There are 255 users in the forums

Smith Wasn't As Bad as the Stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Smith is pathetic. Singletary is also a moron for not keeping Hill active in the beginning of the year.
Originally posted by hopeforniners:
Although Smith didnt play very well today, he was not the reason the niners lost today. It was because the receivers except vd and gore couldnt catch worth anything.
In addition, our o-line as usual stunk it up.
And the defense was missing all day.
Seriously, this team has only a handful of players who would be starters in other teams and the lack of talent mixed with a ridiculous amount of non-creative play call is destroying the team.
At this point, Scott M. has to be replaced and possibly Singletary too because inspiration and ruh-ruh get you only so far in the pro game.
And I dont know about the rest of you, but I'm really tired of this team playing below part for the better part of 10 years now. I've wasted my 20s rooting and looking forward to every game and season. Enough is enough.

Smith's lack of production is ALWAYS someone else's fault. It's the coaching, the OL, the receivers, the rbs, the defense, the OC, bad luck....always their fault, not his. But, if he shows well, then HE gets all of the credit! These excuses are getting very old.

Some of you cried; "Release Smith! Open the play book up!" And now you see what the coaching staff has seen for years. Yes, Smith makes play, but unfortunately, he makes just as many plays for the opposing team.

When this team had a chance to acquire the most elusive QB in the history of the game, management allowed some pink panties protesters to dissuade them from doing what they knew what was in the best interest of the team. So, we are getting exactly what you asked for; highly inconsistent qb play that does not win games. Did you actually think that the OL would produce differently; that Smith would morph into Montana? Some of us have NO grounds to complain.

I keep seeing that some of you think that Davis is not ready. Although you have no proof to support your claim, you maybe right, and if you are, then the coaching staff needs to get him ready ASAP as neither Smith or Hill are the answers. Other rookies are getting it done and you can not convince me that Davis would look any worst with a conservative game plan than Hill or Smith.
Multiple turnovers, especially late in the game when you still have a chance is worse than what the stats show.

[ Edited by djfullshred on Nov 9, 2009 at 09:21:23 ]
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Multiple turnovers, especially late in the game when you still have a chance is worse than what the stats show.

THIS!!!!!!!
Facts we can all agree on about Smith: (in order of importance)

1. Accuracy issues: For the most part, QBs are either accurate or they are not. This is a trait that rarely magically appears.

2. Staring down receivers: This is something that could get better with more playing time but it is also difficult to get away from but not as difficult as #1. If and when it clicks, he should be staring the defense down and not his receivers.

3. Avoiding the Strip-Sack: Most QBs never fix this issue. Shaun Hill was very, very good at clamping onto the ball when he sensed pressure. Take a look at Smith's fumble-totals in his career and you won't be surprised as to why he put 2 on the ground yesterday.

All-in-all, we threw 51 times with a QB who is still learning and most importantly trying to gain confidence in himself. That was the worst thing Jimmy Raye could have done as our running game was gaining solid yards. Gore should have had 20+ carries in this game.

Raye is all or nothing and this game was more his fault than Alex Smith's. Yes, Vince Young didn't do what Smith did but Young had ample time to throw because his team stuck with what was working, the run game. We should have done the same.
Originally posted by Joecool:

1. Accuracy issues: For the most part, QBs are either accurate or they are not. This is a trait that rarely magically appears.

2. Staring down receivers: This is something that could get better with more playing time but it is also difficult to get away from but not as difficult as #1. If and when it clicks, he should be staring the defense down and not his receivers.

3. Avoiding the Strip-Sack: Most QBs never fix this issue. Shaun Hill was very, very good at clamping onto the ball when he sensed pressure. Take a look at Smith's fumble-totals in his career and you won't be surprised as to why he put 2 on the ground yesterday.

All-in-all, we threw 51 times with a QB who is still learning and most importantly trying to gain confidence in himself. That was the worst thing Jimmy Raye could have done as our running game was gaining solid yards. Gore should have had 20+ carries in this game.

Raye is all or nothing and this game was more his fault than Alex Smith's. Yes, Vince Young didn't do what Smith did but Young had ample time to throw because his team stuck with what was working, the run game. We should have done the same.

Pretty much agree with the conclusion. I'm not giving up on Alex yet, but I'm not sold either. He has the talent...but will it materialize?
A. Smith was as bad as his stats. Doesn't mean we should yank him, but he needs to start winning games.
3 Ints and 2 fumbles is unacceptable for an nfl QB. A High School QB would get benched for that play.

Has there ever been a game where Alex Smith HASN'T turned over the ball?

I'm curious to see what he'll do against an angry Bears team and then playing in the Frozen Tundra in a very hostile environment.

... and yes ... I'm preparing myself for more Alexcusessesssssssss!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

yes sir

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by Joecool:

Pretty much agree with the conclusion. I'm not giving up on Alex yet, but I'm not sold either. He has the talent...but will it materialize?

He's been in the league since 05'...what do you think...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:

Has there ever been a game where Alex Smith HASN'T turned over the ball?

I'm curious to see what he'll do against an angry Bears team and then playing in the Frozen Tundra in a very hostile environment.

... and yes ... I'm preparing myself for more Alexcusessesssssssss!

Well if it makes you feel any better, we beat the Bears the last two times they were here.
Originally posted by sincalniner:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
1. The Fumble wasn't his fault. Fluke play
2. 1st INT was also a fluke play -- right place, right time by the D
3. 3rd INT was Morgan's fault -- right place, right time by the D

Didn't look awesome (of course), but looked good in the 2 min drill (again) and made one big mistake (pick #2).

O-line didn't help him at all

Dude I'm with you on this, however you need to go and hide under your bed because all the "smith sucks" crowd is coming for you, NOW!

Webzone is bipolar.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I know why a lot of people always back him up no matter how badly he plays. The thing is he is a nice guy, looks like a good person, had to deal with some adversity blah blah blah. However the fact is that he just don't have that "it" factor, and he never will.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
1. The Fumble wasn't his fault. Fluke play
2. 1st INT was also a fluke play -- right place, right time by the D
3. 3rd INT was Morgan's fault -- right place, right time by the D

Didn't look awesome (of course), but looked good in the 2 min drill (again) and made one big mistake (pick #2).

O-line didn't help him at all

This thread reminds me of the Adolf Hitler/ Crabtree youtube video someone posted.

Where Hitler says "Stop making excuses for Smith!"
Share 49ersWebzone