LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Is Alex REALLY a bust?? Read Ponder Vote...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Alex REALLY a bust?? Read Ponder Vote...

Originally posted by dobophile:
Give Alex a decent o-line and he'll be good.

But dude folds like origami when the pressure is on. And he hasn't quite cleaned all the sand out of his vagina.

Pfff...are you calling him soft or what? Dude(more like kid at the time) took every snap in '06 while running for his life quite often. Get real.

[ Edited by GBNinerFan on Nov 9, 2009 at 11:00:57 ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
After all the slack jawing about Smith being a bust based on one game(be honest he was not that bad against the Colts), I decided to go poking around for some comparative stats.

These three QBs' who shall be for the time being remain nameless put up either comparable numbers or worse numbers than Alex.

QB1: Posted these numbers in his first two years...

year 1: in 5 games Started 138 passes attempted/ 72 completed/ for 935 yards/ 3 TD and 8 INTs.

Year 2: 13 games Started. 363 passes attempted/ 195 completed/ for 2282 yards/ 8 TDs and 13 INTs.

QB2: Posted these numbers in 3 years...

Year 1: 13 games Started. 218 Attempts/ 83 completed/ 1410 yards/ 6 TDs 24 INTs'.

Year 2: 14 games Started. 373 Attempts/ 203 completed/ 2259 yards/ 13 TDs and 22 INTs.

Year 3: 14 games Started. 308 Attempts/ 147 completed/ 1887 yards/ 12 TD and 12 INTs'.

And QB3: Posted these numbers in 3 years...

Year 1: 14 games Started. 328 Attempts/ 158 Completed/ 2158 yards/ 19 TD and 16 INTs.

Year 1: 14 games Started. 355 Attempts/ 169 Completed/ 2196 yards/ 8 TD and 25 INTs.

Year 3 14 games Started. 376 Attempts/ 193 Completed/ 2550 yards/ 13 TD and 17 INTs.

Now, Alex Smith...

Year 1: 9 G/ 7 Started/ 165 Attempts/ 89 Completed/ 875 yards/ 1 TD and 11 INTs'.

Year 2: 16 games Started/442 Attempts/ 257 Completed/ 2890 yards/ 16 TD and 16INTs.

Year 3: 7 games Started/ 193 Attempts/ 94 Completed/ 914 yards/ 2 TD and 4 INTs'.

I used the numbers from 3 well known QBs' all from their 1st 2 or 3 years in the league. All have had issues with the teams that drafted them.

So you be the Judge is he a bust, or are all of them busts.

I'll post the names of the 3 QBs' in a few days on my profile.

Let the conversation begin.

~Ceadder

Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
It's amazing how people waffle. The guy throws 3 TDs in a half and they have hope in him, then he throws 3 INTs in a game and they dismiss him again.

Perhaps it is too hasty to make a decision right now? Let's wait till the end of the season, or until he gets benched, before making a final verdict. That would be the wise thing to do.

How dare you be logical!!!!!!!! Anger and hatred are all that are allowed here. Go away with you logical self and let everyone here stew in our anger and hatred for everything Alex!!!!
i really just wish whoever is back there plays well, I'm tired of having these discussion about every qb we put behind center! SOMEONE STEP THE f**k UP!
No I don't think so. Fans are hatting on him at a ridiculous amount. I hope he leaves San Fran and goes to a GOOD team who KNOWS how to develop people and WANTS to win. Alex will be a good QB in this league just not with us. I guarantee it. I also guarantee we will not have another good QB unless we clean house
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
No I don't think so. Fans are hatting on him at a ridiculous amount. I hope he leaves San Fran and goes to a GOOD team who KNOWS how to develop people and WANTS to win. Alex will be a good QB in this league just not with us. I guarantee it. I also guarantee we will not have another good QB unless we clean house

Agree
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith is the biggest Bust in the NFL in the last 10 years.

Alex is the biggest bust in the NFL? no way! Alex will learning to make mistake for ints and not matter what! he will focus for serious by himself when he will pay attend for read offense how improve alot that he threw it the good yards much. I think, not bad.. the 49ers don't have a qb right now. so please keep alex can continues for play whole games if he didn't improve to continues for wins then next year will draft QB 2010?!?

[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Nov 9, 2009 at 11:40:35 ]
How long, how long, how long do we wait for Smith? Smith is better but he's still mediocre at best and I mean the best case is that Smith is mediocre.

Originally posted by Joecool:
So far, Alex Smith is a 5th year QB who has lost way more than won.

Shaun Hill, when he came to this team was a 5 year backup and has won more than lost.

However, we can't go back. We need to make sure Alex is a backup at best or if he's a starter. Must keep him starting until halfway through next season. If he's sucking up to that point, then we need to try plan C.
Originally posted by Archie:
How long, how long, how long do we wait for Smith? Smith is better but he's still mediocre at best and I mean the best case is that Smith is mediocre.

Shaun Hill, when he came to this team was a 5 year backup and has won more than lost.

However, we can't go back. We need to make sure Alex is a backup at best or if he's a starter. Must keep him starting until halfway through next season. If he's sucking up to that point, then we need to try plan C.

Ask Tampa how much longer should they have waited on Steve Young????????
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:

so your solution is to hold on to every player you draft so you don't cut the next Steve Young prematurely?

Brilliant.

Nothing can be done at this point. Give Alex the rest of the season to see if some chemistry can develop and he can minimize or eliminate his mistakes. If he can’t, we see about getting a new QB in the draft, give Davis a shot while the new QB learns the system. If Davis can’t get it done we go with the new guy. Obviously, if a proven QB comes available in FA we could make a play on that as well.

I agree with Joecool, benching Smith right now is not the answer. We need to see what he can do the rest of the way out. Then we will know if the AS experiment is truly a failure or if he is the future.
Originally posted by danimal:

so your solution is to hold on to every player you draft so you don't cut the next Steve Young prematurely?

Brilliant.

Only if the player has no skills , Alex does have some skills . Brilliant
  • TDking876
  • Info N/A
ALEX IS NOT A BUST!!!! Open your eyes the whole team is behind him. This kid is definitley not the same guy we saw from years past. YOu can see it in his play that he is now the leader and he is determined to do whatever it takes to win.
Originally posted by danimal:

Brilliant.

Only if the player has no skills , Alex does have some skills . Brilliant

every player in the NFL has skills. You are going to have to do better than that bud.
Are those three, Qbs, Drunkenmiller, Marinovich. and Harrington? cause it sure as hell aint Montana!
Share 49ersWebzone