There are 205 users in the forums

Attack on the Local Media

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by kem99:
Originally posted by tmg808:
Well as a fan, I love the 49ers, I keep up with who's on the team, my day is a little gloomier when they lose. I don't think I ever feel angry or tricked at the team with a close loss but I do feel let down. But being let down by something I love doesn't logically lead to anger..

While reading and hearing the media it often excites worse feelings towards the team. When I hear the local media on the radio and read there articles, the criticism coming from the local writers often seem a little harsh in comparison to what I felt right after the game. Usually any mistake made during the game will be published and highlighted no matter the effect it had on the final outcome of the game.

This being said I really feel the media leads the fans to feel bad about the 49ers and leads the players they question after every loss to feel thats the focus from everyone for there failures is there shortcomings. I am not making saying it controls but effecting the teams focus through the year. Wears on there own perception.

Football being a sport where teams ride the energy and you get a different team in the super bowl every year, I feel that the media probably plays a major part in consistent winners. When I look at Tom Brady and the Patriots, they are praised by there local media. When you look at Kobe Bryant and the Lakers you have writers like JA Adande that write great articles about the team and defends why they should be looked at the best team before mid season last year. Nobody writes about how bad Brady looked against the Giants in the Super bowl. Adande didn't focus on the struggles that Kobe and the Lakers had against the Celtics. What they did write about is why it wouldn't happen again, and reason why people shouldn't worry about those failures.

Then you look at the 49ers and a player in my eyes is doing no wrong, Patrick Willis. All I hear about from Patrick Willis is I wish he had a better game in Green Bay. Patrick Willis played at a level last week that was as dominate as any defensive performance I have seen in the league this year. Not one article written about it. The media treats every failure the 49ers have as a here we go again scenario. (That has to rub off on the players) The media doesn't treat Patrick Willis like he is something to build off of but rather that he suppose to do that.

This all being said I blame the media, I blame the media for the negative perception they put on the players and the fans of everything that goes wrong with the 49ers. I am not sure if this is because the York's do not take good care of the media like DeBartolo had, but in the media around here the glass is always half empty.

Wade Phillips got ripped this week and his team is 8-4.

Kobe and the Lakers were ripped by the LA media when they lost to the Celtics in the finals 2 years ago and until last year there were constant questions about whether Kobe could win a title without Shaq.

There hasn't really been much to criticize Brady and the Pats about. Belichek certainly took his share on the 4th down call against the Colts.

There were critics in the media even during the 49er's run from 1981 to 1998 and somehow those teams managed to carry on and do well.

Its not the media's job to prop up the players. Its their job to report what happens and why. What do you want them to do...write that its okay the team had to call a time out before the first play? Or. that it was a good call to try the reverse on the punt return when they had control of the game early?

Willis had a good game on Sunday but not a dominant one. He didn't have a sack. He didn't force a turnover. Yes, he had 16 tackles but ultimately those types of performances get lost when the team loses a game it had to win and does so to a team it should be able to beat.

I am not asking the media for sympathy but why is the new Coach treated like he had losing years 7 years in a row?? This is his first season, he failed to make the playoff's but had an opportunity to until week 14?? When was the last time you could say that??? 7 years ago. I am not asking to praise him for that, but I am saying we don't have to put him up on a stake either.

Forced fumbles aren't something you just do, it happens if there isn't ball security. There wasn't sack because he was in coverage the whole game, which he shut down the middle, Carlson didn't have any big catches. He did everything he could with the job he was given and he did everything at a high level. Every stop he made was near the line of scrimmage, He was dominate.
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
The publics perception of the team is created by the team on game days. If the team wants positive media support they should win more.

Even if it isn't positive it doesn't have to be bashing.. I've heard about the timeouts in the first half last week from every writer and person on the radio, but not one of them brought out how wasting the timeouts directly effected something that did happen that caused them to lose

Even Bill Walsh was raked over the coals for his mistakes, why shouldn't the current team be held to the same standards?

