LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 372 users in the forums

Alex Smith is smarter than Steve Young

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He is smart. If there is one fault he has it may be that he thinks too much on the field instead of reacting.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:
and what kind of 49er fan talks so much s**t about Young?

The kind with some sense.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by CRH49:
Of course he is. Alex Smith finished college in 3 years. He's a smart dude. And still young. He's improved every year he's started, can we say that about Steve Young? He wouldn't have won anything if it wasn't for Rice, Jones, and Waters.

Alex Smith has 4 Super Bowl Championship potential.

This, seriously Steve Young had to start off in the USFL

Alex Smith would not do that, only backups who lucked into the 49ers starting job because Montana was hurt do that.

Steve didn't "HAVE" to start in the USFL, every top pick that year went to the USFL for ridiculous amounts of MONEY! Just Google it! Anyone who was any good got mad cash to play in the new league, it was the USFL's plan to compete with the NFL by buying all the best players!

I went to open USFL try outs.... never got passed the first test... the 40! LOL, about 1500 dudes showed up, everyone got to a number (786) we waited all day in the sun at the Oakland Coliseum, and went in large groups to run the 40, I ran with 20 or so other dudes, none of us were invited to the next test! LOL I was 17 with a fake id!

dont make excuses for Steve "bench warmer" Young

I aint making Alexcuses for Steve he sucked!
lol, this would be helpful if the 49ers were competitive chess league.
too bad intelligence doesnt equal championships.
Why stop there? Alex Smith is smarter and better than Joe Montana. There. I said it. And I'm sticking to it.
Wonderlic Scores
Alex Smith 40
Steve Young 33

http://www.hogshaven.com/2009/2/17/762095/combine-the-wonderlic

Super Bowl here we come, this aint a game. Alex Smith is gonna be flipping defenses on their backs next year.

And to all of you haters out there, the numbers dont lie, wow i cant believe he scored that much higher than Steve Mothaf**kin Young.

They even both went to college in Utah, GO FIGURE

Wow if only they play the game in the classroom then we would have won 4 superbowls1
cool

Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
There is Book Smart and there is Street Smart. Book smart people seem to take a lot of time trying to figure things out when it comes to simple things. Street Smart people tend to just react according to their situation.

Seems to me, that's the problem with Alex Smith. Too much thinking and not enough reacting!

When you're up to your arse in alligators, which one would you take? I'll take Steve Young any day!

Oh, btw: Here are some more wonderlic scores of QB's that Alex Smith beat out.
Philip Rivers 38, Drew Brees 28, Tom Brady 33 and Peyton Manning 28.

So based on these, Alex Smith MUST be the better QB!

Obviously but would you take Steve when he was with Tampa and played like garbage because he was on a garbage team????

Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
too bad intelligence doesnt equal championships.

(It helps)but good/great teams do and the 49ers are getting better
Originally posted by Super5:
There is Book Smart and there is Street Smart. Book smart people seem to take a lot of time trying to figure things out when it comes to simple things. Street Smart people tend to just react according to their situation.

Seems to me, that's the problem with Alex Smith. Too much thinking and not enough reacting!

When you're up to your arse in alligators, which one would you take? I'll take Steve Young any day!

Obviously but would you take Steve when he was with Tampa and played like garbage because he was on a garbage team????

I don't know where you were at the time but Tampa Bay was the worse team around. I remember when John Mckay was hired for this new American League expansion team. And when they picked up Steve Young 9 years later, they were still a relatively new team.

A COLLEGE coach was hired to build a new NFL team instead of an experienced NFL coach. What did everyone expect?

If you're one of those that complains about Alex Smith NOT having a good offensive line around him, then consider being the QB on the WORSE team around.

Yes, worse than the current 49er's, worse than the Detroit Lions and WORSE than the New Orleans Saints during their losing years!

So when making comparisons, make sure you take everything into consideration.

In answer to your question: Yes, I would have taken Steve Young in a heartbeat and so would have other teams!

So now I have a question for you. If he was such a GARBAGE player, why did Bill Walsh pick him up? Obviously he knew something YOU don't!
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Jan 29, 2010 at 6:41 PM ]

well urban myer said alex will be a great qb when he learns the system he told us this it is 100%organizations fault because having a different coordinator every year is not learning under same system
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Steve Youngs overrated...The dud was terrible at reading blitzes, if it wasnt for Rice and TO he wouldve never had that great passer rating...He overthrew his receivers almost every other throw, hes just lucky he had Rice on the team..And a great coaching staff to go with a very good O Line...

Most overrated QB in NFL History: EASILY Steve YOung... Jeff Garcia > Steve Young, Garcia was a very accurate QB, and was good with his legs, another thing people overrated Young with..
Share 49ersWebzone