LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 384 users in the forums

Steve Young on Smith and what it takes to survive in the NFL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Young's from a different era...and I appreciate his comments. Also gotta remember the teams he played on...most were great or very close to it. He had top OL's, WR's, TE's, RB's the whole nine yards. Alex hasn't had that...the talent he has around him now is by far the best of his career...and it's still nowhere close to what Steve Young had. He's right...tonight's game is a big one, to see how Alex rebounds and handles himself and the team.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
That funny. At every press conference Smith is usually the first to take the blame and point out things he did wrong. I appreciate Youngs input but to suggest Smith is an excuse maker is ridiculous. He must be thinking of JaMarcus.

Steve never said that(about not taking blame) about Alex. Just to clear that up.

Steve also said that he came out fast with the 2 TDs against Houston played well in the second game against the Colts and has fallen into the timeframe when the Opposing Coordinators have film on him and will throw completely different looks at him like Tennessee did.

If that's not sticking up for Smith, I don't know what is. But in the end he did make the statement that it's on Alex by making "me and I" statements.

~Ceadder
Mike Martz on Alex....from Matt Barrows' Blog.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/11/martz-still-not.html?mi_rss=49ers%20Blog%20and%20Q%26A
Quote:
Host Rich Eisen: What do you think is the aspect of Alex's game that's missing?

Martz: "He has to win. And he has to be the reason why you win a big game. The really good players in the league, the guys that have won for a long time and win championships, they step up. When things are at their worst, he's got to be at his best."
  • Mex49
When steve young stops lying about his fake ass hair, or what ever that is, maybe ill listen

and did me mention that he was surrounded by champions.

with out them he was not surviving.
Originally posted by Mex49:
When steve young stops lying about his fake ass hair, or what ever that is, maybe ill listen

and did me mention that he was surrounded by champions.

with out them he was not surviving.

The teams he was on were almost perfect. He had Jerry freakin Rice. He had a good TE. Other good WR's. And outstanding O LINE with tons of time. Great defenses backing him and holding the other team down. He had excellent coaches and one of the best owners.

Compare that to Alex. I'd say it's pretty much the flip opposite.

Young in the prime of his career if he were on this modern day team would get killed. He'd have broken up shoulders too and no deep playoff runs trust me.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Look at the catches New Orleans makes for Brees. Look at the tape. He throws plenty of throws high, low, early, late and all over the place. His WR's and TE go up and get it. When the ball is in the air IT IS THEIRS. Yes your receivers do make a difference.

A high ball to our receivers is responded to by putting their hand in the air and pop the ball up 10 feet in the air so it can be intercepted.

exactly... a supporting cast. Remember tampa Stevie?
it sickens me to hear fellow 49er fans take credit away from Steve Young, just because of his opinion on Alex....but not only that...I have noticed a trend here for a while now....

it doesn't matter what player or coach....*some* of these Alex fans don't give a flying fk...

I remember them slamming Jerry Rice......because of his opinion on Alex.

I remember them slamming Joe Montana...because of his opinion on Alex.

and ...I remember them even turning their backs on Bill Walsh...for his opinion on Alex.......this is when I REALLY started to think they were Alex fans more so than 9er fans.....this was back in 2005/06.

and it still continues.....where Alex still hasn't proven much....but the opinions of these HOF players and Coaches who have proved themselves, are tossed aside.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 12, 2009 at 02:51:13 ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
it sickens me to hear fellow 49er fans take credit away from Steve Young, just because of his opinion on Alex....but not only that...I have noticed a trend here for a while now....

it doesn't matter what player or coach....*some* of these Alex fans don't give a flying fk...

and ...I remember them even turning their backs on Bill Walsh...for his opinion on Alex.......this is when I REALLY started to think they were Alex fans more so than 9er fans.....this was back in 2005/06.

and it still continues.....where Alex still hasn't proven much....but the opinions of these HOF players and Coaches who have proved themselves, are tossed aside.

How did Steve Young look when he was a young player surrounded by sh** talent in Tampa Bay?

Tell me....

How did Steve Young look when he was a young player surrounded by sh** talent in Tampa Bay?

