LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Alex with an offseason as the starter

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think the bigger issue is how can this OFFENSE improve with a full offseason with the SAME OC. The offense has been bad for 7 season and the common denominator has been new OCs. Yea, talent was bad, but is has improved a lot since 04 and we need to see how or if these players can grow under the same OC.
I think if we address the issues with the line it really won't matter if we have an all star QB, Smith, or noodle arm at QB. With a good line most any QB could get the ball to the real playmakers (Gore, Davis, Crabs, etc.) and the offense would be respectable, and good enough to win games with the help of the defense.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Let's just get one thing straight. Can we stop with the, Alex hasn't played for so many years or Alex just needs time with the new weapons...

It is his 5th year.

Shaun Hill rode the bench for 5 years so should we say he needs two years as a starter to get his arm back into it? No one said that!

Alex is improving his stats, which is good but it all comes down to wins. He needs to show something NOW because his contract is not very long and our front office and coaches will need to make a decision this offseason to committ to this kid who has only one year left and hasn't shown much or to instal Nate Davis into the plans or to draft a new one.

Alex doesn't have much time so he better produce wins fast because he's playing against some crappy teams...crappy teams...remember that was the reason why Shaun Hill has a winning percentage. Well, it's Alex's turn so let us see if he can do what Hill did after 5 years of sitting. However, Alex has an advantage, he only sat out 2 years.

Brotha cool, i new ur smith hatin ass was out there. Nah, just messin wit ya brotha. I look at it like this, the main problem with our fans, is they want to include, and exclude certain details to meet their mindset. And thats all fine and good, but i do love it when those that know football, that work for the game, play the game, commentate on the game, and handle most interviews, INCLUDE all the facts that even you yourself admit too.

I mean he played after rattay, started full season, went 2-1 (now from 06-07, damn his best season, like any rookie, then started 2-1. Ok now from there injured almost 2 years.

My issue Cool is why are you still talkin bout Hill brotha. U were one of many drinkin the HIll coolaid from last season till now, and i have looked for a few HIll fans on game days like crzy, brotha Afrik, PRIMET, and a few others. And maybe not you, but they only come out, when there's a missed pass, overthrow, or etc. when it's something good, very minimal.

Even i remember when Hill was first pulled, on the real we couldnt even find you for a few days. lol.

I just say, This thread is Alex, offseason, starter. Maybe we can keep it on that subject, cuz Hill is no more:)

And the worst case is Smith comes back next year, and he and Davis battle, that is only if he struggles in the remainding games. I mean s**t dont ya'll finally wanna see continuity. Or do most of you just cant let go of your personal bias, and follow the team regardless if you like all the personnel decisions or not.

In that case, he had almost two offseasons getting starter reps. Maybe the competition made him not a starter, sort of, and in that case, this will be his first off season as starter.

At the end of the day, his offseason as a starter will mean little if he doesn't win against these inferior teams coming up.

I think this topic is only relevant if he wins this season. If he doesn't, then believe me, Alex Smith and 49ers starting QB will NEVER be said together.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Really, is this the new excuse for him? With an offseason, he would still STINK........ We need a QB

Yea but I like this excuse though. It makes sense to me.

Is everyone forgetting that Alex DID have an offseason with these guys??? Remember that there was an open competition where both Alex and Shaun got half the reps??? It lasted until the 3d exhibition game!!!

Just another excuse to stay on zombie-eyes' nuts!

So half the snaps through 3 preseason games = an entire offseason as starter now?

Wow! Where have you been?? Smith has been throwing with the first team offense since minicamps back in March!!

I had do dig through the archives to prove your ignorant, smith-loving, ass wrong, but I think this was the first time they met on the field!

49ers' Hill, Smith begin friendly QB rivalry

It doesn't surprise me that you are so ignorant and blinded by this kid that still cant get it right. It is pretty common amongst all his supporters! They yell and scream to give him 'another fair chance', yet they ignore the fact that he has been in the league FOR A LONG TIME NOW, injured or not, and doesn't deserve to 'get a chance' til he turns 40!

