49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 581 users in the forums

You've got to be kidding......

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by adrenaline:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
"No returning: Tight end Delanie Walker, who returned four kickoffs in the Atlanta game, will not return kicks Sunday in Houston. That duty goes to rookie running back Glen Coffee."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/23/SP371A9GD8.DTL

So we replace the joke of having a TE as our primary return man, and replace him with.........a slow RB with very little movement. If we just want to find the biggest man to return the ball lets just put Joe Staley back there, he was a TE after all......

Guys we have on the team with return experience:

Nate Clements
Reggie Smith (great return man in college)
Arnez Battle


I mean come on, can we at least put a guy back there who has a chance to break one for a big gain?

I think Reggie Smith is injured. But, I would like him to return kicks when he's finally healthy.

He has to be close to coming back at this point...Last we heard it was a two week thing and that was in September.
So who is offically returning kickoffs M. Robinson, D. Walker or Glenn Coffee?

I need to know... I have return men acquire points in my fantasy leauge. Thanks
Originally posted by mustangmele:
So who is offically returning kickoffs M. Robinson, D. Walker or Glenn Coffee?

I need to know... I have return men acquire points in my fantasy leauge. Thanks

Robinson.
Coach wants guys who run returns up the middle, leveling anyone who tries to tackle him. All this speed and dodging tacklers stuff is sissy and will not be tolerated.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
  • Posts: 122,133
Now Robinson is returning kicks.

I actually like Walker returning kicks, and Robinsons just back there to block. Walker is faster than most of our receivers. Besides we need to save Spurlock for the Wildcat.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,341
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Lets give him a chance before we judge this move.

I still don't know why we released Rossum and kept Spurlock.

Agreed, this seems like a stupid mistake to me. What we are doing with our receivers just seems stupid. We clearly need more o-linemen.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
What's really funny is that anyone would actually suggest that Nate Clements should return kicks. Yes.. lets have our starting corner risk injury and return kicks when he doesnt have the speed to take anything the distance anyway.

Coffee, Battle, whatever... I think the Niners have much more pressing worries like stopping Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub.

Maybe you don't understand the significance of field position in a football game. And I don't really want to hear about protecting a football player by not playing him in certain situations. Clements is a big man and he could handle the hits. He plays a physical style of football and he has proven to be a tough player. Plus he is the most dangerous return man on this team.

LOL OK Mr. Football expert. Ya.. its rocket science to understand the importance of field position.

Perhaps YOU do not understand that Clements has returned 1 - YES 1 - kickoff in the last 7 years. That went for a whopping 14 yards. The only year he really returned kicks was his rookie year and he averaged 20 yards. I just wonder how you call him the most dangerous kick off return man with that record. If he had Deion Sanders skills sure I would use him. However, he doesnt. WIth that in mind it would be foolish to risk him to injury.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
What's really funny is that anyone would actually suggest that Nate Clements should return kicks. Yes.. lets have our starting corner risk injury and return kicks when he doesnt have the speed to take anything the distance anyway.

Coffee, Battle, whatever... I think the Niners have much more pressing worries like stopping Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub.

Maybe you don't understand the significance of field position in a football game. And I don't really want to hear about protecting a football player by not playing him in certain situations. Clements is a big man and he could handle the hits. He plays a physical style of football and he has proven to be a tough player. Plus he is the most dangerous return man on this team.

LOL OK Mr. Football expert. Ya.. its rocket science to understand the importance of field position.

Perhaps YOU do not understand that Clements has returned 1 - YES 1 - kickoff in the last 7 years. That went for a whopping 14 yards. The only year he really returned kicks was his rookie year and he averaged 20 yards. I just wonder how you call him the most dangerous kick off return man with that record. If he had Deion Sanders skills sure I would use him. However, he doesnt. WIth that in mind it would be foolish to risk him to injury.

Does the Name Jason Seahorn ring a bell here? It should!
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
What's really funny is that anyone would actually suggest that Nate Clements should return kicks. Yes.. lets have our starting corner risk injury and return kicks when he doesnt have the speed to take anything the distance anyway.

Coffee, Battle, whatever... I think the Niners have much more pressing worries like stopping Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub.

Maybe you don't understand the significance of field position in a football game. And I don't really want to hear about protecting a football player by not playing him in certain situations. Clements is a big man and he could handle the hits. He plays a physical style of football and he has proven to be a tough player. Plus he is the most dangerous return man on this team.

LOL OK Mr. Football expert. Ya.. its rocket science to understand the importance of field position.

Perhaps YOU do not understand that Clements has returned 1 - YES 1 - kickoff in the last 7 years. That went for a whopping 14 yards. The only year he really returned kicks was his rookie year and he averaged 20 yards. I just wonder how you call him the most dangerous kick off return man with that record. If he had Deion Sanders skills sure I would use him. However, he doesnt. WIth that in mind it would be foolish to risk him to injury.

Does the Name Jason Seahorn ring a bell here? It should!

Yep. If I am not mistaken he actually got hurt returning a kick in a preseason game. It basically ended his career. To me, you have to consider injuries when you think about putting a key starter in as a kick off returner.

Boomer.. would you have Frank Gore return kicks? Hell.. he is a great runner and could probably be effective. The answer.. of course you wouldnt because he is too valuable as our starting running back and the team pays him a LOT of money to be an all Pro back.

"You have got to be kidding me" - for even suggesting something as lame as having Clements return the kicks.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Oct 24, 2009 at 3:06 PM ]
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 347
Where is the local media at on this subject? How can MS or Scotty get a pass with having 7 WR's, only 3 of which play, and no returner? A team that wants to be a power running /defensive team has to put a priority on field position. There has to be a FA out there that will produce better than MR on kick returns and Battle on punt returns.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
He's faster and shiftier than Walker? He is a running back, I don't see how he can do any worse.

Have you seen Coffee run? I was actually bowling the other night, and I threw a ball that was faster and shiftier than he is.

It's SPILLER TIME!!
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
What's really funny is that anyone would actually suggest that Nate Clements should return kicks. Yes.. lets have our starting corner risk injury and return kicks when he doesnt have the speed to take anything the distance anyway.

Coffee, Battle, whatever... I think the Niners have much more pressing worries like stopping Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub.

Maybe you don't understand the significance of field position in a football game. And I don't really want to hear about protecting a football player by not playing him in certain situations. Clements is a big man and he could handle the hits. He plays a physical style of football and he has proven to be a tough player. Plus he is the most dangerous return man on this team.

LOL OK Mr. Football expert. Ya.. its rocket science to understand the importance of field position.

Perhaps YOU do not understand that Clements has returned 1 - YES 1 - kickoff in the last 7 years. That went for a whopping 14 yards. The only year he really returned kicks was his rookie year and he averaged 20 yards. I just wonder how you call him the most dangerous kick off return man with that record. If he had Deion Sanders skills sure I would use him. However, he doesnt. WIth that in mind it would be foolish to risk him to injury.

I dont know for sure if Clements got hurt on punt returns today but this just reinforces what I said a couple of weeks ago in this thread. It was a stupid idea to ever suggest using Nate for returns. Hey Boomer... still like Nate as a returner?
I thought robinson did well at returning Kick offs
Originally posted by ads_2006:
I thought robinson did well at returning Kick offs

19.8 yards a return is terrible.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone