LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

P Willy Tackles-Does that mean the D sucks?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

P Willy Tackles-Does that mean the D sucks?

Im starting this thread because i heard something in this regard ever since we've had P Willy. And it's that whenever his numbers are high, people say thats actually a bad thing because it means that the defense isnt holding up.

I didnt see a thread like this anywhere and like i said, i thought if you have 100+ tackles it just means your a beast and making things happen. But i have heard the same last year from NFL coaches, players, and some analysts as i heard this year. That when your individual tackle numbers are soo high it's because the rest of the D isnt working as it should.

Is this true or false, just curious as to what everyone thinks.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Im starting this thread because i heard something in this regard ever since we've had P Willy. And it's that whenever his numbers are high, people say thats actually a bad thing because it means that the defense isnt holding up.

I didnt see a thread like this anywhere and like i said, i thought if you have 100+ tackles it just means your a beast and making things happen. But i have heard the same last year from NFL coaches, players, and some analysts as i heard this year. That when your individual tackle numbers are soo high it's because the rest of the D isnt working as it should.

Is this true or false, just curious as to what everyone thinks.

In theory, if a defense is posting high tackle totals, it's most reflective of both the offense's inability to sustain long drives and keep the defense off the field and the defense's ability to create stops.

In the 49ers case, the defense averaged 30:14 per game in 2009, ranking them 17th in the NFL. Offenses made 37% of all third down conversions in 2009, which ranks the team 10th in the NFL. Moreover, the 49ers gave up just 3.6 yards per rushing attempt in 2009, which was tied for second best in the NFL.

To summarize: Tackles are certainly important, though like most statistics, they don't tell the entire story.

Actualy that's a good thing when your LB leads your team in tackles. The D-line is doing it's job by not letting blockers get in the way of Willis.

It would be a bad thing if a DB was leading your team in tackles.
You're off. I've heard that if there are alot of tackles on D, that means the offense sucks.
Originally posted by Hitman49:

Actualy that's a good thing when your LB leads your team in tackles. The D-line is doing it's job by not letting blockers get in the way of Willis.

Derek Smith led our team in tackles for what 7 years before Patrick showed up. I remember the sentiment round here being that it wasnt a good thing.
It depends. Where did most of the tackles happen? In the secondary? Not good. For 3 yards or less. Good.
Originally posted by ruthless49er:

Derek Smith led our team in tackles for what 7 years before Patrick showed up. I remember the sentiment round here being that it wasnt a good thing.

True, that was because Derek Smith would have a lot of his tackles coming beyond 5 yards. Willis has the speed to run down a RB on the edge and also the speed to meet the RB in the hole.

Niners D knows this and the D is design for Willis to rome free and make the tackles. This is not happening but accident. it's by design.

[ Edited by Hitman49 on Jan 27, 2010 at 12:04 PM ]

True, that was because Derek Smith would have a lot of his tackles coming beyond 5 yards. Willis has the speed to run down a RB on the edge and also the speed to meet the RB in the hole.

Niners D knows this and the D is design for Willis to rome free and make the tackles. This is not happening but accident. it's by design.

Don't forget that the niners were dead last in time of possession. That means the D is always on the field. More tackles to be had.
Originally posted by kronik:
You're off. I've heard that if there are alot of tackles on D, that means the offense sucks.

Lol, now brotha how am i off and the reason i created this thread is to see what everyone else feels. and didnt you just say you heard as well. LOl too funny.

But seriously I asked because last year when P.Willy made it to the pro-bowl. On espn, and nfl network in the same sentence that said he was a beast, also said that it means the rest of the D arent holding their own, if he's having soo many tackles.

So once again, i dont know it all, so just asking what maybe some REAL SEASONED VETS, or intelligent new guys think.

Originally posted by kronik:

Don't forget that the niners were dead last in time of possession. That means the D is always on the field. More tackles to be had.

Ture more tackles to be had. But that doesnt mean the D wasn't doing it's job. Name me a good D where the LB wasn't leading in tackles. DL men never lead teams in tackles. their job is to hold the line and not get blown off.
[ Edited by Hitman49 on Jan 27, 2010 at 12:48 PM ]
Nah, P52 makes tackles bc he's the best LB in the league.
Well, no one voted "Yes" yet...

Willis having over 100 tackles every year isn't questionable. 100 tackles from a great LB is like the 1100 yard rushing mark for a RB, in my opinion.

Willis leading/almost leading the league in tackles every year IS questionable.
It depends on who is making the tackles. If your safeties are getting a ton of tackles then your defense is sucking because runners are getting to the second level and/or passes aren't being defended well. In a 3-4, the middle LB's are supposed to get most of the tackles. The DL plugs up gaps and OLB contain the outside, thus forcing runners to the middle of the field where guys like Willis roam.
Share 49ersWebzone