There are 142 users in the forums

When speeches cost us TD and turnovers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:
A) His dumb pep talk didn't work as the Falcons scored on a deep touchdown pass the very next play.

B) Later, we couldn't challenge an important play because we didn't have any timeouts left.

Blame that on Coffee who thought it would be a good time to get a drink when the rest of his team was running down field to line up. What Coach did was try to rally his troops because they were playing flat. Something no one can blame him for doing.
Oh Oh Oh...Okay, now I get it. Yeah I totally agree. That speech he gave the team really lost the game for us. It was a horrible speech and if I had my way Singletary would be fired. No if ands or buts.
Nice thread ! We got some real thinkers on the zone.
What bugs me about that is that fact that he actually believes that he possesses some sort of magic power that can fix things with a 30-second pep talk. That's what I mean when I say he is a bit egomaniac. He said that he wants players that understand it's not about them. I think he needs to use this BYE week to reflect and realize that it's not about HIM, either.
looks like ur neck is twisted towards something else because your not thinking straight. you blame singletary for that? the teams s**tty, selfish play today cost us the win, not singletary. the players were unfocused, selfish and sloppy with their actions
  • Mex49
Originally posted by NinerForLife:
Originally posted by Mex49:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
OK..........this was a waste of a thread, but lets give it some purpose.

I like Sing's approach to the game; his toughness, his old school mentality, etc. etc.

And there are times when you need to huddle the team together and give them a peptalk. BUT what he did today was NOT the time. This is not pop warner football, folks. These are professionals who have played in MANY games in MANY situations. They know when to pick things up. Now, I can understand calling a TO because your defense is winded. Or even if the opposition is making a final gamewinning drive and you want to make sure everyone is on the same page.

But really....calling a timeout in the FIRST QUARTER to give your team a pep-talk ? Is that really necessary ? Could he not have just waited for the next tv timeout or at the end of the quarter. Wasted TO which led to Walker's non-fumble going unchallenged..........

I am really too worked up to think straight and this thread was a little thin in substance but he cost us a turnover plain and simple.
Just out of curiosity, what do his players think about it... "He is a HOF, he is wonderful"

Sing saw the same thing everone watching the game saw, a team playing flat and about to go down hill because of poor attitude. Unlike us though, he is in a position to do something about it. He took the time to address the team to pick it up and start playing like they are capable of.

As far as the "professionals" playing in today's game, that is debatable from their actions on the field. Everone was playing flat and with no emotion. It's like they believed the media hype and expected the Falcon's to be an easy win.

Maybe he should have pulled his coaches aside then. How long had it been since they left the locker room. 15 minutes? What more are you going to say. You had all week to get that s**t across. Maybe Singletary didn't have them ready. He had a whole week to make his point.

He cost us a turnover. that is the fact
  • capsurvivor52
  • Info N/A
I would put more blame on Coffee for leaving the field on Morgans long pass and not being ready for the play, which cost us a timeout because the personnel wasn't there.

I agree. A big rookie mistake cost us a timeout. A blown coverage cost us a TD. Not protecting the ball cost us a turnover. Calling a timeout did not cost us a win.
Originally posted by capsurvivor52:
I would put more blame on Coffee for leaving the field on Morgans long pass and not being ready for the play, which cost us a timeout because the personnel wasn't there.

I agree. A big rookie mistake cost us a timeout. A blown coverage cost us a TD. Not protecting the ball cost us a turnover. Calling a timeout did not cost us a win.

CALLING THAT TIMEOUT COST US A f**kING CHALLENGE. FALCONS GO ON AND SCORE AGAIN. IT f**kING COST US. DON'T TELL ME IT DIDN'T. SINGLETARY f**kED UP.

I like Sing's approach to the game; his toughness, his old school mentality, etc. etc.

And there are times when you need to huddle the team together and give them a peptalk. BUT what he did today was NOT the time. This is not pop warner football, folks. These are professionals who have played in MANY games in MANY situations. They know when to pick things up. Now, I can understand calling a TO because your defense is winded. Or even if the opposition is making a final gamewinning drive and you want to make sure everyone is on the same page.

But really....calling a timeout in the FIRST QUARTER to give your team a pep-talk ? Is that really necessary ? Could he not have just waited for the next tv timeout or at the end of the quarter. Wasted TO which led to Walker's non-fumble going unchallenged..........

I am really too worked up to think straight and this thread was a little thin in substance but he cost us a turnover plain and simple.
Just out of curiosity, what do his players think about it... "He is a HOF, he is wonderful"

Sing saw the same thing everone watching the game saw, a team playing flat and about to go down hill because of poor attitude. Unlike us though, he is in a position to do something about it. He took the time to address the team to pick it up and start playing like they are capable of.

As far as the "professionals" playing in today's game, that is debatable from their actions on the field. Everone was playing flat and with no emotion. It's like they believed the media hype and expected the Falcon's to be an easy win.

Maybe he should have pulled his coaches aside then. How long had it been since they left the locker room. 15 minutes? What more are you going to say. You had all week to get that s**t across. Maybe Singletary didn't have them ready. He had a whole week to make his point.

He cost us a turnover. that is the fact

You're wasting your breath. People are so enamored with him that thinks he is a mix of Don Shula/Bill Walsh/Vince Lombardi instead of what he really is: a 1st year HC with great potential that HAS A LOT TO LEARN.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by ImMikeHunt:
Singletary just stretched his neck over the chopping block.

Wow. What the heck are you on about?

What are you English? The man is not bullet proof and the chinks in his armour are showing.

Holmgren/ Haskell in 10
  • Mex49
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
looks like ur neck is twisted towards something else because your not thinking straight. you blame singletary for that? the teams s**tty, selfish play today cost us the win, not singletary. the players were unfocused, selfish and sloppy with their actions

Wait right there, "s**tty Selfish" play is a coaching issue. Why are you defending him. were you this nice with Nolan

• Mex49
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by capsurvivor52:

CALLING THAT TIMEOUT COST US A f**kING CHALLENGE. FALCONS GO ON AND SCORE AGAIN. IT f**kING COST US. DON'T TELL ME IT DIDN'T. SINGLETARY f**kED UP.

Thank you Method. Why all the nut f**king going on in here. we lost and now the hard questions need to be aked. We beat s**tty teams and lost to average ones. we deserve the hard questions to be answered. and it all starts at the top. How quickly we forget that Nolan the HC was the root of all evil, but oh Sing, we love you so.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:
A) His dumb pep talk didn't work as the Falcons scored on a deep touchdown pass the very next play.

B) Later, we couldn't challenge an important play because we didn't have any timeouts left.

Blame that on Coffee who thought it would be a good time to get a drink when the rest of his team was running down field to line up. What Coach did was try to rally his troops because they were playing flat. Something no one can blame him for doing.

You are going to blame a Rookie but not the HOFer coach that put him in a bad situation to begin with.

Agree
Funny thing is he called a similar timeout earlier this year and everyone praised him for it because the team picked up the play. This time, the team gives up a 90 yard TD pass.

The blame could be on Coffee for leaving the field, quitting on the drive. Or how about Morgan for letting up before getting into the endzone, quitting on the play. Gimme a break.

Too many people f***ed up today with bad play that no one person is to blame. The entire collective looked like crap today.
Coffee's mistake cost us a touchdown more than Sings speach did.
Share 49ersWebzone