LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 281 users in the forums

Coordinator Thread...and rest of staff

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Quote:
bydavidwhite David White

No way he leaves a head coaching job for a QB position, even if it's CFL. It was OC or nothing. @Jcool0 Marc Trestman as QB coach?
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Originally posted by aman49:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by aman49:
My friend's gf is the niece of Tim Drevno. This is the "insider info" I was just emailed.

"Got the scoop. Tim is going to the niners as the OL Coach. That likely means Greg Roman is the official OC. Harbaugh is going to call offensive plays himself but Roman and Drevno share running plays scheming and calls."

Does that mean Solari is out.

The weird thing is literally two minutes after I got that email, Jason LaCanfora said on NFL Network that we would probably keep Mike Solari. We can't both be right, but LaCanfora hasn't been right about us lately... we'll see... I trust my source.

Well, LaCanfora was reporting Harbaugh was going to Michigan,then the Dolphins, then he was gonna stay at Stanford, and finally the 49ers.

Well I was right on the first part... let's see what happens with Drevno
Roman worked w/ David Carr in houston.

might help for some continuitiy.

I think Carr was very mis-used last year........he showed signs of improvement w/ the Giants. He might be the vet we keep in addition to our drafted players who knows
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Roman worked w/ David Carr in houston.

might help for some continuitiy.

I think Carr was very mis-used last year........he showed signs of improvement w/ the Giants. He might be the vet we keep in addition to our drafted players who knows

f**k david carr, that fool shouldnt see the field for us ever. not even preseason
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 49ersrock75:
Fangio has yet to accept any job offer.

I bet he wants more money.

That was my exact thoughts.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

I wouldn't over pay for him, his body of work is not that impressive.
  • JDog
  • Veteran

Could be pulling a Harbaugh and waiting for Ross to fly out and offer him more money (aka; stay at Stanford)....

yeah but I think this time its more about "the fit" than anything else

he and jim have a comfort level than Jim seem to like, yesterday I read Jim doesn't want to be very hand on with the defense, so he need someone he can trust and that has experience on that side of the ball..

I think we should definitely hire him now!!!!

Really, Sus? Really?

Dude, what have you been reading? Just the overall stats of his defenses as DC for the Texans, the Colts and Panthers?

Here. Let me enlighten you... Take a look at the linky about the Saints LB core during the late 80s to 90s. That's Fangio. Don't tell me that's not impressive.

Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Fangio is Harbaugh's top target to replace Manusky. He has 24 years of NFL experience and has been a defensive coordinator - with three different teams - for 11 of them. He and Green Bay defensive coordinator Dom Capers began their professional coaching careers together and both use a similar style. They prefer a 3-4 scheme and like to blitz from unconventional angles.

"He likes to move (the linebackers) around and keep the offense on its toes," said Stanford linebacker Shayne Skov, who attended today's press conference at Stanford. "That's something I definitely did a lot of this year. He definitely likes bringing varied looks."

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/01/current-49ers-a.html#ixzz1Aye2M71c

I haz such a happi!!!!!

This D is going to be fun to watch. I am really and truly eager to see who Baalke brings in as our next pass rusher. Not only that, we have some great options for a possible duo of CBs in this draft. Add the fact that Fua from Stanford knows Fangio's D already and could seriously be our 2-gap NT after our Strength and Conditioning Coach has him for a season.

I can't contain my excitement after reading so many different articles about his "style" of D. Consistently, he pressured the QB and with less talented players. Can you imagine what he can do with some of the pieces we have? Then add FA, when it comes. Then the draft. Heck, I bet Baalke would be willing to trade some key pieces of this team for valuable pieces that "fit" the new identity.

I'm eager to see how it plays out. Heck, he's not on the team yet.

I'm with you Tico! Don't be surprised if LaBoy now resigns (b/c of Fangio) and Brooks becomes a starter as well. Combined they had 10 sacks (5 each) in very limited snaps and Brooks only trailed Clements & Willis/Smith for Tackles for Losses which is a good indication of setting the edge and blowing up RB's in the backfield before they can get started (great play recognition and then playing off your blocker and making the play). He also had an INT (should have had at least 3).

And this is what I've been saying for years...we needs OLB's who can get after the QB AND set the edge on every single down to maintain the element of surprise. LaBoy & Brooks also switched WILL and SAM positions often on those 3rd downs. Fangio also would move his best pass rushers inside to the the MIKE or TED positions to attack any weaknesses on the interior of the o-line (ala Matthews in GB).

If nothing else, this will be a very exciting defense to watch and the X's and O's (chess match) will be visible again. I can't wait to see a real 3-4 with this team and players being utilized correctly! Finally our LBers, all four, will be free to attack and make plays for this team.

Yea, I remember what Fangio did with Capers down in Carolina with Mills, Lathon and Greene. OMG, did those three alone reek havoc, all the switching they did. Didn't Fangio also coach these Saints' LBs:
Holy Moly!!! Didn't Know it was Fangio.

Seriously, I am more excited than ever after seeing that clip. Those guys gave our WCO teams serious fits. They were so quick and deceptive. You just didn't know when or where the pressure was going to come from. Wills=Mills. I know Fangio is going to love Bowman's speed and tenaciousness. Now he will have Brooks who has improved especially setting the edge like you say. LaBoy is a stop gap, but very usable until he gets injured again.

We need that young stud at WILL, like Ricky Jackson (oops, I think it was Swilling playing WILL). Heck, he was a part of our last SB team I believe. I don't care how Baalke does it. Trade, FA or draft, but he will. I can see Goocong coming here and he's a UFA. Woodley right now is RFA, but the CBA can change that. Heck, even Robert Quinn is a viable option at #7 in the draft.

This year, we may actually see consistent pressure on the QB. Wouldn't that be something?

Nah nah!

• mayo49
  • Veteran
When the heck is Fangio going to sign?
I wish we would go back to a 4-3
Originally posted by mayo49:

He's deciding between Dallas and the 49ers..
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by mayo49:

He's deciding between Dallas and the 49ers..

I thought Fangio and Harbaugh were real close? Maybe it was Roman who is.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 14, 2011 at 11:50 AM ]
Now I am curious to see who Harbaugh hires as his QB's coach. Mike McCoy was on the staff with Roman in Carolina and also was there when Harbaugh had a cup of coffee with the Panthers. IMO, he would be a great hire but he is a candidate to get the OC job in Kansas City. I think Solari stays as O-line coach and Rathman is almost a lock to stay at RB's coach. For the WR coaching job. I hope we look at Ray Sherman or George Stewart but I have a feeling Harbaugh will go a younger, no name type coach.
Share 49ersWebzone