There are 205 users in the forums

Steve Young on Smith and what it takes to survive in the NFL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Digger25:
I'm on my phone and the mobile webzone doesn't have search. sorry if this was posted already.

Okay, Young was asked by Mr. Amici's about Smith's performance last week. Young made no excuses. he basically said, "when I played, to me, when the ball leaves my hand, I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS. WHETHER THE WR CATCHES IT, WHETHER ITS PICKED OR DROPPED, IT IS MY RESPONSIBILITY."

he also said that a coach could make excuses for his QB, but ultimately, it is up to the QB to work out the problems himself and in front of 80 thousand people. he said QB's who can handle that burden and work out the INT's and the issues with the offense are the QB's who become good and even great.

he never eluded or even showed support for Smith. just kinda p***yfooted around the question and said "it will be an important week for Smith".

and lastly, he said that he likes watching QB's at press conferences-win or lose. bcause in these interviews, he looks to see if the QB will NOT make excuses for bad things an show confidence that HE will lead/command and win.

to me, Smith always seems bummed out and not too confident. maybe he doesn't have what Young says QB's need (outside physical ability) to succed. I am backing Smith, but what Yong says sems to make me question Smith.

And this is the difference between TODAY's 49ers and the great 49ers of the past. I don't hear Smith on the field when there isn't practice throwing extra balls to Crabtree or Hill. I don't hear of the offensive players being there late at night studying film, throwing as much as possible, taking ownership and refusing to make a mistake because they weren't prepared. Analyzing their own weaknesses and working to change them. If Alex is "late" he needs to work on that. If he "locks on all the way" he needs to work on that by trying to establish as much as possible a rapport with his receivers.

No more excuses. It's time to be a winner.

Good post. Totally agreed, which is why it surprised me because I had just read this on Maiocco's twitter yesterday:

# Alex Smith and Michael Crabtree got in a little extra work together on field after practice today. 1:10 PM Nov 11th from txt

I hope that practice transitions to the actual game!

Frick yea it will!!!

Crabtree's gets his first TD and this will be his best game yet!

Still, the one thing I would have loved Alex to do after the game especially on Monday is tell Coach, this is on me, period. I am the leader, those balls were picked, it is my fault...accountability.

He need the Favre complex...throw 5 picks, but come back to throw 6 TDs! Let it go, get pumped back up, and make plays. He needs more of that fire that we have seen, from start to finish...there's that word again!!!

FINISH!!!!!

Go Niners!!!!!
Steve Young was a great QB for sure , I liked how he talked some smack on Alex Smith . So does Young put it on his shoulders all those games he chocked it up when we lost against the Packers????
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
Steve Young was a great QB for sure , I liked how he talked some smack on Alex Smith . So does Young put it on his shoulders all those games he chocked it up when we lost against the Packers????

And the Cowboys and the ......... Young became a great Qb , but apparently no one else is allowed the same luxury
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
I'm behind Alex as a fan. But the time is now. I agree with Martz on this-

Martz: "He has to win. And he has to be the reason why you win a big game. The really good players in the league, the guys that have won for a long time and win championships, they step up. When things are at their worst, he's got to be at his best."

Seems reasonable to expect that from your QB, also from your Head Coach all the way down
Steve Young became a great QB so he has the right to talk s**t on the 49ers QB's if he feels like it. It isn't Tim Couch talking s**t here guys. You have to prove to be great to be able to talk s**t, and he earned it.

Ask the Dolphins if they'd rather Marino won one Super Bowl and had some s**tty years instead of being awesome all the time and not winning anything.

I don't think he's bashing Alex, he's calling him out in a motivational way for Alex to put his motivation/confidence at a maximum level to finally BE THE GUY.

Amongst all things though I will say that Alex looks more confident now than I've ever seen him before; specially during interviews, and command of the huddle. -Old Alex was like a shy duck in front of the microphones, and everytime he would throw an INT he'd put his head down like a sad little boy... well he isn't doing this s**t anymore.

-He's clearly mastered the hard-count/offensive formation/huddle commands, now he just needs to grow chemistry with the offense in the passing game (but the offense also needs to grow chemistry with him).
Originally posted by 9ermj:

And the Cowboys and the ......... Young became a great Qb , but apparently no one else is allowed the same luxury

I thought Steve Young had incredible heart, and he became a very good QB who could at times be great, but he didn't start out that way. I also always thought he had a strong tendency to choke in the big games unless the cards were completely stacked in his favor. But that doesn't make what he's saying about Alex Smith untrue. Smith has a long ways to go to prove himself; hopefully tonight will be a major step in that direction.
Share 49ersWebzone