There are 255 users in the forums

VD atop the NFL in dropped passes and Crabs right behind him(UPDATED)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by BigRon:
Someone needs to update the list.

You don't want to see the update... Trust me.

But, Here it is...

Rank Player Team Stats
1 Vernon Davis SF 10
2t Brent Celek Phi 9
2t Louis Murphy Oak 9
2t Terrell Owens Buf 9
2t Bobby Wade KC 9
6t Ted Ginn Jr. Mia 8
6t Tim Hightower Ari 8
6t Santonio Holmes Pit 8
6t Calvin Johnson Det 8
10t Donnie Avery StL 7
10t Dwayne Bowe KC 7
10t Mark Bradley KC 7
10t Dallas Clark Ind 7
10t Marques Colston NO 7
10t Michael Crabtree SF 7
10t Michael Jenkins Atl 7
10t Andre Johnson Hou 7
10t Mario Manningham NYG 7
10t Mohamed Massaquoi Cle 7
10t Randy McMichael StL 7
10t Randy Moss NE 7
10t Chansi Stuckey Cle 7
Worth noting, of the top 5 QBs in the league by rating; Brees, Peyton, Favre, Rivers and Rodgers, only Colston and Clark appear on this list.

Clark has 82 receptions and 7 drops.

Colston has 56 receptions and 7 drops.

Davis has 66 and 10.

Crabtree has 37 and 7

None of the top 5 QBs have any of their receivers on the above list. So while it could be argued there is a chicken/egg relationship, that argument would be specious in that it is not considered a drop unless it hits them in the hands. Therefore it is obvious that one of the critical components in judging a QB, as well as assessing a team's success or failure offensively is; whether or not their receivers catch the darn ball.

*stating the obvious*
Thanks for the update.
I can not defend drops but I have to wonder how many of those drops are receivers attempting to catch a pass while diving, or high in the air while being tackled. Are Miracle Catch fails considered a drop? I think they are. I wish there was a stat for those passes that should have been caught but weren't and one for those catches that might have been caught but weren't.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
If it helps, he's actually tied for first.

-9fA

Not anymore!

-9fA
Originally posted by dj43:

But, Here it is...

Rank Player Team Stats
1 Vernon Davis SF 10
2t Brent Celek Phi 9
2t Louis Murphy Oak 9
2t Terrell Owens Buf 9
2t Bobby Wade KC 9
6t Ted Ginn Jr. Mia 8
6t Tim Hightower Ari 8
6t Santonio Holmes Pit 8
6t Calvin Johnson Det 8
10t Donnie Avery StL 7
10t Dwayne Bowe KC 7
10t Mark Bradley KC 7
10t Dallas Clark Ind 7
10t Marques Colston NO 7
10t Andre Johnson Hou 7
10t Randy Moss NE 7
10t Chansi Stuckey Cle 7
Worth noting, of the top 5 QBs in the league by rating; Brees, Peyton, Favre, Rivers and Rodgers, only Colston and Clark appear on this list.

Davis has 66 and 10.

Crabtree has 37 and 7

None of the top 5 QBs have any of their receivers on the above list. So while it could be argued there is a chicken/egg relationship, that argument would be specious in that it is not considered a drop unless it hits them in the hands. Therefore it is obvious that one of the critical components in judging a QB, as well as assessing a team's success or failure offensively is; whether or not their receivers catch the darn ball.

*stating the obvious*

I'm not trying to defend our QB here (cause I think he is part of the reason VD and Crabs are so high on the list); but, only 2 of the bottom 5 QB's have any of their receivers on the list as well (Oakland's J. Russell and Detroit's M. Stafford)
Thanks for the update.
I can not defend drops but I have to wonder how many of those drops are receivers attempting to catch a pass while diving, or high in the air while being tackled. Are Miracle Catch fails considered a drop? I think they are. I wish there was a stat for those passes that should have been caught but weren't and one for those catches that might have been caught but weren't.

The only miracle catch Davis has ever made are the ones that hit him in the chest . Smith is not that accurate but Davis deserves to be #1 on that list. He's a great player but he still needs a lot of work on those hands just to become an averare receiver.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Thanks for the update.

The only miracle catch Davis has ever made are the ones that hit him in the chest . Smith is not that accurate but Davis deserves to be #1 on that list. He's a great player but he still needs a lot of work on those hands just to become an averare receiver.

Smith isn't that accurate? He's over 60% comp. percentage and would be in the upper 60s if not for receiver drops. I understand him needing to lead receivers etc and that he is sometimes off on short throws but jesus...to say he's not accurate doesn't seem to stand up well with the facts.
  • dj43

But, Here it is...

Rank Player Team Stats
1 Vernon Davis SF 10
2t Brent Celek Phi 9
2t Louis Murphy Oak 9
2t Terrell Owens Buf 9
2t Bobby Wade KC 9
6t Ted Ginn Jr. Mia 8
6t Tim Hightower Ari 8
6t Santonio Holmes Pit 8
6t Calvin Johnson Det 8
10t Donnie Avery StL 7
10t Dwayne Bowe KC 7
10t Mark Bradley KC 7
10t Dallas Clark Ind 7
10t Marques Colston NO 7
10t Andre Johnson Hou 7
10t Randy Moss NE 7
10t Chansi Stuckey Cle 7

Davis has 66 and 10.

Crabtree has 37 and 7

*stating the obvious*

I'm not trying to defend our QB here (cause I think he is part of the reason VD and Crabs are so high on the list); but, only 2 of the bottom 5 QB's have any of their receivers on the list as well (Oakland's J. Russell and Detroit's M. Stafford)
I don't recall where I heard it but the NFL has a stat person who looks at "drops" and makes a decision if it was "reasonable" to make the catch by NFL standards. The standard of "reasonable" throws out "miracle" and "amazing" catch attempts.

I think we can all agree most of Davis' drops have come on balls that clearly should have been receptions. Crabtree's have been a bit tougher but still 3 or 4 that I recall that definitely should have been caught. He will get better. Davis won't. Just gotta live with it.

But, Here it is...

Rank Player Team Stats
1 Vernon Davis SF 10
2t Brent Celek Phi 9
2t Louis Murphy Oak 9
2t Terrell Owens Buf 9
2t Bobby Wade KC 9
6t Ted Ginn Jr. Mia 8
6t Tim Hightower Ari 8
6t Santonio Holmes Pit 8
6t Calvin Johnson Det 8
10t Donnie Avery StL 7
10t Dwayne Bowe KC 7
10t Mark Bradley KC 7
10t Dallas Clark Ind 7
10t Marques Colston NO 7
10t Andre Johnson Hou 7
10t Randy Moss NE 7
10t Chansi Stuckey Cle 7

Davis has 66 and 10.

Crabtree has 37 and 7

*stating the obvious*

I don't recall where I heard it but the NFL has a stat person who looks at "drops" and makes a decision if it was "reasonable" to make the catch by NFL standards. The standard of "reasonable" throws out "miracle" and "amazing" catch attempts.

I think we can all agree most of Davis' drops have come on balls that clearly should have been receptions. Crabtree's have been a bit tougher but still 3 or 4 that I recall that definitely should have been caught. He will get better. Davis won't. Just gotta live with it.

I wonder if Davis has some eye issues. Depth perception is most acute when an object is coming right at you. For Davis he drops a bunch of easy ones right in his hands.
Thanks for the update.

Great point. Vernon is asked to make a lot of difficult up the seam catches with a defender behind him and a saftey waiting to take his head off. There have definitly been some type of drops, but he is also about to break the TD record for tight ends. The only drop that really bothered me is the one at the end of the Seattle game.
Originally posted by taney71:

But, Here it is...

Rank Player Team Stats
1 Vernon Davis SF 10
2t Brent Celek Phi 9
2t Louis Murphy Oak 9
2t Terrell Owens Buf 9
2t Bobby Wade KC 9
6t Ted Ginn Jr. Mia 8
6t Tim Hightower Ari 8
6t Santonio Holmes Pit 8
6t Calvin Johnson Det 8
10t Donnie Avery StL 7
10t Dwayne Bowe KC 7
10t Mark Bradley KC 7
10t Dallas Clark Ind 7
10t Marques Colston NO 7
10t Andre Johnson Hou 7
10t Randy Moss NE 7
10t Chansi Stuckey Cle 7

Davis has 66 and 10.

