LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Alex with an offseason as the starter

Shop Find 49ers gear online
People act like while Smith was out for two years with severe injuries requiring surgeries that he was out there practicing everyday while sitting and watching on gameday.

While injured.. he couldn't throw. Because.. He was injured.. . He was on IR.. So he couldn't practice.

On IR, he was only able to be at the home games. Half a season of "watching" on the sidelines on gameday.

On IR, he certainly did all he could as far as going to team meetings, etc. but here are two things to consider with that:

1) Wouldn't you think those meetings would be even less effective or relevant now considering they were from a different prior system?

2) You can only get so much from those meetings to begin with.

I've not seen enough from Smith this year to be disappointed, nor have I seen enough to be impressed yet, overall. Any QB each game is going to have some plays we like as well as dislike. Through three starts, 3.5 games in all, I've seen more that I like than dislike, but with 7 games (at least) remaining in the season I'm not at all ready to say Smith can't get it done. I believe he can.

He's our best option, and I think this team would be best served continuing to build up the offense around him.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 17, 2009 at 8:56 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Really, is this the new excuse for him? With an offseason, he would still STINK........ We need a QB

Yea but I like this excuse though. It makes sense to me.

Is everyone forgetting that Alex DID have an offseason with these guys??? Remember that there was an open competition where both Alex and Shaun got half the reps??? It lasted until the 3d exhibition game!!!

Just another excuse to stay on zombie-eyes' nuts!

So half the snaps through 3 preseason games = an entire offseason as starter now?

Wow! Where have you been?? Smith has been throwing with the first team offense since minicamps back in March!!

I had do dig through the archives to prove your ignorant, smith-loving, ass wrong, but I think this was the first time they met on the field!

49ers' Hill, Smith begin friendly QB rivalry

It doesn't surprise me that you are so ignorant and blinded by this kid that still cant get it right. It is pretty common amongst all his supporters! They yell and scream to give him 'another fair chance', yet they ignore the fact that he has been in the league FOR A LONG TIME NOW, injured or not, and doesn't deserve to 'get a chance' til he turns 40!

dumbass he is saying that if he got 100% of the snaps and alex has not had a fair chance at Qb every1 knows that escept 06 where he wasnt that bad cinsidereing the talent

Wow!

Try to read your sentence before calling me a dumbass! Then we can discuss anything you want!

What is even more surprising is that the damn spell check is obvious in RED UNDERLINE!!

Originally posted by ZRF80:
Really, is this the new excuse for him? With an offseason, he would still STINK........ We need a QB

Is everyone forgetting that Alex DID have an offseason with these guys??? Remember that there was an open competition where both Alex and Shaun got half the reps??? It lasted until the 3d exhibition game!!!

Blind sheep, my friend. Even with an entire offseason under the same system, next year's excuse would be:

A) it's Raye's playcalling
B) he's only 26 years old
C) he needs two probowl receivers like Ariozna, then we can truly assess him.

Exactly! It never ends with these guys and that is what pisses me off the most! The average NFL career is 3.5 years and this guy is going on 6, yet he still needs "more time" to develop. s**t! How much time and why should we invest more in him??