Everyone is talking about Bill Walsh in 1987 but nobody is talking about Bill Walsh in 1979 or 1980. In 1987 he had championship players on his team but not in 1979, so yeah that can be considered fair in 1987 but does anyone believe that the 49ers personnel is as good as it was in 1987? Then you can't say that Singletary deserves the same judgement
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
This all being said I blame the media, I blame the media for the negative perception they put on the players and the fans of everything that goes wrong with the 49ers. I am not sure if this is because the York's do not take good care of the media like DeBartolo had, but in the media around here the glass is always half empty.

Actually the glass is not half empty; it’s about 1/4 full. By any objective measure, the 49ers are one of the worst teams in the league, and have been since 2003. This is not the result of bad press. It’s the result of bad drafting, bad coaching, and bad management. No amount of good media coverage and positive thinking can overcome that. The favorable media coverage in New England did not create a winning team. The winning team created favorable coverage. Success comes before praise.
Originally posted by bjghum:
The bay area media is very soft. In other parts of the country this team would be getting ripped all day all night.

On Ralph and Tom I felt good when they ripped Mike Nolan, it was like Nolan's arrogance preventing him from adapting, but the same exact treatment was passed down to Mike Singletary, it wasn't like Sing was handed a gem and ruined it.

And by other parts, like where the Jets are, or maybe the Mets, Or the Knicks, wait when was the last time any of these teams won a championship??

Sing has a long way to go as a head coach. And yes he wasn't handed a gem.
Doesn't matter though. This team has been drafting in the top part of the draft since 2005. The Yorks have spent $ on free agents. Sing stands up there and tells us how special this team is. Then we go out and lose to teams like the titans and hawks. IMO that's crap.

Trust me, Sing is lucky he's coaching in the Bay Area.
Well as a fan, I love the 49ers, I keep up with who's on the team, my day is a little gloomier when they lose. I don't think I ever feel angry or tricked at the team with a close loss but I do feel let down. But being let down by something I love doesn't logically lead to anger..

While reading and hearing the media it often excites worse feelings towards the team. When I hear the local media on the radio and read there articles, the criticism coming from the local writers often seem a little harsh in comparison to what I felt right after the game. Usually any mistake made during the game will be published and highlighted no matter the effect it had on the final outcome of the game.

This being said I really feel the media leads the fans to feel bad about the 49ers and leads the players they question after every loss to feel thats the focus from everyone for there failures is there shortcomings. I am not making saying it controls but effecting the teams focus through the year. Wears on there own perception.

Football being a sport where teams ride the energy and you get a different team in the super bowl every year, I feel that the media probably plays a major part in consistent winners. When I look at Tom Brady and the Patriots, they are praised by there local media. When you look at Kobe Bryant and the Lakers you have writers like JA Adande that write great articles about the team and defends why they should be looked at the best team before mid season last year. Nobody writes about how bad Brady looked against the Giants in the Super bowl. Adande didn't focus on the struggles that Kobe and the Lakers had against the Celtics. What they did write about is why it wouldn't happen again, and reason why people shouldn't worry about those failures.

Then you look at the 49ers and a player in my eyes is doing no wrong, Patrick Willis. All I hear about from Patrick Willis is I wish he had a better game in Green Bay. Patrick Willis played at a level last week that was as dominate as any defensive performance I have seen in the league this year. Not one article written about it. The media treats every failure the 49ers have as a here we go again scenario. (That has to rub off on the players) The media doesn't treat Patrick Willis like he is something to build off of but rather that he suppose to do that.

This team is half empty. There is no leadership. There is nobody competent within the organization. There is no reason to put a positive spin on anything. These clowns in charge couldn't make a decent hire if their life depended on it.... It's their own fault for being so damn dumb.

Anyway, if you want smoke blown up your posterior, listen to Fitz and Brooks in the afternoons on KNBR. Two complete ass kissing shills. They do a disservice to all of us true 49er fans.

Fix the problems and we won't have to worry about the media being correct.
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A
The bay area media is very soft. In other parts of the country this team would be getting ripped all day all night.

On Ralph and Tom I felt good when they ripped Mike Nolan, it was like Nolan's arrogance preventing him from adapting, but the same exact treatment was passed down to Mike Singletary, it wasn't like Sing was handed a gem and ruined it.

And by other parts, like where the Jets are, or maybe the Mets, Or the Knicks, wait when was the last time any of these teams won a championship??