What is ignorant is to ignore the fact that we have to spend next years draft picks on offensive line or it won't matter who the quarterback is. You can keep on with the like you think you know what you are talking about, but if you think just plugging in another QB behind the same lame ass line that we have had for the past 6-7 years is going to change anything except the name of the QB you are disappointed in, you are the one being ignorant. Whether or not you like it Smith is likely going to be the starter for awhile yet, so deal with it and quit whining. No one is happy with the teams QB play, but Hill was even worse, and when the defense couldn't stop the other team from scoring, it started mattering. By the way calling other people names because you don't agree with their views means you lack a valid argument to counter with, it also makes you look like immature, it will get you a warning as well.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Really, is this the new excuse for him? With an offseason, he would still STINK........ We need a QB

Is everyone forgetting that Alex DID have an offseason with these guys??? Remember that there was an open competition where both Alex and Shaun got half the reps??? It lasted until the 3d exhibition game!!!

So half the snaps through 3 preseason games = an entire offseason as starter now?

Wow! Where have you been?? Smith has been throwing with the first team offense since minicamps back in March!!

I had do dig through the archives to prove your ignorant, smith-loving, ass wrong, but I think this was the first time they met on the field!

It doesn't surprise me that you are so ignorant and blinded by this kid that still cant get it right. It is pretty common amongst all his supporters! They yell and scream to give him 'another fair chance', yet they ignore the fact that he has been in the league FOR A LONG TIME NOW, injured or not, and doesn't deserve to 'get a chance' til he turns 40!

What is ignorant is to ignore the fact that we have to spend next years draft picks on offensive line or it won't matter who the quarterback is. You can keep on with the like you think you know what you are talking about, but if you think just plugging in another QB behind the same lame ass line that we have had for the past 6-7 years is going to change anything except the name of the QB you are disappointed in, you are the one being ignorant. Whether or not you like it Smith is likely going to be the starter for awhile yet, so deal with it and quit whining. No one is happy with the teams QB play, but Hill was even worse, and when the defense couldn't stop the other team from scoring, it started mattering. By the way calling other people names because you don't agree with their views means you lack a valid argument to counter with, it also makes you look like immature, it will get you a warning as well.

Look who is yapping now?? At what point did I say anything about the O-Line?? Everyone who watches the 49ers (and their mom) knows that our O-Line sucks and is close to being one of the worst in the league! No argument there. I don't think Smith has "IT" regardless of what the O-line does and how long he stays in the NFL and I would LOVE to have him prove me wrong. He makes bad decisions and falters under the pressure easily.

I speak my mind just as you speak yours! If I get "warned" for my comments, that is my problem, not yours. No worries here!
It would be nice to see some continuity on offense. If Alex proves it over the rest of these games that will be great.
7 games......7 more games

Look who is yapping now?? At what point did I say anything about the O-Line?? Everyone who watches the 49ers (and their mom) knows that our O-Line sucks and is close to being one of the worst in the league! No argument there. I don't think Smith has "IT" regardless of what the O-line does and how long he stays in the NFL and I would LOVE to have him prove me wrong. He makes bad decisions and falters under the pressure easily.

I speak my mind just as you speak yours! If I get "warned" for my comments, that is my problem, not yours. No worries here!

The fact that you didn't mention the offensive line is why I did. If it isn't taken care of, there is no point in drafting another QB, because he will struggle just as bad if not worse than the guys we already have. This "it" you guys always try to talk about is...what? Is there really an "it" or is it just something you don't know what to call by its proper name? Bottom line is that there are other areas of the team that need more attention than quarterback, Smith will finish the year out and probably be here next year as well. We have to spend the first round picks on Eric Berry is we can get him and then the best OT we can get. If we draft a QB, which one would you want? I haven't seen one playing this year that looks like he would be a good pro.