They want everyone around him to be at a pro-bowl level in order to even assess or judge him! Nobody deserves that! You should be assessed based on what YOU can do as a player, regardless of your supporting cast. The O-line sucks, but they don't suck and get pressure on him on every play!
I've tried to give Smith the benefit of the doubt, esp since he got such an unfair intro to the NFL, but there are some undeniable facts that the Smith apologists refuse to acknowledge. After all these years, he still has some glaring problems that seem only minimally improved only:
He continues to stare down receivers.
He often fails to see open receivers or throws to them too late.
His accuracy is still inconsistent.
Those last 2, even when he has adequate time.
His pocket presence is lacking.
And, most importantly of all, he seems to lack that "instinct" or "it factor" that all top-tier QB's have. This alone would prevent him from getting to that elite level.
Even aside from the injuries, he's had plenty of time to work on those things that are correctable. He's a cerebral Qb whose strength is playing by the book, but not necessarily off the cuff. These next 7 games should tell us a bit more, and for his sake, I hope it's positive.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by JoeO321:
I think that the sky is the limit if Alex actually got a whole offseason to work as the starter. Working with Crabtree, Morgan, and Vernon everyday over the summer could boost this franchise. Developing a better rythm with Crabtree could be all we need for Alex to finally reach his enormous potential.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I will always support Alex and i agree the pocket presence is just not what you would expect at this point, however i want to see how the rest of the season plays out.
But, I can't help to wonder if the play calling is not doing him any favors either... just wondering.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I've tried to give Smith the benefit of the doubt, esp since he got such an unfair intro to the NFL, but there are some undeniable facts that the Smith apologists refuse to acknowledge. After all these years, he still has some glaring problems that seem only minimally improved only:
He continues to stare down receivers.
He often fails to see open receivers or throws to them too late.
His accuracy is still inconsistent.
Those last 2, even when he has adequate time.
His pocket presence is lacking.
And, most importantly of all, he seems to lack that "instinct" or "it factor" that all top-tier QB's have. This alone would prevent him from getting to that elite level.
Even aside from the injuries, he's had plenty of time to work on those things that are correctable. He's a cerebral Qb whose strength is playing by the book, but not necessarily off the cuff. These next 7 games should tell us a bit more, and for his sake, I hope it's positive.

He continues to stare down receivers – this has dramatically improved. Isolated incidence rather then regular occurrence as has been the case historically.

He often fails to see open receivers or throws to them too late – this is more of a timing issue. It is not uncommon for a good QB to have timing issues. If this does not improve by the end of the season then we can say that this is a real problem.

His accuracy is still inconsistent – I am not sure just what your problem is here. This is the one area that I would say has really improved (not great yet but major improvement) He has had many throws that have been perfect. His completion percentage has greatly increased. This is the main area that I think Alex has improved.

Those last 2, even when he has adequate time – time is a luxury that our Oline has not given Alex. He has done a decent (not great) job of buying more time with his legs (something that Hill really struggled with).

His pocket presence is lacking – This is an area that I agree has been lacking. While greatly improved from a couple of years ago, he has had moments where he looks comfortable while other times he appears lost and skittish.

And, most importantly of all, he seems to lack that "instinct" or "it factor" that all top-tier QB's have – I think that this is something that I have seen a great improvement on. He is not at a Bret Farve or Peyton Manning level yet, but I have seen improvement. His teammates seem to be rallying around him and I think that he has grown up a lot. Question is has it been enough. Does he have enough leadership to put the team on his back and make great things happen? That is something that time will only tell. It is so hard to judge a QB after only a couple of starts. By the end of the season we will have a better idea of what he really has.

Even aside from the injuries, he's had plenty of time to work on those things that are correctable – I disagree here completely. If he was a true #1 pick (pro ready out of the gate) I would agree. I don’t think that he was worthy of a #1 pick and therefore is in need of time to progress. Additionally, his progression was hampered by management. That said, we can’t wait around hoping he will develop. He must produce by years end or we need to move on.

He's a cerebral Qb whose strength is playing by the book, but not necessarily off the cuff. These next 7 games should tell us a bit more, and for his sake, I hope it's positive – I agree with you here 100%. These next games will give us a better picture of what we have in Alex. I personally think it is useless to bash him and hate on him at this point. In a couple of months if he does not produce/drastically improve, then the bashing will be more justified. Right now it is all speculation based upon ones perception.
I would like to see Alex with one coordinator for more than one offseason, but that's not gonna happen.

I'm a big Smith supporter but he has to show that he can win and play better more often than not to be brought back next year.

If he stinks it up, then there's no point in bringing him back next year. I've committed to him to show me all that he can for the remainder of the season. Only then, will a proper decision be able to be made.

-9fA
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
Even aside from the injuries, he's had plenty of time to work on those things that are correctable – I disagree here completely. If he was a true #1 pick (pro ready out of the gate) I would agree. I don’t think that he was worthy of a #1 pick and therefore is in need of time to progress. Additionally, his progression was hampered by management. That said, we can’t wait around hoping he will develop. He must produce by years end or we need to move on.

Something I noticed in the Smith vs. Rodgers blog posts, Alex pretty much suggested that he should not be starting from day one. In a pre-draft visit, he said:

"That definitely depends on how well I'm doing coming into camp, how well the other quarterbacks are playing, how well I'm picking up the system. So it's tough to say. I feel like I can step in right away and if all goes well, play early. But that's tough to say right now. We'll see when we get into minicamps and summer throwing the ball and then into the real camp and playing in some preseason games. That will show for sure.''

