LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

49ers need a legit backup RB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Toby Gerhardt

Yeah.. because he can return punts and kicks.

& he can line up as a slot wr.

Oh and we need another power back to go along with the other two we already have.

Eh, new blood at RB is always a sexy topic, but I don't sense that the cupboard is bare.

Rathman is a fine RB position coach, even an OC candidate at some point. Rathman's specialty is teaching pass protection, both recognition and execution. This is one of Gore's under-appreciated traits on this board. This past season, Rathman coached-up Coffee on this skill, which he rarely was called-upon to use at Alabama. Robinson is solid in both pass protection and as a receiver out of the backfield.

I'm still very positive on Coffee as Gore's primary back-up, and one who can take on the stating load in another year or two, if need be. Coffee has both the inside and outside running skills, the willingness to be the "hammer", the hands to be a satisfactory receiver, and now the pass protection skills, thanks to Rathman. I have confidence in Rathman to continue Coffee's development. After all, Coffee was good enough to get the lion's share of the carries ahead of Heisman Trophy winner, Mark Ingram, at Alabama in 2008.

After watching tape of the new FB Caulcrick vs Notre Dame, I can definitely see this guy as a factor in competing for the starting FB job, being the designated short yardage back, and/or being a blocking TE, when one is needed.

I sense that Norris is close to being dome and while Brit Miller seems like a nice spot player on offense and a good ST'er, I don't see Miller as legitimate banger in the offensive structure.

Count me among those who want to see a 2-3 player investment in upgrading the OL and in upgrading OL position coach Foerster, as the highest offensive priorities for 2010.
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by aiiyiiyiii:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Kory Sheets.

Sheets > Spiller

/thread.

Hated losing Sheets. Hoping he's nowhere near as good as Spiller, but it's hard to tell since 49er brass didn't see their way clear to keeping Sheets.

I don't recall any highlight reel material by Sheets

Spiller is worth one of the two firsts, the other being a Big Ugly

Kory Sheets

I still dont think Sheets is better than Spiller. Granted, if Sheets would have been given a shot here, I dont think we are talking about Spiller so much. I think Spiller has a chance to be very similar to Chris Johnson.
Yes, Mrob is done!
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Kory Sheets.

Sheets > Spiller

/thread.

Hated losing Sheets. Hoping he's nowhere near as good as Spiller, but it's hard to tell since 49er brass didn't see their way clear to keeping Sheets.

Kory Sheets

I still dont think Sheets is better than Spiller. Granted, if Sheets would have been given a shot here, I dont think we are talking about Spiller so much. I think Spiller has a chance to be very similar to Chris Johnson.

Sheets to me looked like a great value going undrafted and you're right Spiller looks like the real deal. I'm hoping get Haden and Bulaga in the first round which is pretty much a pipe dream. I certainly wouldn't piss and moan if we ended up snagging Spiller though. If we get him I'd be more upset that Coffee would look more and more like a wasted draft pick.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Kory Sheets.

Sheets > Spiller

/thread.

Kory Sheets

Sheets to me looked like a great value going undrafted and you're right Spiller looks like the real deal. I'm hoping get Haden and Bulaga in the first round which is pretty much a pipe dream. I certainly wouldn't piss and moan if we ended up snagging Spiller though. If we get him I'd be more upset that Coffee would look more and more like a wasted draft pick.

Yeah I agree. I kinda thought Coffee was too similar to Gore when he was drafted anyway. He has the same kind of downhill running style, but his vision doesnt seem to be as good as Gore's. I dont think it would be bad to have Spiller and Coffee split time as the backup's. In running situations, Coffee could give Gore the break and in passing situations Spiller could be put all over the field.
Spiller does make sense, he's a great change of pace back. But also we can use him as the 5th WR and save a roster spot. SO RB/WR/KR/PR...sounds good to me!!
Who's that scrub we reached for in the 3rd round? lol
I agree we need a third RB, and he needs to have a very special ability: he needs to be able to leap and hurdle over the line of scrimmage for the 2 yards you need occasionaly - on third down or at the goal line.
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Who's that scrub we reached for in the 3rd round? lol

If the 9ers draft Spiller over a lineman, this place will erupt. How long have we been b*tching about the Oline?
he won't break alot of tackles but who's going to get a hand on him anyway. Yowza, look at that speed.
Originally posted by nj49erfan:
He's a homerun hitter. He's a RB/PR/KR. Can also put him in the slot if we want to stretch out the D. Arguably the most explosive offensive player in the draft. Seems almost too simple.

DRAFT CJ SPILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed,but the big question is:

WILL HE BE AVAILABLE WHEN THE 49ERS PICK WHICH WILL PROBABLY BE AT
#13?????
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
If the 9ers draft Spiller over a lineman, this place will erupt. How long have we been b*tching about the Oline?

OL is top priority but if this guy is available they can't pass him up like they did with D.Jackson.
After looking at Spiller's youtube highlights I'd have to say he looks more explosive than DJ who is obviously very explosive.

The 49ers do have 2 1st round picks(probably #13 and #16)and 8 overall so with that and FA,they should be able to fill their needs and then some.

Go Niners
give coffee sometime, he showed some good signs in the preseason...
Share 49ersWebzone