LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

No sacks allowed in 2nd half

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Some O line changes were made but can u consider them major ? Other than Wragge making a cameo everyone else was the same .

Alex Smith is more mobile has the ability to slip away like we have seen him do it especially in the 06 Seattle game .

So either our O line is good enough as long as a QB is mobile
or Alex makes everyone better.
oh an alex bandwagon thread

lol have fun before the merge
Originally posted by billybonka:

It's more about the O line .
Have to use Smith as example cuz that's who we have seen , what if Vick was back there ? I doubt the O line wouldve given up that many sacks
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:

Have to use Smith as example cuz that's who we have seen , what if Vick was back there ? I doubt the O line wouldve given up that many sacks

Vick actually took a lot of sacks in the preseason games he played. 3 or 4 in one of the games IIRC. He doesn't have the wheels he used to before prison and he might not regain them. To be honest I think the OL did play better with Sims at RT. I wouldn't mind seeing Wragge replace Chilo instead of Snyder but oh well. I hope Pashos is okay since he's a good player though, but I thought Barry Sims played pretty well.

no, but they did get pressure only rushing three on our last possession which is NOT ok!
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Vick actually took a lot of sacks in the preseason games he played. 3 or 4 in one of the games IIRC. He doesn't have the wheels he used to before prison and he might not regain them. To be honest I think the OL did play better with Sims at RT. I wouldn't mind seeing Wragge replace Chilo instead of Snyder but oh well. I hope Pashos is okay since he's a good player though, but I thought Barry Sims played pretty well.

Pashos isn't a good player. The o line improved once he went out.
Our O-line is still a problem. That last play could have been huge if Smith had just another .5 seconds to set and throw. The supposed increase in production by the O line in not allowing a sack was for two reasons that I saw,

1. Alex’s mobility. He escaped several potential sacks that would have crushed Hill
2. Alex’s ability to complete the deep routes. The D could not blitz like crazy because Alex was beating them with his arm requiring them to put more guys in coverage. Hence 3-4 rushing compared with 5-7.

Our O line really needs some work but Smith did appear to make them look a lot better.
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
Our O-line is still a problem. That last play could have been huge if Smith had just another .5 seconds to set and throw....

DING!-DING!-DING! You win the prize!!!

The problem IS the O-line. The problem IS the O-line. The problem IS the O-line.
The problem IS the O-line. The problem IS the O-line. The problem IS the O-line.

Hill was effective until getting beat to a pulp because the O-line sucks. The same thing will happen to Alex. The problem IS THE O-LINE!
Plus the niners played mostly in the shotgun/spread formation in the 2nd half and Houston rarely blitzed.

• dust-7
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:

Hill was effective until getting beat to a pulp because the O-line sucks. The same thing will happen to Alex. The problem IS THE O-LINE!

I think Alex watches game after game as Hill becames more and more jumpy, he wasn't last season. And Alex says to himself - you rush right in my face, and I'm still completing that pass. Hill was just thinking about getting killed out there. And 'noodle arm' couldn't rifle it out.

Teams will now prepare for Smith. They know he was Hill a few years ago, jumpy as anything because he was always under pressure. A guy who would throw a five yd pass - three yds. If this 'new' Alex welcomes the pressure, it will be a different outcome.

But if they don't have the O-line that can pass protect - what did Walsh teach us? Mooove the line. Get mobile out there. Try something called a 'Walsh' coast offense. Whatever the origins, the final version started in SF.

Is cover-2 really that invincible?
[ Edited by dust-7 on Oct 26, 2009 at 9:52 AM ]
Originally posted by dwy621:
Plus the niners played mostly in the shotgun/spread formation in the 2nd half and Houston rarely blitzed.

Yeah its probably a different story if Smith played in the 1st half. But then again, teams now have to gameplan against a semi-mobile QB whereas Shaun Hill was a pocket passer with little capabilities of running. When DE know the QB can't run, they rush in with a full head of steam. If it's a mobile QB, then they have to be more smart with their technique
We need much work on the Oline. But until the draft we have to patchwork it. So if need be, get another RT off the dump and put him in. Replace Rachal with Wragge. Maybe Boone will soon be ready. But Smith gave us a little relief and no sacks in the second half. Next week will be interesting. If Smith pans out there is hope for the offense, some improvement in the line, more production, more time for the defense to rest, and more points, and more time to get in sync as an offense. Hopefully this will lead to wins in the season.
Yup, no sacks is what happens when you have crap for an OL, and suddenly you switch to a QB who can get rid of it quicker, plus has some mobility. That still didn't keep Baas from being shoved back into alex on the last play of the game. To repeat:
We have 2 first rd picks, and need two starting OLs, even if one is OG. ADDITIONALLY. we need an all pro OG or OT in FA. There will be one, there almost always is. Last yr it was Faneca, yr before it was Dielman (SD), several yrs before it was Hutchinson (SEA to VIKES), etc. McCLOWN has screwed up by not paying Smiley $5mil/yr as opposed to $4mil/ yr, and now he blocks for the #1 rushing offense in nfl.
Yo scot, when are you gonna wake up and get us 3 starting O linemen. Baas, heitmann, snyder, wragge are all great subs...but not starters. Pashos, Sims...they don't have it either. We need 3, THREE, starters on our OL. Staley is solid, Chilo needs a decent OL coach(we need an all pro OL coach also), and then we need 3 starters. Forget the 2nd and 3rd rds. We need 2 OLs in first rd. And forget the BPA. We already got a shedful of tweeners, that aren't starters. No mas. Please.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
Our O-line is still a problem. That last play could have been huge if Smith had just another .5 seconds to set and throw....

DING!-DING!-DING! You win the prize!!!

So if Hill would have gone in the second half, would he have thrown 3 tds? NOPE!dont know if you noticed but Jimmy Raye opened up his playbook because of Smith's ability to THROW the ball not PUNT-LIKE-THROW the ball. Dude, Hill hadnt thrown 1 ball with 5 yrs in the league. He's a career back-up dude.
Share 49ersWebzone