That suggests to me that he would have been happier sitting on the bench for a while before getting thrown into the starting line up. I wonder how he would have done if he had time to sit and watch for a full year. . . .
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:

Something I noticed in the Smith vs. Rodgers blog posts, Alex pretty much suggested that he should not be starting from day one. In a pre-draft visit, he said:

"That definitely depends on how well I'm doing coming into camp, how well the other quarterbacks are playing, how well I'm picking up the system. So it's tough to say. I feel like I can step in right away and if all goes well, play early. But that's tough to say right now. We'll see when we get into minicamps and summer throwing the ball and then into the real camp and playing in some preseason games. That will show for sure.''

That suggests to me that he would have been happier sitting on the bench for a while before getting thrown into the starting line up. I wonder how he would have done if he had time to sit and watch for a full year. . . .

To me, he's saying that if he is not comfortable and settled, then he shouldn't start.

-9fA

Atleast we dont look like the Browns

Blind sheep, my friend. Even with an entire offseason under the same system, next year's excuse would be:

Exactly! It never ends with these guys and that is what pisses me off the most! The average NFL career is 3.5 years and this guy is going on 6, yet he still needs "more time" to develop. s**t! How much time and why should we invest more in him??

They want everyone around him to be at a pro-bowl level in order to even assess or judge him! Nobody deserves that! You should be assessed based on what YOU can do as a player, regardless of your supporting cast. The O-line sucks, but they don't suck and get pressure on him on every play!
And the Alex Smith Excuse-Parade is on!

Sorry, guys. The time for "potential" and "excuses" is long gone. I don't care if he'd been injured for 2 years, is on his 5th OCs in 5 years, and was just unfrozen and reanimated to life. What has he done on the field? If he doesn't produce on the field, he's still a bust. Yes...STILL a bust b/c he's never proven himself to be anything else.

Flashes of great improvement, a half game full of great throws, some fine decisions, decent grit and leadership, just a few plays away from some wins, you say? Wake up people! We saw the same things from him years ago when he was healthy. Flashes and then crashes.

So far, the only things that have changed about Smith are the excuses for his consistent underachievement. All new excuses this year--Raye's awful offense, yet another OC, not the starter in the offseason, no chemistry with the WRs, blah, blah, blah. Just new excuses, but we get the same results from the Qb position we got before he was hurt. Just good enough to tease the fans and then lose the game.

He's got 7 games left to prove he's a starter in the NFL. I hope he does, but don't hold your breath.
I think we have no choice but to go with Alex next year because I'd be pissed if they draft another young QB.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
I think we have no choice but to go with Alex next year because I'd be pissed if they draft another young QB.

He will be starting here next year, we aren't going to draft a qb high in the draft before the offensive line is squared away. These guys saying Smith hasn't improved don't know jack, it is obvious he has made some progress. Some of these guys would have us turning over the position ever year and become the next Lions. You cannot build continuity constantly changing OC's/QB's etc...
Originally posted by DownSouth:

And the Alex Smith Excuse-Parade is on!

Sorry, guys. The time for "potential" and "excuses" is long gone. I don't care if he'd been injured for 2 years, is on his 5th OCs in 5 years, and was just unfrozen and reanimated to life. What has he done on the field? If he doesn't produce on the field, he's still a bust. Yes...STILL a bust b/c he's never proven himself to be anything else.

Flashes of great improvement, a half game full of great throws, some fine decisions, decent grit and leadership, just a few plays away from some wins, you say? Wake up people! We saw the same things from him years ago when he was healthy. Flashes and then crashes.

So far, the only things that have changed about Smith are the excuses for his consistent underachievement. All new excuses this year--Raye's awful offense, yet another OC, not the starter in the offseason, no chemistry with the WRs, blah, blah, blah. Just new excuses, but we get the same results from the Qb position we got before he was hurt. Just good enough to tease the fans and then lose the game.

He's got 7 games left to prove he's a starter in the NFL. I hope he does, but don't hold your breath.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is a realist about this guy!
Share 49ersWebzone