LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 241 users in the forums

Does Nate Davis get to compete this offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does Nate Davis get to compete this offseason?

Man, I miss the Icy Hot Stuntaz
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
most likely for the backup, 2nd QB.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Am I the only one who thinks Davis looks over-weight? Maybe its the rib protection thingy.

Looks ok to me

If alex is our guy next season than he needs all the reps, enough said. I do believe nate should be the primary back up. If smith fails to deliver than we should make the change.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by prime21:
From what Ive seen, Davis is a lil slower on the move than his counterpart Smith. Ive also noticed that Davis has a stronger pocket presence, standing his ground under pressure, stepping into his throws, etc. He'll be our starter by midseason 2010.

You know if it would get people to STFU about this stupid crap, I would be all for giving Davis QB1. Just give it to him.

But no bitc4in when he's no longer standing his ground. It a different game in the regular season.

It's sad that our ranks are so divided because of our season record over the last 8 years.

I'm sick and tired of all the damn knee jerk reactionaries shouting me down for "making excuses", nevermind how relevant those "excuses" are.

If your stupid opinon is more important than anyone elses you can have the Zone too. I'm tired of this garbage.

~Ceadder

Obviously your opinion is important to you. I know you know what opinions are, everybody has one, and they wont change anything that happens this offseason.

Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Am I the only one who thinks Davis looks over-weight? Maybe its the rib protection thingy.

Nah, most QB's are a little chubby. Steve Young even had a gut
Fine. Let him compete in the offseason. Let him start. I'd really like to see what Davis looks like starting game 1 in the regular season since there are so many pro-Davis people willing to beat anything that this guy is good. Based on what? Nothing.
Originally posted by prime21:
From what Ive seen, Davis is a lil slower on the move than his counterpart Smith. Ive also noticed that Davis has a stronger pocket presence, standing his ground under pressure, stepping into his throws, etc. He'll be our starter by midseason 2010.

Dam thats a bold prediction!
Well at least I'm happy that most agree not too let him compete.

Some of us do have a heart and want the kid to be brought thru the system the right way.

Let smith play the full season, and if he falters mid season, or at the end, then Davis would of sat for almost 2 years in the same offense.

Win /win in my opinion. Let him sit, just like Rodgers and learn the system, inside and out

If I was Sing I wouldnt rush Nate Davis, we have a situation here where Nate can sit another season and absorb the system and sharpen his skills, and I will bet he will be ready by year #4 and have the confidence to utilize his skills and be an effective NFL Qb ...Lets not rush the kid, he's still growing, even though he has shown some flashes of being a playmaker in pre season and appears tempting to play him, but throwing him into the fire will only do more harm then good.
Originally posted by taney71:
Fine. Let him compete in the offseason. Let him start. I'd really like to see what Davis looks like starting game 1 in the regular season since there are so many pro-Davis people willing to beat anything that this guy is good. Based on what? Nothing.

It's the Kory Sheets Effect
He needs to "compete" and not compete. Smith needs to be given the benefit of being the man. At the same time Davis needs to be given more reps than Hill with the first team. He needs to have every chance to learn the offense and to develop himself. We know exactly what we have in Shaun Hill. It would be nice to see Davis supplant him as the #2 this coming season. If Alex is hurt or duds then Davis has much more ability to stretch the field than Hill.
You know what. I understand it is the off-season, but I have never seen one player who played "good" in pre-season get so much hype. Granted, ProFootballtalk.com and Donovan McNabb like what they saw in him as well, but lets not go too crazy here folks.

This is my last year giving Smith a chance, and guess what? Its the 49ers last year too, because its Alex's contract year. So if he doesn't perform any better then he did this year (which he played pretty well), then I think its going to be Nate Davis vs 2011 Rookie QB in training camp that year. Give the guy time (Nate Davis) before we all claim him as the future.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Davis' pocket presence is better than Alex's.

Until you see him in a real game you can't tell.
Marcus Maxwell, Thomas Clayton, Glenn Coffee, Kory Sheets lokked like allpros in the preseason.

Our running game looked mean...
Share 49ersWebzone