Crabtree has 37 and 7

*stating the obvious*

I wonder if Davis has some eye issues. Depth perception is most acute when an object is coming right at you. For Davis he drops a bunch of easy ones right in his hands.

Could be. I know that's what killed me when I played. One eye I need a prescription in but the other I don't. Normal everyday life this is not a big deal cause it's only a small difference. But catching a pass over my left shoulder while running at full speed is a different story.

But, Here it is...

Rank Player Team Stats
1 Vernon Davis SF 10
2t Brent Celek Phi 9
2t Louis Murphy Oak 9
2t Terrell Owens Buf 9
2t Bobby Wade KC 9
6t Ted Ginn Jr. Mia 8
6t Tim Hightower Ari 8
6t Santonio Holmes Pit 8
6t Calvin Johnson Det 8
10t Donnie Avery StL 7
10t Dwayne Bowe KC 7
10t Mark Bradley KC 7
10t Dallas Clark Ind 7
10t Marques Colston NO 7
10t Andre Johnson Hou 7
10t Randy Moss NE 7
10t Chansi Stuckey Cle 7

Davis has 66 and 10.

Crabtree has 37 and 7

*stating the obvious*

Could be. I know that's what killed me when I played. One eye I need a prescription in but the other I don't. Normal everyday life this is not a big deal cause it's only a small difference. But catching a pass over my left shoulder while running at full speed is a different story.

Davis is more of a muscular guy than a big guy. He built his body in the gym.

I tend to think that overly muscular guys tend to have less dexterity, because they have a harder time controlling that strength as well as less flexibility.

Then again, Shannon Sharp is another guy who built himself up in the gym, and he had great body control; but Davis is certainly bulkier than Sharp ever was.

Overall, Davis still seems to play like a raw athlete who plays football, rather than a football player with athleticism.
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A

But, Here it is...

Rank Player Team Stats
1 Vernon Davis SF 10
2t Brent Celek Phi 9
2t Louis Murphy Oak 9
2t Terrell Owens Buf 9
2t Bobby Wade KC 9
6t Ted Ginn Jr. Mia 8
6t Tim Hightower Ari 8
6t Santonio Holmes Pit 8
6t Calvin Johnson Det 8
10t Donnie Avery StL 7
10t Dwayne Bowe KC 7
10t Mark Bradley KC 7
10t Dallas Clark Ind 7
10t Marques Colston NO 7
10t Andre Johnson Hou 7
10t Randy Moss NE 7
10t Chansi Stuckey Cle 7

Davis has 66 and 10.

Crabtree has 37 and 7

*stating the obvious*

Dropping the easy ones is a sign of a lack of concentration and focus. False start penalties are also a sign of a lack of concentration and focus. I think VD is trying to hard to make plays and be the best that sometimes he forgets to take care of the little things.

I love his effort though, and I love how he bounces back from drops to make big plays.
Thanks for the update.

something like this?

NFL Leaders: Passes Not Caught

Rank Player Team Stats
1 Roddy White Atl 66
2 Andre Johnson Hou 64
3t Calvin Johnson Det 57
3t Steve Smith Car 57
5 Mohamed Massaquoi Cle 55
6 Randy Moss NE 51
7 Louis Murphy Oak 50
8 Derrick Mason Bal 49
9t T.J. Houshmandzadeh Sea 47
9t Chad Ochocinco Cin 47
11t Santonio Holmes Pit 46
11t Brandon Marshall Den 46
13t Larry Fitzgerald Ari 45
13t Pierre Garcon Ind 45
13t Torry Holt Jac 45
13t Terrell Owens Buf 45
17t Donnie Avery StL 44
17t Lee Evans Buf 44
17t Steve Smith NYG 44
20t Vernon Davis SF 42
20t Bryant Johnson Det 42
20t Roy Williams Dal 42
I love VD but he does still have that to improve on. But he is also vulnerable flying over the middle, anyone remember the Pittsburgh game in 07'? Ouch! TE's take a beating. And as for Crabs, he is a rookie, and the only terrible drop he had was in the endzone against the Jags. With improved timing and an off season with Smith these kinks will get worked out.
Wow chansi stucky is terrible. What are his stats on the season? I thought he's played in only a couple games
Share 49ersWebzone