There are 248 users in the forums

What IF Martz was Still our OC ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
We would probably be leading the league in turnovers, sacks, and be dead last in rushing.

We weren't dead last when Martz was here so how are we dead last if he was STILL here? I'm confused by the logic.

As for sacks allowed? Well this run-oriented offense is STILL tops at sacks allowed.

The line seems worse than last year, which would make the offense even worse than last year.

The blocking is worse because the scheme is worse and a lot more predictable. That also factors into the logic here. You simply can't directly deduce if Martz was here the offense would be worse. The personnel is the same or better than last year on the OL so it leads me to believe predictable play-calling and poor scheming has just as much to do with the poor offense as your hypothesis being the personnel.

Jimmy Raye is Jim Hostler Jr.

Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
They should of kept Martz!!!! People keep saying, "Round peg, square hole." or "doesnt fit into the personality of the offense" THIS NINERS OFFENSE DOESNT HAVE PERSONALITY!!! All they have is one elite player, Gore. Davis is good. Staley is pretty good and will be great. Martz knows thats bums shouldnt be calling audibles or be very conservative. How the hell can they tell the league oh we are gonna be conservative on offense? Well why dont they just tell them what play there running. Martz knew that when you have one weapon that unfortunately you gotta use him to keep the defense honest. Could you imagine Crabtree in Martz's offense? Makes you wonder why would they draft a wr in run first offense with a terrible line. Big question is who is gonna be the OC next year or will singletary deny he made a mistake and stick with this clown. Maybe if he begs Martz will come back. Without him the niners are going to be one of the worst off in the league again. Oh and who cares if they didnt get along as long as your winning. Suck it up!! I gotta work with people I dont like but they help get the job done so who cares. OK Im done

Martz Offense can only mask Sahun Hill so long.

~Ceadder

Martz offense hides sh*tty QBs.... look at Bulger Kitna and JTO. Bulger and Kitna are below average starters but put up Pro Bowl numbers with Martz, JTO looked decent as a starter and he has the talent of a third stringer. Who cares if Hill got hurt....Smith isnt that much worse. And to you guys "oh he didnt use Gore correctly!" He did his best to keep him healthy(which isnt easy to do!) The 9ers wouldnt of thrown away a pick on coffee and would of picked up a starter. Face it Singletary doesnt know jack about offense and put a puppet at OC. He loves his power. Martz is an Offensive guy who didnt listen to Singletary because he knew he didnt know what he was talking about. And they still won games with this power struggle. Im just tired of watchin the 9ers bore me with all there 3n outs. Wait until the Defense folds from injuries because they never get off the field. Ulbrich and Lewis are just the beginning.

Ummmm dude, Kitna was no Peyton Manning but he had success LONG before he played under Martz. With both Seattle and Cincinatti. I don't think that anyone can blame Bulger for the problems of the Rams either. In fact he had a couple seasons of success under Martz in spite of having no Running game. JTO wasn't great but I think that if we would have had a better Line in front of him he would not have been as bad as he was. And I'm no fan of his so that should tell you that I'm at least willing to give the man credit. Our Offense was at least a higher scoring Offense than we had seen in a long time. Unfortunately he suffered from the same affliction that Shaun does. He holds onto the ball too long. The Bane of any Offensive unit.

~Ceadder
We would've scored more points
Originally posted by AKfanster:

2009 22.4 per game
2008 21.2 per game
Originally posted by redmanc07:

2009 22.4 per game
2008 21.2 per game

this stat is miss leading, special teams and defense have scored plenty of the points for the team this year
I wanted to keep him, he could have altered his coaching approach to Singletarys liking, plus our passing game would have been more effective.
Jimmy Raye has always run a boring offense, I'm hoping something is done in regards to the play selection, more creativity and stop being so obvious would be a good start.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
We would probably be leading the league in turnovers, sacks, and be dead last in rushing.

We weren't dead last when Martz was here so how are we dead last if he was STILL here? I'm confused by the logic.

As for sacks allowed? Well this run-oriented offense is STILL tops at sacks allowed.

The line seems worse than last year, which would make the offense even worse than last year.

The blocking is worse because the scheme is worse and a lot more predictable. That also factors into the logic here. You simply can't directly deduce if Martz was here the offense would be worse. The personnel is the same or better than last year on the OL so it leads me to believe predictable play-calling and poor scheming has just as much to do with the poor offense as your hypothesis being the personnel.

Jimmy Raye is Jim Hostler Jr.

wrong he is Jim Hostler SR.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
IF Martz was still OC, Hill would not be starting. Another QB would probably be picked up from the streets and would have supplanted Hill of the starting role 2 weeks before the regular season

And that unknown guy would have thrown for multiple 300 yards since we now have a better WR corp. So by hiring raye some poor guy bagging groceries will never experience success in the NFL because Martz was not retained. Interesting.

Or Hill could have remained the starter.
[ Edited by fister30 on Oct 19, 2009 at 7:50 AM ]
Originally posted by meickue:
Originally posted by redmanc07:

2009 22.4 per game
2008 21.2 per game

this stat is miss leading, special teams and defense have scored plenty of the points for the team this year

how is that stat misleading its pretty simple we score more points per game this year compared to last year
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
nope cause if Martz is still the OC then JTO would still be the qb cause he's the best Mad Mike has seen since Kurt Love

Actually I think Smith would have ended up as the starting QB under martz.
Originally posted by fister30:
Actually I think Smith would have ended up as the starting QB under martz.

Thank God it that didn't happen.
Can we lock this? hindsight is always 20/20...
Right now, it doesn't matter as much who our OC is, or even who our QB is with this Offensive Line. The Offensive Line is horrible, the only thing Hill can do is get rid of the ball quickly. Smith would probably be hurt again with this line.

There's no time to let a play develop for a pass, and there are no holes for the running backs.

A better question would be what is McKittrick was alive and still our O line coach. These guys are either underperforming based on their draft position, or Scotty made some bad picks. We have 2nd rounders for guards that let defensive lines into our backfield with little resistance.

A better O Coordinator could run some misdirection to keep the D off balance, but our prime problem is the line and we will only get as far as they can take us.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
It's the bye week. Might as well kill some time.........

So what IF Martz was still our OC ? Would we be a better team right now ? I think so. Our defense has been playing great. And Martz, despite making some blunder calls last year, still knew how to move the chains and use Hill effectively. I think we would have been a MUCH better offense with his playbook, not to mention the team would have acclimated to his calls after year 2, and probably would be 4-1 going into the bye.

Your thoughts ?

he woulda quit
Share 49ersWebzone