LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Is Alex REALLY a bust?? Read Ponder Vote...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Alex REALLY a bust?? Read Ponder Vote...

Originally posted by JoseCortez:
No Alex Smith is not bust. This thread is.

Says the Tool named JoseCortez.

Now if I can just figure out what kind of tool he is so I can put him away it would be much better.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Nov 8, 2009 at 21:30:28 ]
this is a very flawed way to analyze players.

You see, for every single negative indicator that is widely accepted among football experts, you will ALWAYS find an example of a largely positive players career who at one point or another displayed one or some of these negative indicators.

In essence, what you are saying is.....NEVER cut any player because you NEVER know.

That is like a GM instituting policy that states his franchise will never cut a drafted player before his 8th season, because you never know you could have INSERT EXAMPLE HERE on your hands. Speculate for a moment on how that franchise would do?

So Alex supporters, don't tell us about so and so who did it once, tell us why you think Alex Smith will beat the odds.

I have been fighting Alex Smith fans for 5 years now. Here is my general sense, not many people really believed in him or had many great things to say about him...it was usually arguments about why he can not be ruled out.

Even his biggest supporters always wondered

[ Edited by danimal on Nov 8, 2009 at 21:43:32 ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Now if I can just figure out what kind of tool he is so I can put him away it would be much better.

~Ceadder

Can we agree that if he does not show us something by season's end, then he is a bust?

I mean, year one was a crap team, year two showed "some" improvement, and this is technically year three. Honestly, I thought he was changed with how he played against Houston and Indy, but now I feel severely decieved. As much as I want to really back the guy, he is making it increasingly difficult. By the way, I didn't vote, because the season is not over... no excuses this year, this is it!
Yes, for the love of God, yes.
Originally posted by SJniner7:

~Ceadder

Can we agree that if he does not show us something by season's end, then he is a bust?

I mean, year one was a crap team, year two showed "some" improvement, and this is technically year three. Honestly, I thought he was changed with how he played against Houston and Indy, but now I feel severely decieved. As much as I want to really back the guy, he is making it increasingly difficult. By the way, I didn't vote, because the season is not over... no excuses this year, this is it!

I am in the same Camp SJ. Though I did vote.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by SJniner7:

~Ceadder

TODAY WAS IT..okay??? he is never going to be anything but a bust...we have been saying this for three years...when are you people going to get it?

After all the slack jawing about Smith being a bust based on one game(be honest he was not that bad against the Colts), I decided to go poking around for some comparative stats.

These three QBs' who shall be for the time being remain nameless put up either comparable numbers or worse numbers than Alex.

QB1: Posted these numbers in his first two years...

year 1: in 5 games Started 138 passes attempted/ 72 completed/ for 935 yards/ 3 TD and 8 INTs.

Year 2: 13 games Started. 363 passes attempted/ 195 completed/ for 2282 yards/ 8 TDs and 13 INTs.

QB2: Posted these numbers in 3 years...

Year 1: 13 games Started. 218 Attempts/ 83 completed/ 1410 yards/ 6 TDs 24 INTs'.

Year 2: 14 games Started. 373 Attempts/ 203 completed/ 2259 yards/ 13 TDs and 22 INTs.

Year 3: 14 games Started. 308 Attempts/ 147 completed/ 1887 yards/ 12 TD and 12 INTs'.

And QB3: Posted these numbers in 3 years...

Year 1: 14 games Started. 328 Attempts/ 158 Completed/ 2158 yards/ 19 TD and 16 INTs.

Year 1: 14 games Started. 355 Attempts/ 169 Completed/ 2196 yards/ 8 TD and 25 INTs.

Year 3 14 games Started. 376 Attempts/ 193 Completed/ 2550 yards/ 13 TD and 17 INTs.

Now, Alex Smith...

Year 1: 9 G/ 7 Started/ 165 Attempts/ 89 Completed/ 875 yards/ 1 TD and 11 INTs'.

Year 2: 16 games Started/442 Attempts/ 257 Completed/ 2890 yards/ 16 TD and 16INTs.

Year 3: 7 games Started/ 193 Attempts/ 94 Completed/ 914 yards/ 2 TD and 4 INTs'.

I used the numbers from 3 well known QBs' all from their 1st 2 or 3 years in the league. All have had issues with the teams that drafted them.

So you be the Judge is he a bust, or are all of them busts.

I'll post the names of the 3 QBs' in a few days on my profile.

Let the conversation begin.

~Ceadder
Edited

[ Edited by D_Niner on Nov 9, 2009 at 09:41:33 ]
Come on guys.. please let Alex got make mistake it but he will learning the mistake and let him serious with process time.. i remember it, Peyton Manning was first rookie when he was many mistake for Ints alot for 1 years then he got change time and he got successful it.. please be patience and watch him to play when alex can serious to learning the process time like Peyton mannin did. The 49ers don't have a qb but really need a qb then.. please keep be patients and watch it that let Alex can playing if he got mistake for ints but he got improve the threw it when he will better much and take times. I bet he will delevople it someday!
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Come on guys.. please let Alex got make mistake it but he will learning the mistake and let him serious with process time.. i remember it, Peyton Manning was first rookie when he was many mistake for Ints alot for 1 years then he got change time and he got successful it.. please be patience and watch him to play when alex can serious to learning the process time like Peyton mannin did. The 49ers don't have a qb but really need a qb then.. please keep be patients and watch it that let Alex can playing if he got mistake for ints but he got improve the threw it when he will better much and take times. I bet he will delevople it someday!

But not is waht Bonton with a PB&J. Know what I'm sayin...

He's a bust! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY.....OR EVER? WHAT HAS HE DONE?!?!?!

Let's see...5 years later lol, he still can't deliver the ball on time, still hasn't grasped the NFL game yet, still making poor reads and decisions, still overthrowing...

At least he has a hard count
Seems to me a more meaningful comparison would be Smith's first 2 or 3 year stats against any number of BUST QBs. I bet some all-time bust QBs would even have better stats than Smith. What would that say about Smith being a bust or not? Or, more appropriately, what level of bust he is...

You can always find an exception to the rule like the 3 QBs you posted. It's useless. For every exception there are probably more than 10 busts that you can use as a more accurate comparison.

LB
He sucks. I don't care who the other quarterbacks are. Their numbers have absolutely nothing to do with Alex Smith.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by pantstickle:
He sucks. I don't care who the other quarterbacks are. Their numbers have absolutely nothing to do with Alex Smith.

Originally posted by luv49rs:
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Share 49ersWebzone