There are 189 users in the forums

Dashon Goldson's progress

Shop Find 49ers gear online
next year goldson will be beasts
Originally posted by Thrash88:
We were playing cover 3 meaning Spencer was supposed to get deep so yes he was the mistake there Goldson was where he should have been, he's also got an interception made some nice tackles and he forced a fumble to help keep us alive against the Texans. He's played well and yes he has made a few MENTAL mistakes but he's a gifted athlete so once his head catches up to his talent level he'll be a keeper. Clements missing that tackled on Slaton really pissed me off Willis got blocked in the back and then Clements who NEVER WRAPS just flies in and misses. He is a hard hitter for a cornerback but he's not a sure tackler ever, he always comes flying below the waiste and never uses his hands he just uses his shoulders. It cost us the touchdown and it cost us a touchdown against the falcons too, mental mistakes, wrap up and make the tackle live to play another down.

Willis didn't get just get blocked in the back, he was outright grabbed! I'm surprised no one made mention of it , esp when running the replay. The announcers simply ignored what was flagrantly visible. That could have been a field goal instaed of a TD and we would have won the gamew by 1 point! Yeah, I know, what if's.
It isn't expected for every-frikkin player at every frikkin position to be lighting up the world within their first three years.
He is averaging 6 tackles a game and has a FF and a pick. Pretty good start for a career. He isn't Ed Reed. I would really like to see Smith at FS and Goldson at SS next year.
Originally posted by superman49er:
ill take erik berry or taylor mays in the draft

Taylor Mays is so overrated. People are so enamored with his size and speed but he is constantly out of position and isn't a huge playmaker. He forgets to wrap when he tackles too. Eric Berry is going to be a really special player and a Patrick Willis type in the secondary.

Goldson is doing fine. He's made a few plays for us and continues to improve every week. Gradually I think he'll turn into a ball hawk. The guy really has some wheels.
Just asking: does EVERY player have to be all-pro immediately? Do we not give guys time to grow and adjust to their role?

Maybe it's possible that Goldson won't turn into Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed, but instead will turn into a very solid starter that is an upgrade over the guy who played there last year?

Personally, I think he's playing good football. Not great, but better than Roman last year. Hopefully he can continue to improve. But if not, that doesn't mean he's a bust or disappointment.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
You guys musta been expecting waaaay too much.

He has a forced fumble and INT and hasn't gotten beat deep too often. You have to remember he's only started what 6 games? II think he's doing pretty good for having only started 6 games.

If we can get Mays or Berry we take one of them but for now I think Goldson has been solid. By the end of the season he'll be a very good player.
We haven't really been getting destroyed with the long ball that much. He's definitely a lot better than Roman. More reliable tackler, faster, and better cover man.
I like his hair
I know the poster of this thread is questioning Goldson's play. Well now he gets to wear the radio helmet with the green dot.

free safety Dashon Goldson has replaced Patrick Willis as the man with the green dot-MM's blog

I thought Goldson was a ballhawk so why no INT's yet
  • pd24
  • Veteran
he is going to be wearing the radio helmet according to MM.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
What happened to this guy being our playmaker at safety? Do you think it is just him learning the defense better or do we need a real saefty in FA or the draft?

Does he have even 1 INT? Where are the big hits on receivers? I know he caused the fumble this week against Texas by yanking the ball out.

On the Owen Daniels TD, he appears to loose Daniels and turns to run to the wrong side of the field, and even then he was way behind the receiver that Clements had covered deep anyway. It clearly looked like Dashon was lost on the play. But interestingly, Spencer took the blame for that play, even though he was the corner to the other side. I find it hard to believe that was Spencer's responsibility, sounds more like Spencer is showing leadership taking responsibility in the press for something not his fault.

PS: Can Spencer and Clements trade game checks every time Spencer out-performs Clements?

I know, lets annoint Mark Roman the starter for the remainder of the season.
Originally posted by backontop:
I thought Goldson was a ballhawk so why no INT's yet

He's created two turnovers this season (1 interception and 1 fumble force), all while taking on the starting Free Saftey position. I think he's done just fine.
  • DJD
  • Veteran
He was just awarded the 'GREEN DOT' today (per barrows)

link
Share 49ersWebzone