3 shaun hill

4 owen daniels
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by lamontb:
1 o line
2 special teams
3 shaun hill

4 owen daniels

Why can't we cover a freaking tight end? Shiancoe burned us, Gonzales burned us, and Daniels burned us. I know we can't shutdown every star TE, but it seems like every guy who is known around the NFL for being a decent TE lights us up. This is ridiculous. We need to drop Willis in coverage on the TE, or something. I don't know but that has been the main weakness of our D, covering the TE.
The other team scored more points than we did!
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
1 o line
2 special teams
3 shaun hill

4 owen daniels

Why can't we cover a freaking tight end? Shiancoe burned us, Gonzales burned us, and Daniels burned us. I know we can't shutdown every star TE, but it seems like every guy who is known around the NFL for being a decent TE lights us up. This is ridiculous. We need to drop Willis in coverage on the TE, or something. I don't know but that has been the main weakness of our D, covering the TE.

Many teams in the NFL can't cover the TE. The pass catching TE is a defensive miss-match.
We were out coached AGAIN
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
1 o line
2 special teams
3 shaun hill

4 owen daniels

Many teams in the NFL can't cover the TE. The pass catching TE is a defensive miss-match.

And it's even more difficult when playing against teams that have very good WR's, which takes pressure off the TE. In Minny we had to account for Harvin, against Atlanta we had to deal with White (which we did poorly), and Houston has Andre Johnson.

You can't double team them all.
shaun hill or jto jr
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
While Smith brought us back, i'm gonna put some blame on him.

The two delay of game penalties were absolutely brutal. That should NOT happen. Maybe it was rust, communication, i dunno but that's on him. Also, the ball looked force on the interception.

-9fA

They actually allowed us to have 2 TO's left at the end of the game. I think it was more of a late playcalling issue then it was Alex's poor execution.

I am amazed ANYONE could critisize Smith's performance yesterday. He was lights out.
  • kdogg
  • Veteran
I'll try a different angle...

Coaching/Playcalling

I blame Raye or whoever is getting the plays called in really late. It's Alex job to hustle up the snap, but it seems the play is coming in way too late. We lost for the other posted reasons, too. It seems the QB is always rushing, and he never has time to audible (even though I haven't seen an obvious audible being made this season so far).

The two delay of game penalties were absolutely brutal. That should NOT happen. Maybe it was rust, communication, i dunno but that's on him. Also, the ball looked force on the interception.

-9fA

dude the dude came in when we are 21 under and he had to deal with the crowds and noise and a rookie WR and dumpass Ray playcalling and meddling Sing and Hill's Vodo looks form the sideline () and all of that and you want him to be perfect coming off the bench ! Oh lord i am defending the guy i don't like Alex

Previous posts hit the main points, but here are a couple of things:

Not blaming the officials, but there were several obvious holdings by Houston that were critical to their successful offensive plays that were not called. They were so obvious on the replays it was astounding they were "no calls."

The delay of game penalties did not look to be Smith's fault at all. Raye or the sideline were calling in the plays late, and once the plays did not match the personell the sidelines had sent in to the huddle. To me, it was obvious the offensive players and staff were not well organized for the change in game strategy to more downfield pass plays - thats on the coaching, NOT Smith. As a matter of fact, Smith showed a pretty smart move in warning his players NOT to signal time-out as he had to "walk away from a play" and instead take the 5 yrd penalty for delay of game.

-9fA

I agree with the game management, but also blame the coaches. They were the ones sending in the plays and burning time as well. I am not sure why on one of those a coach didn't call a timeout.

Of course, someone on here would have found fault with that as well.

IMO, I saw a spark that hasn't been there all season in the 2nd half. Not sure if this was because Smith brought new formations that Houston wasn't ready for, or if
having Smith in there allowed the Coaches to open things up because he can throw the ball farther than 15 yards or not.

I guess we'll see. However, you can't put yourself in a hold like the 49ers did and expect to come back.

Screw people blaming Battle. Rossum muffed a few too. Crap, maybe we ought to put Crabtree back there right? That way he could be a one game wonder when he get's carted off the field.
1 o line
2 special teams
3 shaun hill

4 owen daniels

No LB'er in this league will stick with these TE's including Willis. It's gotta be more on the safeties combined with a LB'er. Even when Nate checked him he beat Nate. Daniels simply put was better than all the niners defenders. Same reason the opposing teams can't check VD. Regardless of what there .40 times were LB'ers can't stick TE's in this league anymore. Notice it seems like everybody has a great TE all of the sudden. It's b/c fundamentals have broken down for LB'ers somewhere. The safeties have to help out over the top of TE's running down the seams b/c LB'ers can't check them. Niners safeties aren't' looking that impressive. Add in the fact that this team generates 0 pass rush letting TE's find soft spots when they play zone.
because 24 > 21
Brian Billick's "Fox Tox" equation provided a perfect explanation to why we lost.
Share 49ersWebzone