LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Is Alex REALLY a bust?? Read Ponder Vote...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Alex REALLY a bust?? Read Ponder Vote...

Originally posted by Ceadderman:
After all the slack jawing about Smith being a bust based on one game(be honest he was not that bad against the Colts), I decided to go poking around for some comparative stats.

These three QBs' who shall be for the time being remain nameless put up either comparable numbers or worse numbers than Alex.

QB1: Posted these numbers in his first two years...

year 1: in 5 games Started 138 passes attempted/ 72 completed/ for 935 yards/ 3 TD and 8 INTs.

Year 2: 13 games Started. 363 passes attempted/ 195 completed/ for 2282 yards/ 8 TDs and 13 INTs.

QB2: Posted these numbers in 3 years...

Year 1: 13 games Started. 218 Attempts/ 83 completed/ 1410 yards/ 6 TDs 24 INTs'.

Year 2: 14 games Started. 373 Attempts/ 203 completed/ 2259 yards/ 13 TDs and 22 INTs.

Year 3: 14 games Started. 308 Attempts/ 147 completed/ 1887 yards/ 12 TD and 12 INTs'.

And QB3: Posted these numbers in 3 years...

Year 1: 14 games Started. 328 Attempts/ 158 Completed/ 2158 yards/ 19 TD and 16 INTs.

Year 1: 14 games Started. 355 Attempts/ 169 Completed/ 2196 yards/ 8 TD and 25 INTs.

Year 3 14 games Started. 376 Attempts/ 193 Completed/ 2550 yards/ 13 TD and 17 INTs.

Now, Alex Smith...

Year 1: 9 G/ 7 Started/ 165 Attempts/ 89 Completed/ 875 yards/ 1 TD and 11 INTs'.

Year 2: 16 games Started/442 Attempts/ 257 Completed/ 2890 yards/ 16 TD and 16INTs.

Year 3: 7 games Started/ 193 Attempts/ 94 Completed/ 914 yards/ 2 TD and 4 INTs'.

I used the numbers from 3 well known QBs' all from their 1st 2 or 3 years in the league. All have had issues with the teams that drafted them.

So you be the Judge is he a bust, or are all of them busts.

I'll post the names of the 3 QBs' in a few days on my profile.

Let the conversation begin.

~Ceadder

I'm pretty certain of who 2 of the 3 QBs are. The first QB was on an awful team and playing for an awful franchise. A change of scenery and great coaching and he blossomed into a Hall of Fame QB.

The 2nd QB probably had the most loaded HOF roster in the history of pro football.

Alex Smith played in some horrible teams his first few years, but that is not the case this year. He was talent at all of the skill positions and enough weapons at his deploy in spite of the O-Line. I have seen great QBs get killed behind behind O-lines, but somehow they find the resolve to make big plays to win games. Everything isn't Alex's fault, but he has never demonstrated the ability to pull the rabbit out of the hat so to speak, to make big plays/take over a game, and will his team to victory. SOMETHING always happens to prevent it from happening.

Case in point, Vince Young doesn't nearly have the skills that Alex Smith has, and Smith is surrounded by more talent. However the same team that couldn't win a game for the majority of this season is now 2-0 with Young as a starter.

A 6-2 run the rest of the way, which I want to say is almost impossible is the only way Smith ducks having the bust label applied to him.
The worst thing is that Vince Young on a 1-win team played more solid than Alex Smith and won.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TDking876:
ALEX IS NOT A BUST!!!! Open your eyes the whole team is behind him. This kid is definitley not the same guy we saw from years past. YOu can see it in his play that he is now the leader and he is determined to do whatever it takes to win.

NFL Career record

05 2-7
06 7-9
07 2-5
08 0-0
09 0-2

He's injury prone. Has a career 55% completion percentage, 31 fumbles in 35 games, 38 picks in 35 games a career average of 153 yards passing per game and a career QB rating of 65.7.

I'll give you a guy to compare him to...Tim Couch a #1 overall pick drafted to an expansion team.

Now statistically T.Couch had a better career, W-L wise Couch had a better career, he actually saw the playoffs in his career...and he is considered a bust...what does that make Alex Smith??
Originally posted by jcs:
ALEX IS NOT A BUST!!!! Open your eyes the whole team is behind him. This kid is definitley not the same guy we saw from years past. YOu can see it in his play that he is now the leader and he is determined to do whatever it takes to win.

