop almost every ball thrown to him, and Lelie never really saw the field because somehow he pissed off Sullivan.

VD tied an NFL record and Crabs almost broke Rice's rookie records, despite missing 1/3 of the season.

hmmm
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

May I ask how you came to this conclusion?

Here is the response tweet from Carr's new account there as a Niner:
"Patrick called me almost as soon as he posted his thoughts," Carr writes on TwitLonger in a response to KNBR's Dan Dibley. "We had great talk, I admire his passion for his teamates, but I believe I can help this team. I'm sure Patrick is not the only player who will be thinkn "what's this guy got?", I told him that's why I left NY, to prove to myself and the rest of the NFL, I Can Play at a High Level, I can be the difference for a team, I believe in my heart I'm ready, Patrick and I have one thing in common, we will do ALL that is needed to bring another Championship to the 49ers."LINK

I don't EVER recall Smith saying anything about helping to bring back a Championship to SF. This paragraph already sounds more aggressive than anything Smith has ever said.
I agree with the Snake......

I hope Smith does well, but I also hope that if he doesn't, there is no hesitation to see what Carr has, nuff, is nuff, ya know?
NINERS!
Sad thing is, Carr will take over at some point.

I don't know fans of any other team that would blindly deny failure (A. Smith) year after year and expect a different outcome.

"the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result"
-THE HIVES
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Sad thing is, Carr will take over at some point.

I don't know fans of any other team that would blindly deny failure (A. Smith) year after year and expect a different outcome.

"the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result"
-THE HIVES

I think Einstein beat them to it
  • ZRF80

~Ceadder

I guess it was just coincidence that all of the above put up pretty good numbers right before they teamed up with Smith. And while we're at it, it must be coincidence as well that our receivers always rank towards the top in dropped passes when Alex is under center. I guess his arm is too strong for our guys to handle. Right ?
With Hot Tub Time Machine Coming Out we should all go back to 1986, when Joe was still QB.

Oh but wait, that was the year Joe hurt his back and we had Moroski and Kemp fill in

Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

May I ask how you came to this conclusion?

Here is the response tweet from Carr's new account there as a Niner:
"Patrick called me almost as soon as he posted his thoughts," Carr writes on TwitLonger in a response to KNBR's Dan Dibley. "We had great talk, I admire his passion for his teamates, but I believe I can help this team. I'm sure Patrick is not the only player who will be thinkn "what's this guy got?", I told him that's why I left NY, to prove to myself and the rest of the NFL, I Can Play at a High Level, I can be the difference for a team, I believe in my heart I'm ready, Patrick and I have one thing in common, we will do ALL that is needed to bring another Championship to the 49ers."LINK

I don't EVER recall Smith saying anything about helping to bring back a Championship to SF. This paragraph already sounds more aggressive than anything Smith has ever said.
I agree with the Snake......

I hope Smith does well, but I also hope that if he doesn't, there is no hesitation to see what Carr has, nuff, is nuff, ya know?
NINERS!

But Alex has even as recent as his interview that aired on CSN Bay Area. Just because you capitalize ever doesn't mean it just happened.

Mods should really lock ALL (see I can capitalize too.) quarterback threads until atleast training camp. It was bad when it was Nate Davis, but this is borderline insane.

David Carr? A 30 year old journeryman quarterback who has never produced during his seven year career. He's JTO part 2, the only difference is he was drafted higher. But, lest I forget the so-called "swagger" shown on his twitter page, yeah because that's an excellent way to judge a quarterback.

Once again, as much as it may pain the Dungeon of Alex Smith Haters (or DASH for short, its a work in progress ), don't want to hear it Alex Smith is starting week one of the 2010 season. If at any point we need to put David Carr in for any extended period of time then we will be severely f**ked. Fact of life. And for those rooting against Alex if he fails as you DASHers are so assured will happen, he will be gone, and he will be taking Scot McCloughan with him, and Singletary for that matter as well.

That's it, its all come to a head, make a break for this whole regime including the quarterback they chose. The names of the major players will be the same Alex, Scot, and Mike (now played by Singletary, instead of the guy in the suit.) no matter how badly some of you may wish for a knight in shining armor, none is coming, either they succeed or we start over. So, to the DASHers out there, you might really want to start thinking about throwing your support behind "Alexia", McClueless, and Sing (does he have a insulting nickname yet?), because they are all we got.
offseason in niner talk......priceless for everything else there is mastercard

pretty even competition. could be interesting.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I really hope that Alex is the Qb going into this season. I trully believe that he is our best option at the position. That being said, I am pretty confident in saying that Carr is better than Alex from under center. That may be obvious I don't know, but we all know about Alex's struggles in that area. Carr on the other hand has been under center for his entire career if I'm not mistaken. If Alex struggles for any prolonged period of time maybe we should give Carr a shot. Again I would be very supprised if this happened especially with Alex in year two and Carr learning the offense from scratch.

mike sando in his espn nfc west blog posted alex's numbers under center and in the shotgun and they were slightly better under center...so your entire premise may be wrong
i luv this place
Great. Just what we need. More QB competition. After all, it worked out so well the past 2 seasons, why not do it again right? I really hope we just stick with one guy. I don't care what his name is...just stick with one guy. Let him get all the reps, establish timing trust and chemistry with our Recievers and win games.

To the Niner Brass, can we PLEASE stop all this fvcking non sense? We wasted two years pretending guys like JTO and Shaun Hill were going to be saviors for the sake of competition. All it did was divide 1st team reps. Now David Carr is the new underground niner hero?

Cool. Looks like another 8-8 season.
Share 49ersWebzone