There are 189 users in the forums

Steve Young on Smith and what it takes to survive in the NFL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,400 for 76Razor.
I'm on my phone and the mobile webzone doesn't have search. sorry if this was posted already.

Okay, Young was asked by Mr. Amici's about Smith's performance last week. Young made no excuses. he basically said, "when I played, to me, when the ball leaves my hand, I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS. WHETHER THE WR CATCHES IT, WHETHER ITS PICKED OR DROPPED, IT IS MY RESPONSIBILITY."

he also said that a coach could make excuses for his QB, but ultimately, it is up to the QB to work out the problems himself and in front of 80 thousand people. he said QB's who can handle that burden and work out the INT's and the issues with the offense are the QB's who become good and even great.

he never eluded or even showed support for Smith. just kinda p***yfooted around the question and said "it will be an important week for Smith".

and lastly, he said that he likes watching QB's at press conferences-win or lose. bcause in these interviews, he looks to see if the QB will NOT make excuses for bad things an show confidence that HE will lead/command and win.

to me, Smith always seems bummed out and not too confident. maybe he doesn't have what Young says QB's need (outside physical ability) to succed. I am backing Smith, but what Yong says sems to make me question Smith.
Yeah Smith is horrible at press conferences
That funny. At every press conference Smith is usually the first to take the blame and point out things he did wrong. I appreciate Youngs input but to suggest Smith is an excuse maker is ridiculous. He must be thinking of JaMarcus.
Look at the catches New Orleans makes for Brees. Look at the tape. He throws plenty of throws high, low, early, late and all over the place. His WR's and TE go up and get it. When the ball is in the air IT IS THEIRS. Yes your receivers do make a difference.

A high ball to our receivers is responded to by putting their hand in the air and pop the ball up 10 feet in the air so it can be intercepted.
Originally posted by Digger25:
I'm on my phone and the mobile webzone doesn't have search. sorry if this was posted already.

Okay, Young was asked by Mr. Amici's about Smith's performance last week. Young made no excuses. he basically said, "when I played, to me, when the ball leaves my hand, I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS. WHETHER THE WR CATCHES IT, WHETHER ITS PICKED OR DROPPED, IT IS MY RESPONSIBILITY."

he also said that a coach could make excuses for his QB, but ultimately, it is up to the QB to work out the problems himself and in front of 80 thousand people. he said QB's who can handle that burden and work out the INT's and the issues with the offense are the QB's who become good and even great.

he never eluded or even showed support for Smith. just kinda p***yfooted around the question and said "it will be an important week for Smith".

and lastly, he said that he likes watching QB's at press conferences-win or lose. bcause in these interviews, he looks to see if the QB will NOT make excuses for bad things an show confidence that HE will lead/command and win.

to me, Smith always seems bummed out and not too confident. maybe he doesn't have what Young says QB's need (outside physical ability) to succed. I am backing Smith, but what Yong says sems to make me question Smith.

I really don't think it is an important game for Smith.

If he loses he'll get another chance to lose again.

I think the 49ers will stick with him (lose with him) until he has a career ending injury.
Originally posted by BAD_AL:

I think the 49ers will stick with him (lose with him) until he has a career ending injury.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Look at the catches New Orleans makes for Brees. Look at the tape. He throws plenty of throws high, low, early, late and all over the place. His WR's and TE go up and get it. When the ball is in the air IT IS THEIRS. Yes your receivers do make a difference.

A high ball to our receivers is responded to by putting their hand in the air and pop the ball up 10 feet in the air so it can be intercepted.

Right on, SD. The receivers make a huge difference (guy a big and fast as Colston doesn't hurt either). Brees is an excellent QB, you don't throw for 5069 yards (only the second QB ever to throw for over 5000 yards) and not be good. But you also don't have excellent receivers and Oline.
  • B650
  • Veteran

Nostradamus Fail.
That is two no nonsense well respected QBs who have said it is on Alex to take it upon himself to improve....doesn't matter what Singletary tries to cover up.....

Steve Young and Rich Gannon know what they are talking about.......you can only make excuses for so long.....pressure is building....we are barely in second place and 2 games back of the Cards....4 game losing streak.....media heads calling out the coach......

so what happens if Alex struggles tomorrow?....if he turns the ball over 2 times tomorrow, I think Sing will pull the trigger......no matter who we want to blame, a turnover is a turnover and they kill our team..

so for the Alex believers.....it is on Alex to put this team on his shoulders (something yall said Shaun couldn't do) and lead us to victory.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
That is two no nonsense well respected QBs who have said it is on Alex to take it upon himself to improve....doesn't matter what Singletary tries to cover up.....

