LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

Smith Wasn't As Bad as the Stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
3 Interceptions, 1 fumble lost, and a loss.........all ya need to know
Originally posted by TDking876:
Smith is doing fine. It's only his 3rd game back and he already looks like an NFL QB of the future. The 2 of the int. he threw were just unlucky. Give him credit. Even when he threw 2 straight int's he still came back with a TD drive at the end to keep them within a miracle of winning the game. The kid's got a fire. Guys he hasnt started for 2 years. He is doing well. Oh and btw he had the highest yardage with 286 of the season and his career. Sounds like he's improving to me. He will learn we just have to be pacient.

I think after several seasons of losing and having mediocre QB's, most members here share my sentiments: "Patience my ARSE, I wanna kill somebody"! .. or is it pacient?

Regarding Alex, just like the Tin Man who said "If I only had a brain"!

Somebody said (his college coach?) he's a slow learner. The problem is he didn't say just how long! So based on his improvements, another FOUR years and he might just get it right?

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 9, 2009 at 12:51:20 ]
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Smith is doing fine. It's only his 3rd game back and he already looks like an NFL QB of the future. The 2 of the int. he threw were just unlucky. Give him credit. Even when he threw 2 straight int's he still came back with a TD drive at the end to keep them within a miracle of winning the game. The kid's got a fire. Guys he hasnt started for 2 years. He is doing well. Oh and btw he had the highest yardage with 286 of the season and his career. Sounds like he's improving to me. He will learn we just have to be pacient.

I think after several seasons of losing and having mediocre QB's, most members here share my sentiments: "Patience my ARSE, I wanna kill somebody"! .. or is it pacient?

Somebody said (his college coach?) he's a slow learner. The problem is he didn't say just how long! So based on his improvements, another FOUR years and he might just get it right?

No, but to expect him to come every Sunday and play lights out right now is unrealistic. Frankly I was waiting for him to finally lay an egg. And he did no doubt. I dont think its anything to be too concerned over. He had 1 amazing half, 1 decent game, and 1 bad game. It happens. Where it becomes a problem is if its week in week out.

Now has he been turning it over a lot more? Yes he has. But again, its expected. I think Alex is trying to find himself to be honest. He's trying to find that balance of being too careful vs being a gun slinger. The game vs Titans was obviously Smith being a little too risky. If you look at the houston game and the indy game...Smith is much more accurate and makes better decisions. He's more methodical. Sunday, IMO, was an aberration for "Alex Smith 2.0" if you will. Yes, u can look at it and say, "oh Smith is going back to his old self," but the old Smith never even kept us in games when things went bad. He'd just put his head down and walk to the sideline like "aww shucks." Now he gets pi##ed and tried to do something about it.

So I'll take the bad throws and picks RIGHT NOW if it means that Smith becomes a better QB because of it. I dont know if that makes sense but I just dont see this as "SEE SMYTH IZ TEH SAMEZ" black and white like some do.

I could be wrong who knows.
over reaction monday at its finest. you guys need to chill, he looked very good yesterday besides the one pick intended for morgan. the other two picks were the receivers fault, singletary said so in his press conference and i think the 2nd pop up INT shouldve been a pass interference because he was all over our WR. and the fumble was caused by the s**tty line getting collapsed. he moved the ball well. we had over 350 yards of total offense yesterday. these problems are all due to changing an offense AND personnel mid season. they will get it figured out.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:

No, but to expect him to come every Sunday and play lights out right now is unrealistic. Frankly I was waiting for him to finally lay an egg. And he did no doubt. I dont think its anything to be too concerned over. He had 1 amazing half, 1 decent game, and 1 bad game. It happens. Where it becomes a problem is if its week in week out.

Now has he been turning it over a lot more? Yes he has. But again, its expected. I think Alex is trying to find himself to be honest. He's trying to find that balance of being too careful vs being a gun slinger. The game vs Titans was obviously Smith being a little too risky. If you look at the houston game and the indy game...Smith is much more accurate and makes better decisions. He's more methodical. Sunday, IMO, was an aberration for "Alex Smith 2.0" if you will. Yes, u can look at it and say, "oh Smith is going back to his old self," but the old Smith never even kept us in games when things went bad. He'd just put his head down and walk to the sideline like "aww shucks." Now he gets pi##ed and tried to do something about it.

So I'll take the bad throws and picks RIGHT NOW if it means that Smith becomes a better QB because of it. I dont know if that makes sense but I just dont see this as "SEE SMYTH IZ TEH SAMEZ" black and white like some do.

I could be wrong who knows.

Agreed.
Smith has 5 INT's and out of those 5 INT's 4 of them have come off of tipped passes from WR's not doing their jobs and catching the ball. All of them have been catchable and the WR's have failed to do their job and catch it sending the ball into the air for free INT's.

Fumble was all on Snyder. If Snyder does his job and blocks his man then Smith would not have been under pressure and the ball would have never been hit out of his hands.
Can't put the tipped balls on Smith but after 4 years in the league, staring down a WR is unacceptable! There's no excuse for that. You mind as well just hand the ball to the defense if your gonna stare down WRs.
Uh, oh... The Hill-billies are going to get you for this thread.

BTW... I agree with you.
He showed some good things, but he has seriously got to take care of the ball... plain and simple. He better learn from this, and not implode in front of the home crowd on thursday...
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Can't put the tipped balls on Smith but after 4 years in the league, staring down a WR is unacceptable! There's no excuse for that. You mind as well just hand the ball to the defense if your gonna stare down WRs.

that was my point the 4 tipped passes that resulted in 4 INT's are on the WR not Smith. If not for that he would have 1 INT and that is it

Originally posted by backontop:

that was my point the 4 tipped passes that resulted in 4 INT's are on the WR not Smith. If not for that he would have 1 INT and that is it

I almost can't believe I sit and watched him stare down Josh Morgan and throw that pick. I'm still in disbelief.
MM article on the turnovers was right on. Of the 3 int. Smith gets all the blame on 1, shared blame with Morgan on other 2 in which a pass interference should have been called on one of them, Snyder is responsible for one of the fumbles.

As I have said time and again going to with hold judgment on Smith until end of season and have a body of work to review vs. typical Zone hysteria of this week Smith sucks and following week he is great roller coaster ride.

Our line sucks has all season and has to be upgraded in the offseason. Will not matter who our QB is until that happens.

I almost can't believe I sit and watched him stare down Josh Morgan and throw that pick. I'm still in disbelief.

That INT was all on Smith. I was like WTF is Hill rubbing off on Smith now. That is something Hill does and something that he wasn't doing.

That INT was all on Smith. I was like WTF is Hill rubbing off on Smith now. That is something Hill does and something that he wasn't doing.

That INT was all on Smith. It would be nice if he could stare down Morgan and then look back, know where someone else is supposed to be and throw it there.

Oh yeah. I found it funny that Rich Gannon was talking about Smith being late with this throws(he may have been on some) but the INTs bouncing off the WR's hands showed different. I guess the WRs are still used to Hill throwing.
Share 49ersWebzone