NFL Career record

05 2-7
06 7-9
07 2-5
08 0-0
09 0-2

He's injury prone. Has a career 55% completion percentage, 31 fumbles in 35 games, 38 picks in 35 games a career average of 153 yards passing per game and a career QB rating of 65.7.

I'll give you a guy to compare him to...Tim Couch a #1 overall pick drafted to an expansion team.

Now statistically T.Couch had a better career, W-L wise Couch had a better career, he actually saw the playoffs in his career...and he is considered a bust...what does that make Alex Smith??

Simple, to a rational personal a bust. To a person whose lost the ability to be rational about anybody who dons the Red and Gold..........well we all the know the answer don't we. I am sure there are Browns fans to this day who won't call Couch a bust....that goes for all of the Busts, Alex will be no different

excellent post

[ Edited by danimal on Nov 9, 2009 at 12:45:59 ]
No one will argue that he hasn't played even close to his expectations, but I just can't put a label on anyone until their career is over, IMO. A disappointment, yes, and if his career were to end today, yes, a bust. But not yet.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
No one will argue that he hasn't played even close to his expectations, but I just can't put a label on anyone until their career is over, IMO. A disappointment, yes, and if his career were to end today, yes, a bust. But not yet.

You can only judge him on what he's done...not what could be because that's just unrealistic...

amen!
  • GORO
  • Veteran
We will find out if he is a bust these next few weeks. As of 2 1/2 games he has played better than he has ever done while in the NFL. I believe that against the Titans he was trying to hard and was late on some throws, but he must be completing 60% of his throws and if he can throw more TD's than ints the next few weeks he will then win many of us over.

Go 49ers let the 6 straight losing years end
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Are those three, Qbs, Drunkenmiller, Marinovich. and Harrington? cause it sure as hell aint Montana!

lol Ummmm WE drafted Druckenmiller.

I think they did draft Sims however.

~Ceadder

NFL Career record

05 2-7
06 7-9
07 2-5
08 0-0
09 0-2

So MAYBE, Couch was not a bust at all? Maybe Butch Davis=QB killer?

I have ALWAYS thought this. I believe that Couch got a raw deal the minute Davis was hired.

~Ceadder

• luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

NFL Career record

05 2-7
06 7-9
07 2-5
08 0-0
09 0-2

So MAYBE, Couch was not a bust at all? Maybe Butch Davis=QB killer?

I have ALWAYS thought this. I believe that Couch got a raw deal the minute Davis was hired.

~Ceadder

NFL Career record

05 2-7
06 7-9
07 2-5
08 0-0
09 0-2

05 2-7
06 7-9
07 2-5
08 0-0
09 0-2

07 2-5? i doubt it.. he got an injured it when he left it 2-3.. not 2-5.. i doubt it..
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
If you do not think Alex Smith is a bust, you are just not watching the games...I do not care who the other QBs are...and I know one of them is probably Steve Young...

I've seen the games and I'd like to know what you're seeing that I'm not seeing? I'm not saying Smith played well or didn't play well. He is up and down but hasn't quite been able to seal the deal this year when the game was on the line. It looks to me like he doesn't quite trust what is going on at times and lacks chemistry with some of his receivers. However, he is also improvising and reading defenses much better than I've seen him in the past. Regardless, none of us can sit here and say for sure whether or not Smith is a bust after 10 quarters.
Originally posted by Spoonerism:
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
If you do not think Alex Smith is a bust, you are just not watching the games...I do not care who the other QBs are...and I know one of them is probably Steve Young...

I've seen the games and I'd like to know what you're seeing that I'm not seeing? I'm not saying Smith played well or didn't play well. He is up and down but hasn't quite been able to seal the deal this year when the game was on the line. It looks to me like he doesn't quite trust what is going on at times and lacks chemistry with some of his receivers. However, he is also improvising and reading defenses much better than I've seen him in the past. Regardless, none of us can sit here and say for sure whether or not Smith is a bust after 10 quarters.

He's shown good stuff, he's shown bad stuff. I can see how you can have an argument either way.

I guess it just comes down to this: Are you an optimist or a pessimist?
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I don't know that Alex is a bust yet. People forget that he was not playing with the #1 team all season and they expect him to just come out and play like Montana because he had a great 1st game.

Give it time folks.

Oh and yeah...the other QB's have no bearing on Alex's performance...I'm sure we can find a number of QBs with similiar stats that eventually worked their way out of the NFL. Means nothing.

Exactly how much time should we give him??
Share 49ersWebzone