The fact that you didn't mention the offensive line is why I did. If it isn't taken care of, there is no point in drafting another QB, because he will struggle just as bad if not worse than the guys we already have. This "it" you guys always try to talk about is...what? Is there really an "it" or is it just something you don't know what to call by its proper name? Bottom line is that there are other areas of the team that need more attention than quarterback, Smith will finish the year out and probably be here next year as well. We have to spend the first round picks on Eric Berry is we can get him and then the best OT we can get. If we draft a QB, which one would you want? I haven't seen one playing this year that looks like he would be a good pro.

^^^This man is correct. Throw any quarterback in you want and he will fail unless this o-line situation is addressed properly. I personally am of the opinion that we need more than one solid o-lineman. We need at least a couple. Replace Snyder, let Rachal sit, and let Baas battle it out with an incumbent, if Baas is even around. Heitman and Staley imo are the only linemen who have their jobs locked up. Then and only then can we properly and objectively evaluate the quarterback situation. People on here who blame Smith for the team's problems really need to wake up. If Smith has all day to throw and Gore can run with some effectiveness and Smith still f**ks up, then that's that.

[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Nov 16, 2009 at 7:41 PM ]
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

^^^This man is correct. Throw any quarterback in you want and he will fail unless this o-line situation is addressed properly. I personally am of the opinion that we need more than one solid o-lineman. We need at least a couple. Replace Snyder, let Rachal sit, and let Baas battle it out with an incumbent, if Baas is even around. Heitman and Staley imo are the only linemen who have their jobs locked up. Then and only then can we properly and objectively evaluate the quarterback situation. People on here who blame Smith for the team's problems really need to wake up. If Smith has all day to throw and Gore can run with some effectiveness and Smith still f**ks up, then that's that.

If that happened I would be the first to say bench his ass. I don't think that would be the case, if Smith had time to throw then he would be effective.

Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

If that happened I would be the first to say bench his ass. I don't think that would be the case, if Smith had time to throw then he would be effective.

Same here.
One thing Matt brought up about why Davis isn't near ready to start is that he doesn't get any reps with the team. And the back up runs the scout team. So is the ugly offense we're seeing a result of Alex not getting any reps or not having any chemistry with guys? And if that's the case then why did he look so good in the second half against Houston?

I'm not making excuses and I'm not arguing anything. It's just something Maiocco pointed out that got me thinking maybe we're underestimating how important continuity is to an offense when you keep having to change your personnel. Either way, I'm hoping that lack of continuity is the reason why Raye is trying "to figure out what the players can do" and why the offense has been bad the last couple games.
My ideal outcome to this season would obviously be that we make the playoffs. But in all reality, I would like the see Alex Smith continue to improve through the rest of this season. Throw more TDs than INTS, win atleast 4 of our remaining games, and keep his completion percentage up (currently 64.8%).

For once, can we go into an off-season knowing who is going to be our starting QB? NO MORE QB COMPETITIONS! Give one QB all of the reps in the off-season. Let him build a rapport with the players on his team. Let them know, "This is our guy." We will not get any better until this offense has some continuity. In my opinion, another change at QB is not the answer.
Originally posted by teeohh:
One thing Matt brought up about why Davis isn't near ready to start is that he doesn't get any reps with the team. And the back up runs the scout team. So is the ugly offense we're seeing a result of Alex not getting any reps or not having any chemistry with guys? And if that's the case then why did he look so good in the second half against Houston?

I'm not making excuses and I'm not arguing anything. It's just something Maiocco pointed out that got me thinking maybe we're underestimating how important continuity is to an offense when you keep having to change your personnel. Either way, I'm hoping that lack of continuity is the reason why Raye is trying "to figure out what the players can do" and why the offense has been bad the last couple games.

There are many that do not get how important it is to a team to have continuity. Steve Young said the same thing the other night talking about Smith, and how the lack of continuity is the problem.
How about an offseason without him? Honestly, I don't know what you people see in this guy that makes you think he will ever be a winner.
Share 49ersWebzone