Steve Young and Rich Gannon know what they are talking about.......you can only make excuses for so long.....pressure is building....we are barely in second place and 2 games back of the Cards....4 game losing streak.....media heads calling out the coach......

so what happens if Alex struggles tomorrow?....if he turns the ball over 2 times tomorrow, I think Sing will pull the trigger......no matter who we want to blame, a turnover is a turnover and they kill our team..

so for the Alex believers.....it is on Alex to put this team on his shoulders (something yall said Shaun couldn't do) and lead us to victory.

Singletary won't pull the trigger anytime soon. He's behind Smith and so is this team. The reason being there's simply nobody behind him that's an NFL-quality starting QB. We're moving the ball right now. Singletary likes that. It's all a matter of Smith protecting the ball better, and I think Singletary will have enough patience to realize that turnovers do happen once in a while, and a lot of it has to do with the offense being young.

The only way Smith gets benched is if it's painfully obvious that he's the reason why we're losing game after game, and so far, that hasn't been the case. If I had to bet on it, I'd say Smith is going to finish the year as our QB, and I'm happy with that because Smith almost threw for 300 yards against the Titans. We have the potential to become one of the best offenses in the entire league. With Hill, we have 150 yards passing and 1 INT. With Smith, it might be 300 yards passing and 2 INTs. I'll take that, especially because Smith is still young.

[ Edited by B650 on Nov 11, 2009 at 21:24:25 ]

Originally posted by Afrikan:

Yeah...Young and Gannon both make valid points. and Yiung expanded on what Gannon kept on saying about "a bit too late with his throws".

Young basically said that Alex has the tools but lacks confidence in making the throws. And "that LITTLE bit of hesitation" is what he needs to work out within himself.

then Razor went on to make a good point: you have to ride it out with Smith. Because if you pull him after a week (or whenever) you can kiss his ass goodbye in SF.

I am a Smith supporter-I really am. but what people (whom I respect the opinions of) are really starting to kinda make me see what they are seeing-or at least question my faith in Smith. but that why I love about this game: one week can make you believe all over again, or make you miserable for another seven days.

LOLOLOL

...which is a symptom of a very young receiving corps.

Our starting 3 are a rookie, a second year man, and a seldom used third year player.

The kind of things that you see happening in NO take time to develop. Offensive continuity. The kinds of things that happen when a team plays in the same offense fro more than one season at a time.

Remember...the Saints are 2 years removed from being a 7-9 team, and four seasons removed from being a 3-13 team. What made them become the team they are today? Four years of the same system, the same QB, and the same philosophy. Give it time.
SanDiego49er is right on the money. San Diego guys must be on the same page. I was thinking earlier today about Brees and the way the Saints receivers play. I get so tired of reading on the Webzone about how Smith stares down receivers and the interceptions are all his fault and on and on. I have attached a couple of highlight clips of Brees' games against the Giants and the Dolphins. You will notice the protection he gets from the OL, the way he "stares" down receivers, how he throws into double and triple coverage, and how he has bad spurts as well. In the first half against the Dolphins he was picked twice, fumbled once, missed receivers and had a QB rating of 29.4. Down 24 to 10, he came back to win the game and he was not pulled. LOL I think you will notice, like SD said, he expects his receiver to make plays, fight for the ball and to hang on to them. They never drop passes and they are not easy grabs. Enjoy the highlights and let me know what you think. And the next time you want to beat up on Smith, just remember that even the best QB's fumble and throw INT's. And the Chargers got rid of Brees because he was not "producing". Yeah.
Dolphins
Giants
Originally posted by Legbreaker:

...which is a symptom of a very young receiving corps.

Our starting 3 are a rookie, a second year man, and a seldom used third year player.

The kind of things that you see happening in NO take time to develop. Offensive continuity. The kinds of things that happen when a team plays in the same offense fro more than one season at a time.

Remember...the Saints are 2 years removed from being a 7-9 team, and four seasons removed from being a 3-13 team. What made them become the team they are today? Four years of the same system, the same QB, and the same philosophy. Give it time.

I would love to see 2 - 3 years of Smith in the same system with the same WR's and the same O LINE (well different O Line in our case...). Playing together over time matters. And we haven't managed that well.
Share 49ersWebzone