Doesn't matter though. This team has been drafting in the top part of the draft since 2005. The Yorks have spent $ on free agents. Sing stands up there and tells us how special this team is. Then we go out and lose to teams like the titans and hawks. IMO that's crap.

Sing Started coaching in 2008 so why are all of your facts built on 49ers past??? 49ers aren't getting better?? The 49ers could be 8-4 with 3 plays( 1 play per game) and 11-1 If they outplayed the other team in the last 5 minutes of the game.. All that being said none of that is good. cause its could of would of should of But its better than what I was watching last year with Nolan and the Year before... So I can not say I agree with you about them not getting better
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by posterX:

This team is half empty. There is no leadership. There is nobody competent within the organization. There is no reason to put a positive spin on anything. These clowns in charge couldn't make a decent hire if their life depended on it.... It's their own fault for being so damn dumb.

Anyway, if you want smoke blown up your posterior, listen to Fitz and Brooks in the afternoons on KNBR. Two complete ass kissing shills. They do a disservice to all of us true 49er fans.

Fix the problems and we won't have to worry about the media being correct.

I agree with you Fitz and Brooks suck, but they don't even seem like they know about football so how could that be positive in anyway

Sing Started coaching in 2008 so why are all of your facts built on 49ers past??? 49ers aren't getting better?? The 49ers could be 8-4 with 3 plays( 1 play per game) and 11-1 If they outplayed the other team in the last 5 minutes of the game.. All that being said none of that is good. cause its could of would of should of But its better than what I was watching last year with Nolan and the Year before... So I can not say I agree with you about them not getting better

Meh, the team isn't much better imo. Fact is we won't make the playoffs and we will more than likely finish with another losing record.

We can agree to disagree.
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A
NO ONE HAS BROUGHT ANY POSITIVE EVIDENCE OF WHY I SHOULD BELIEVE ANY DIFFERENT ABOUT THE MEDIA.. ALL I HEAR IS AN ANGRY MOB THAT IS SUPPORTING SOMETHING WITHOUT EVIDENCE. DOES EVERYONE THINK SINGLETARY IS AN IDIOT?? WOULD HE BE AN IDIOT IF HE WON LAST WEEK?
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kem99:

Wade Phillips got ripped this week and his team is 8-4.

Kobe and the Lakers were ripped by the LA media when they lost to the Celtics in the finals 2 years ago and until last year there were constant questions about whether Kobe could win a title without Shaq.

There hasn't really been much to criticize Brady and the Pats about. Belichek certainly took his share on the 4th down call against the Colts.

There were critics in the media even during the 49er's run from 1981 to 1998 and somehow those teams managed to carry on and do well.

Its not the media's job to prop up the players. Its their job to report what happens and why. What do you want them to do...write that its okay the team had to call a time out before the first play? Or. that it was a good call to try the reverse on the punt return when they had control of the game early?

Willis had a good game on Sunday but not a dominant one. He didn't have a sack. He didn't force a turnover. Yes, he had 16 tackles but ultimately those types of performances get lost when the team loses a game it had to win and does so to a team it should be able to beat.

I am not asking the media for sympathy but why is the new Coach treated like he had losing years 7 years in a row?? This is his first season, he failed to make the playoff's but had an opportunity to until week 14?? When was the last time you could say that??? 7 years ago. I am not asking to praise him for that, but I am saying we don't have to put him up on a stake either.

Forced fumbles aren't something you just do, it happens if there isn't ball security. There wasn't sack because he was in coverage the whole game, which he shut down the middle, Carlson didn't have any big catches. He did everything he could with the job he was given and he did everything at a high level. Every stop he made was near the line of scrimmage, He was dominate.

I don't hear anyone calling for Singletary's head so he's not being treated like he's lost 7 years in a row. In fact, just yesterday, Kevin Lynch said on KNBR that Singletary has handled Alex Smith brilliantly in rebuilding his confidence, getting his career back on track, etc. He even said this is still early in Singletary's head coaching career and he probably won't make any of the same mistakes he has made this year in 2010. With that said, he's really being treated like any coach in the NFL that doesn't win, especially after starting 3-1 and stating multiple times that this year was going to be a "special year."