Tell me....

it doesn't matter this is what he said about the matter...

"Okay, Young was asked by Mr. Amici's about Smith's performance last week. Young made no excuses. he basically said, "when I played, to me, when the ball leaves my hand, I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS. WHETHER THE WR CATCHES IT, WHETHER ITS PICKED OR DROPPED, IT IS MY RESPONSIBILITY."

he also said that a coach could make excuses for his QB, but ultimately, it is up to the QB to work out the problems himself and in front of 80 thousand people. he said QB's who can handle that burden and work out the INT's and the issues with the offense are the QB's who become good and even great."

Steve Young had a horrible team......but what did he do...apparently he took his own advice.... in his next year he through for twice as many TDs...twice as many Yards.....but not twice as many INTs....

now to Alex's credit, he did the same if not better in his second year....but Alex also had Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, and Antonio Bryant....

now for some strange arse reason, if you want to compare the two...tell me, did the Bucs back then improve their team in Young's second year to the extent of what the 9ers tried to do for Alex?

Tell me....

"Okay, Young was asked by Mr. Amici's about Smith's performance last week. Young made no excuses. he basically said, "when I played, to me, when the ball leaves my hand, I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS. WHETHER THE WR CATCHES IT, WHETHER ITS PICKED OR DROPPED, IT IS MY RESPONSIBILITY."

he also said that a coach could make excuses for his QB, but ultimately, it is up to the QB to work out the problems himself and in front of 80 thousand people. he said QB's who can handle that burden and work out the INT's and the issues with the offense are the QB's who become good and even great."

Steve Young had a horrible team......but what did he do...apparently he took his own advice.... in his next year he through for twice as many TDs...twice as many Yards.....but not twice as many INTs....

now to Alex's credit, he did the same if not better in his second year....but Alex also had Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, and Antonio Bryant....

now for some strange arse reason, if you want to compare the two...tell me, did the Bucs back then improve their team in Young's second year to the extent of what the 9ers tried to do for Alex?

How many Super Bowls did he win with Tampa on a crappy team?

When did Alex ever make excuses BTW? When have you heard him do that?

• B650
  • Veteran

Tell me....

If only we kept Turner as HC and dumped Nolan.
Originally posted by B650:

Tell me....

If only we kept Turner as HC and dumped Nolan.

I was calling for this....I knew it sounded crazy at the time...but I didn't think Nolan brought anything to the table compared to if we lost Norv.....but the Rollin with Nolans were trying to drown me in a bucket of koolaid.

Tell me....

How many Super Bowls did he win with Tampa on a crappy team?

When did Alex ever make excuses BTW? When have you heard him do that?

Steve Young was there for 2 seasons........also, I've never said Alex makes excuses...I like him as a person, I really do wish it worked/works out for him.

anyway, sleep time...talk to yall tomorrow... I'm going to buy a 1080p 120hz screen in the afternoon, just in time to watch the game in HD.....soooooo excited .

[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 12, 2009 at 03:50:51 ]
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A
I am not here to defend Alex Smith although he should be on a short leash (I think he should be let go at the end of the season if he does not do well) but we are a team that is on its eigth year of no playoffs. The real problem is GM and coaching. Period.
Look at Denver, they have freakin Kyle Orton at QB and are doing okay.
Teams do not have to take years to rebuild and I am sick of hearing he is on his first season or he is on his second season. When you are the coach YOU are the one responsible. I just do not care about excuses anymore. We do not look like a team that knows how to win.
When a team comes out and makes mental mistakes and penalties it is because of preparation. Well coached teams do not make the mistakes we do.
In a way I feel sad for Alex bc he was drafted by a team that seems determined to run itself into the ground, the Detroit of the west coast.
It's funny because until the Eagles game in 94, Young's demeanor was EXACTLY what Alex's is. He was better and won tons of games and a couple passing titles, but attitude wise he was the same as Smith is now.

Smith needs that one big moment to break through and say screw the fans, screw the coaches, and remember he was great his whole life. He was always a winner until he came here.
Share 49ersWebzone