Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by fzrdave:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Originally posted by JoeO321:
I think that the sky is the limit if Alex actually got a whole offseason to work as the starter. Working with Crabtree, Morgan, and Vernon everyday over the summer could boost this franchise. Developing a better rythm with Crabtree could be all we need for Alex to finally reach his enormous potential.

It is hard for me to believe that people still think Alex Smith is going to turn into a good quarterback. I know he has had all the O coordinators, injuries etc...But cmon'
man. When have you ever said "Wow, Alex Smith had a GREAT GAME". He might look good on a two min drive, or look good for a half, but he is not the answer.

Did you say the same thing about Vernon Davis a couple years ago? Just curious.

A lot of people said that VD was not the answer. They also said that Bear Pascoe was the answer. Look how that turned out. Those same people also said that Hill was the answer. Again look how that turned out

......and is Smith the answer??

Well there you have it.

I think you need to shake it again because the answer should be "ask again later"

Yup, or “Cannot predict now.”

BTW, "No Way" is not one of the twenty Magic 8 Ball standard answers.

Smith haters can't even get that right and they want everyone else to believe they are right about Smith being a bust.

I say they are busts.
Originally posted by excelsior:
I say Alex IS the answer for two important reasons:

1. He is not a Jay Cutler type, which is good. He will be less likely to lose games with high risk foolishness, and many games are won by NOT LOSING them!
2. Dumping him means you will have to find a replacement. So, how do you do that? I am asking those who think answers are easy. Look at the ratings of the top two QBs drafted this year - Stafford and Sanchez - not very impressive, are they? Then look at some of the former FAs that some of you lusted after - Anderson, Cassell - not very good either.

It is not easy to come up with an exceptional QB in this league, and even he needs help from a solid OC, a good OL and good WRs.

Um.....He threw four picks against the Titans 2 weeks ago. I am pretty sure he lost the game.
  • B650
  • Veteran

1. He is not a Jay Cutler type, which is good. He will be less likely to lose games with high risk foolishness, and many games are won by NOT LOSING them!
2. Dumping him means you will have to find a replacement. So, how do you do that? I am asking those who think answers are easy. Look at the ratings of the top two QBs drafted this year - Stafford and Sanchez - not very impressive, are they? Then look at some of the former FAs that some of you lusted after - Anderson, Cassell - not very good either.

It is not easy to come up with an exceptional QB in this league, and even he needs help from a solid OC, a good OL and good WRs.

Um.....He threw four picks against the Titans 2 weeks ago. I am pretty sure he lost the game.

Actually, he threw 3 picks against the Titans. Try again.

It still helped the 49ers to lose the game though
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

It still helped the 49ers to lose the game though

Yeah it did. That was the one game that was on Smith, but everyone around him could've done a better job as well. For example, Morgan needs to attack the ball and stop tipping it up for grabs.

Your right. He threw 3 picks. But he also had 2 fumbles, 1 which was lost. It still = 4 turnovers, which = a loss.
This is a pointless argument since Singletary has indicated that they're gonna go with Smith for the rest of the way. I don't like it. I still think Hill is the better choice -- but who cares what I think. The decision has been made.

At this point then: there are two possible scenarios:

1. That godd@mned light finally snaps on in Alex's cranium and he leads us to some decent -- no -- great -- wins and leads us into the postseason. I think every Niner fan -- Alex fan or not -- would love to see this happen.

2. Alex is still Alex. He keeps making critical mistakes. He keeps staring down receivers. He continues to fumble at inopportune times. He keeps throwing to the other jersey. In this case -- if the team stumbles to 4-10 or even 4-9 -- I think we'll get a glimpse of Nate Davis.

I'm going with Option #2. The light already snapped on. Alex is what Alex is and nothing more.

What a beast.
Share 49ersWebzone