In terms of Willis, a dominant performance includes a game changing plays, whether its turnovers, sacks, or whatever. Again, I'm not saying Willis didn't play well or at a high level but it wasn't as dominant as any performance in the league this year as you claim. He played well...and it gets lost because the team lost its most important game of the year and is now effectively out of the playoffs for the 7th straight year. But, nonetheless, I looked up what MM said about Willis in his blog looking at the performances of all 53 players. You should take a look at it. He notes Willis playing well, making 16 tackles, etc. so how again is the media ignoring him?

• tmg808
  • Info N/A

Meh, the team isn't much better imo. Fact is we won't make the playoffs and we will more than likely finish with another losing record.

We can agree to disagree.

I am comfortable with your disagreement.. but some easy stats to prove otherwise

Singletary's losses of more than 1 score in his first 21 games = 3 (3/21) (Two right after taking over for Nolan)

Mike Nolan's losses of more than 1 score in his last 21 games = 13 (13/21)

You Tell me which team is given out more effort???

[ Edited by tmg808 on Dec 10, 2009 at 16:36:43 ]
NO ONE HAS BROUGHT ANY POSITIVE EVIDENCE OF WHY I SHOULD BELIEVE ANY DIFFERENT ABOUT THE MEDIA.. ALL I HEAR IS AN ANGRY MOB THAT IS SUPPORTING SOMETHING WITHOUT EVIDENCE. DOES EVERYONE THINK SINGLETARY IS AN IDIOT?? WOULD HE BE AN IDIOT IF HE WON LAST WEEK?

I don't think anyone thinks Sing is an idiot.

You've got a coach who isn't an X's and O's guy. He gets up there and says things like "this team is special" "just watch, this team is going to come of age right before your eyes"

That kind of stuff gets old quick man. Hey, I'm rooting for the guy.

Really though, the local media has not been that hard on him.
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A

You've got a coach who isn't an X's and O's guy. He gets up there and says things like "this team is special" "just watch, this team is going to come of age right before your eyes"

Bill Walsh and Bill Belichick are great X's and O's coaches, but they do it there way. But there are other people who are winning. Bill Cowher wasn't seen as a great X and O's coach but he motivated. Tony Dungy didn't controll every aspect on his team but he guided. I think Singletary is learning to be a motivator and to guide his coaches. He may not be there yet, at least where he wants to be, but he is right there. As long as he remembers who he is and improves that I think he will lead this team into the right direction
what I really think we are missing is a radio show with people who really follow the team and like to see the team succeed.

the radio shows I hear are the ones on KNBR (I live in costa rica, so I download the podcast and hear them on y computer) and all the shows and especially The razor and MrT, speak about the team and its players like they are a bunch of nobody's that dont deserve to be 49ers, which is good to some degree (be critical about the team), the problem is that the fans who prefer to see more of a half full mentality and that are more optimistic about the team don't have a radio show for them....

I always check the teams internet homepage we are playing for each week and see there videos and interviews for the upcoming game and in most cases they always have a radio show that it is host by someone close to the team and they talk about 30 to 40 minutes about all the insides of the team... I think we are really missing that as fans..

I for example did not watch the game live this past week and when I got into the web zone and read all the articles I thought Mike did a terrible job and that our offense was awfuller, I thought everything was terrible, then I watch the game and found some positives in that game nobody was talking about...

its really sad we don't have a radio show that we can count on to give a insight to the team and that has a positive and optimistic approach to the team...

my 2 cents..

go niners
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A

Singletary knows what it takes to win this game, as a player he was undersized, overlooked, and didn't have the tools of the best athletes. He knows there isn't anything special he can teach them that will take them over the top. He said it in his interview the other day, It takes focus on every play. He is making his players accountable, he is direct with them, every player that has had a better season this year has commented on how they appreciated that. The mistakes he has acknowledged he sees on the field and from his response it seems like something he had discussed before he approached the media. This team has carried a lot of leaking wholes from prior years and this year they are being exposed and addressed. I hear nothing but positives from the players, he must be doing it right if everyone is on board.
Share 49ersWebzone