LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 212 users in the forums

Walt Harris...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Not much has been said about him since the season ending injury. But it's unlikely the niners will land Hayden , with needs at Rt, Kr, safety, and Guard. So if he return's it be a nothing more then a 1 year deal. With Walt, Spencer, Nate, Bly, Brown. That's some solid depth if he return's for one more year...

Niner nation what say you?
I think he said he was done last year. Don't quote me on that though. Even if I'm wrong, I highly doubt he'll be back.
I doubt he will be back as well. He is getting a little long in the tooth and he will be a FA soon.
i wanna pick up Joe Haden or Eric Berry
i would be happy for the year with either two.

Berry could also play corner
I think Walt Harris will be back and he'll add needed depth at CB. We already have 4 pretty good corners in Spencer, Clements, Brown, and Bly when healthy. Why not keep Harris around? The guy is a ballhawk and was IMO, the best cover corner we had before his injury. If he's recovered from his injury, add him to the mix. He could also backup at S. There's this idea that you need to be a big guy to be safety but I don't really buy it. You just have to have good ball skills and Harris does.
The guy deserves a better end to his career, but it just doesn't make sense to keep him around over Bly, Reggie Smith (age), or Hudson (ST value and age).
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by momoney925:
i wanna pick up Joe Haden or Eric Berry
i would be happy for the year with either two.

Berry could also play corner

They are both projected to go top 10...
I have seen plenty of Mocks where one of either Berry or Hayden makes it to our first pick. I would prefer a safety and resign Bly and Harris as back ups/ Nickle. But I certainly wouldnt scoff at Hayden.

Regardless its very likely we address the secondary in the second round unless one of the top ten level talents slips back.
I think we should move forward without Walt, he's been a pleasure to have on the team but dragging out his departure will only set back guys like Brown & Spencer. I'm sure we'll be drafting a corner or two, in that case it wouldn't make sense keeping him around.
Walt knows how hard it is to come back from an injury and how much harder it is at his age. I'm pretty sure he's done.

• Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
Walt knows how hard it is to come back from an injury and how much harder it is at his age. I'm pretty sure he's done.

Let's all show Walt some appreciation for his services. He did a great job for the 49ers and was worth the money spent.

• TJA85
  • Veteran
Originally posted by znk916:
The guy deserves a better end to his career, but it just doesn't make sense to keep him around over Bly, Reggie Smith (age), or Hudson (ST value and age).

Because

1. Bly wants to be a starter and might not want to sign with us again knowing he'll be there as a nickleback.
2. Harris is a much better CB than Smith and Hudson.
3. Harris will be cheaper to retain.
4. Harris provides much better depth than Keith Smith.
5. You can never have too many good CBs.
i thought i remember him saying he wasnt done playing...
Originally posted by TJA85:
Originally posted by znk916:

Because

1. Bly wants to be a starter and might not want to sign with us again knowing he'll be there as a nickleback.
2. Harris is a much better CB than Smith and Hudson.
3. Harris will be cheaper to retain.
4. Harris provides much better depth than Keith Smith.
5. You can never have too many good CBs.

6. He'll be 36 in August.. We need to develop younger talent at the cb position.
7. He's terrible in man coverage & he's not getting any faster.
8. There's no telling how many steps he's lost after sitting out an entire season.

Without a doubt we need to move forward.
I think he's done for. It's unfortunate. That's the way it goes.
Share 49ersWebzone